Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire in Spain - any recommendations?

• 08-08-2013 10:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Heading to Spain soon with some friends and we were considering hiring a car.

Is it like most things best to book as far in advance as possible?

I know recommendations are subjective but can anyone suggest any reputable companies or websites where we might get the best deal.

Basically looking for something big enough for 4 adults like a Fiesta/Focus that would be comfortable and we'd be hiring it for a week.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

If you are flying into Malaga then Helle Hollis are very reputable

http://www.hellehollis.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

http://www.arguscarhire.ie/

We rented a car from this crowd when were in Spain. We asked if we need to take out the extra insurance thing to cover damage and the response was " as long as the car is in one piece, the company doesnt give ****". When we were returning the car. They just looked at it to check it was the car. No looking for tiny scratch to bill us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

There are many spanish car hire firms and they all have extras ( Just like Ryan air). There are also many virtual car hire firms that act as booking agents for many firms

I have used E-mail-car-hire.com before and am hiring a car in Reus in 3 weeks time using Goldcar ( booked directly). Came across a UK based site called hirecarsinspain.com which seems to have a good reputation

In short this is what you are looking at for most car hire co's in spain

1) Prices quoted with ZERO CDW ( Collion Damage Waiever ) excess normally exclude undercarriage, windscreen , tyres ,clutch , keys and wing mirror damage.

2) If you don't take out optional insurance to Goldcar approx €8.50 a day they block a minimum of €600 on your credit card ( more for larger cars). They do the same if you have your using your own excess insurance policy.

3) For hires > 3 days they all have a full return empty fuel policy. You pay for a full tank locally

So a weeks hire say for a Peugeot 208 say is €108 . Locally you would pay an extra €60 for insurance and €70 - €100 for a full tank .

So overall you bill is approx between €238 and €268

Hope this helps

Dak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

dak wrote: »
    There are many spanish car hire firms and they all have extras ( Just like Ryan air). There are also many virtual car hire firms that act as booking agents for many firms

I have used E-mail-car-hire.com before and am hiring a car in Reus in 3 weeks time using Goldcar ( booked directly). Came across a UK based site called hirecarsinspain.com which seems to have a good reputation

In short this is what you are looking at for most car hire co's in spain

1) Prices quoted with ZERO CDW ( Collion Damage Waiever ) excess normally exclude undercarriage, windscreen , tyres ,clutch , keys and wing mirror damage.

2) If you don't take out optional insurance to Goldcar approx €8.50 a day they block a minimum of €600 on your credit card ( more for larger cars). They do the same if you have your using your own excess insurance policy.

3) For hires > 3 days they all have a full return empty fuel policy. You pay for a full tank locally

So a weeks hire say for a Peugeot 208 say is €108 . Locally you would pay an extra €60 for insurance and €70 - €100 for a full tank .

So overall you bill is approx between €238 and €268

Hope this helps

Dak

Thanks, I looked on Argus and I think the price quoted is all inclusive. Around 100-130 euro for a compact car'.

Don't think I'll go near Goldcar.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Panama,
    Take a look at the fuel policy for each car on ArgusCarHire. The cheaper ones might have a Pick Up Full & Return Empty policy. So you will have to pay for a full tank of fuel when you pick up the car and return the car empty. You may pay above the odds for the full tank and they make money then when most people return the car with at least some fuel left in the tank.

See if there is a Pick Up Full & Return Full rental and if the price difference is worth it. Usually the reputable companies (Hertz, Avis, Europcar etc.) offer this.

I am off to Spain myself in a few weeks and have been looking at Argus & Ebookers. Car hire does seem to have gotten a lot more expensive than when we were there last year.

JT.

• Advertisement

jt_dublin wrote: »
    Panama,
    Take a look at the fuel policy for each car on ArgusCarHire. The cheaper ones might have a Pick Up Full & Return Empty policy. So you will have to pay for a full tank of fuel when you pick up the car and return the car empty. You may pay above the odds for the full tank and they make money then when most people return the car with at least some fuel left in the tank.

See if there is a Pick Up Full & Return Full rental and if the price difference is worth it. Usually the reputable companies (Hertz, Avis, Europcar etc.) offer this.

I am off to Spain myself in a few weeks and have been looking at Argus & Ebookers. Car hire does seem to have gotten a lot more expensive than when we were there last year.

JT.

Great advice cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Argus are brokers, not a car hire company so you'll have to look at each quote individually as jt said. I've used Cargest from Malaga a few times - full tank on pick up and return, one of the few in Malaga to offer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

If flying into Malaga, Malagacar are great. I use them anytime I go there and never had a problem, plus theyre very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

In Barcelona airport some of the lesser known car hire companies have their depots located miles away from the terminal building and a shuttle bus is required. It's annoying as you could have to wait for the bus for up to 30 mins as I found out myself this year. I would go with a big company like Hertz or Europcar any more even if they were a few € more expensive as they will be at the terminal.

Bump - has anyone booked a car online and picked up at Alicante airport as we plan to do?

Would appreciate if anyone can offer any advice, still looking for a good deal and heading in a couple of weeks so hoping to sort this asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Have used goldcars in Reus twice ( also based in ALicante airport) . Both times no issues . Car was new enough clean etc. I always take out the extra insurance €7 a day for Group CC . Including hire , petrol ( Full - empty policy) and insurance . Cost me €256 for 8 days.

If you don't take out the extra insurance I think they block €600/700 euro of your credit card until you return the car. Same applies if you have your own excess policy cover as far as I am aware.

Dak

Advertisement