Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Irish address but with UK postcode!

• 25-02-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

OK, I know I shouldn't have done it but I ordered books from a company in the UK, and put my address eg-Lindtee, ********,*******,cork,IRELAND, united kingdom w11 eee(or something!). I thought to myself well the prices of the books are unbeatable so I'll chance it-thinking it would have canceled before dispatch if anyone copped on.....Well the order has been shipped from the company and this is the info that came on the tracking-

25/02/2009 10:54:02 Wembley Depot Unable to Deliver Prime Sort error
    25/02/2009 11:01:03 Wembley Depot Despatched from
    25/02/2009 13:32:23 Wembley Depot Held in container

So I ask, what are the chances of me actually getting said books? Will they just go back to the company in question?

Anyone put in uk postcode with an Irish address before? Did you get your items? Obviously if contacted I cannot plead that I didn't know that delivery wasn't to Ireland as I put in a valid uk postcode!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I know it's frustrating when you want to order something from a UK seller or website and they don't ship to Ireland but adding a UK post code to your address isn't the answer.

If you do that, they'll either send the item to that post code and not your address or realise what you've done and cancel the order or get in contact with you to say, "WTF?"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bit late now

try None / Eire

not sure if there is an official royal mail post code for ROI but Belfast code is BT1 ... so it would get a a wee bit closer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I doubt you are going to get the books

There is no Royal Mail code for the RoI as Royal Mail do not sort and deliver mail in the RoI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks for the replies. Didn't think to put in a Northern Irish Postcode:o. Ah well, I just hope that I get my money back if they do go back to the company(which was www.schoollink.co.uk, a sister company of thebookpeople!). Live and learn. Was worth a try anyways. It was the only place that I could order a certain series of books for my son's birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A Northern Ireland postcode wouldn't make any difference, it'll still end up in the wrong place. If they don't ship to Ireland, then they don't ship to Ireland, there's no way around this fact.

You could email them and ask if it's possible to post them here, often this will work. Just tell them you're willing to pay whatever the extra postage is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

Bt1 1aa will and does work, received some books from play.com yesterday, with free uk postage.
    have used it before and works everytime.
    previous examples are hmv.co.uk
    amazon.co.uk
    figleaves.co.uk

its the postcode for the sorting office in belfast, they just process them through their office and pass tehm onto an post.
    just put in Eire into the address.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Its been despatched from the wembley sorting office probably on the way back to schoollink. Its not Royal Mail who deliver either, its a courier company so I'd say I have no chance at all of getting the books.

I'll chance contacting them, saying will pay extra postage to deliver to here, if it does go back to them and they contact me about it!

I'm hoping that there is an off-chance they will just forward it to me, with bookpeople.ie consignment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

UK postal code system is particularly good. Each code represents about 50 - 100 homes / businesses. The system is used by every delivery company int he uk & sat nav.

you could simply put an address as follows

9 pig lane, cm22 7pa,

Post from anywhere in the uk and it will arrive at the destination the next day.

so if you have w11 1aa it will go to the w11 district and if 1aa doesn't match the first line of the address written on the box, it is returned to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

9, CM22 7PA will get delivered

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

9, CM22 7PA will get delivered
    9 Twyford Mews, Pig Lane, BISHOP'S STORTFORD, CM22 7PA

9 Twyford Mill, Pig Lane, BISHOP'S STORTFORD, CM22 7PA

There is no flat 9 but there could be
    Flat 8, Twyford Mill, Pig Lane, BISHOP'S STORTFORD, CM22 7PA

http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/addressfinder

back here stuff like
    "the green house opposite Molloy's pub" gets delivered :D

• Advertisement

At least I'm getting a free lesson about postcodes out of the thing!
    No news yet from schoollink about item being sent back and this is the latest from the tracking number-
    26/02/2009 11:35:46 Sort Centre - Droitwich Spa Sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I use a postcode in Newry (when the systems needs a valid postcode), and it works for me.
    Sometimes the packagaes arrive with the postcode scribbled out and NOT NEWRY written on the it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

rameire wrote: »
    Bt1 1aa will and does work, received some books from play.com yesterday, with free uk postage.
    amazon.co.uk
    figleaves.co.uk

its the postcode for the sorting office in belfast, they just process them through their office and pass tehm onto an post.

play is free shipping to ireland so why not just put your real address and postcode?:rolleyes:

to be fair the guys in the sorting office in belfast must really hate us with a passion. i'd say they get litterally thousands of letters/packages coming through them every day for the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

amazon.co.uk
    figleaves.co.uk

Nice tip! I must try it on a small item and see if it works:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I love it!

The way posting is supposed to work is that they look at the last lines first and just toss it in whatever bag is appropriate. So they should just see the code and/or belfast and not bother reading the rest at that stage. This is why I have a pet-hate of UK companies listing Eire down, it will be an english person reading it in the post office, so it should be the english version of the country. I doubt these UK companies who write Eire use the Chinese spelling of China etc.

By the time it gets to belfast it is probably cheaper and easier to get it down south than across the sea again.
    play is free shipping to ireland so why not just put your real address and postcode?:rolleyes:
    There is no such thing as free shipping, there are no free ships, planes, or volunteer postmen that I know of. The postage is included in the price, then for Irish orders they force you to pay in euros, so the additional postage and/or markup is hidden in the poor exchange rate. So if you get to pay sterling on play, by using the uk address, you can make big savings compared to the UK address. Also stuff like gadgets will not be shipped outside the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 boogyboogy

Would this be a useful method of getting around the whole non delivery of electronic goods to ireland because the likes of amazon won't pay the wee charge on the good???

Well my order of books is going around in circles in Wembley! I just contacted school-link saying that I was a bit on the "slightly dense" side, that I did not realise that they didn't deliver to Ireland, and that I put in a uk postcode in error on my order.

On their site they have a section on Delivery costs and Ireland IS included on that list (7.99euro postage), https://www.schoollink.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HelpView?langId=100&storeId=10201&catalogId=21902&helpPage=DeliveryI quoted that and said that my children were oh-so-upset that they didn't get the books,(that are not available here(they are really, but at about 7 times the price)) I said I would pay the 7.99 on the order to put a smile on my oh-so sad children's faces.

Don't know will it get me anywhere but heres hoping! Won't chance ever ordering anything thats uk only delivery again. Even with a belfast or newry postcode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

why not just put your real address and postcode?:rolleyes:

We don't have postcodes in Ireland.

I usually use 11AA if n/a doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

boogyboogy wrote: »
    Would this be a useful method of getting around the whole non delivery of electronic goods to ireland because the likes of amazon won't pay the wee charge on the good???

If it was only the fee, there probably wouldn't be a problem. Under the WEEE regulations, the vendor must accept and process waste items from he customer eg if you bought a tv, they must accept an old tv back from you and dispose of it.

I've just tried the Belfast post code to see if that works with a small item. It just so happens I need a certain item that I couldn't find in Ireland or on any Irish website and the only place that I could find it was a UK website that would only ship to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 eugened

hi there, i ordered things from uk and it asked me for postcode i just put xxxxxxxxxx and they got to me ok.:)

After weeks of hoping and waiting. School-link contacted me today to say they were refunding my money
    (:)>money being refunded:(:(>no cheap books)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

try recessionbustours.ie

people send stuff to their depot in Northern Ireland and they courier them around Ireland for €20 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭tommyjin83

JJ wrote: »
    I've just tried the Belfast post code to see if that works with a small item. It just so happens I need a certain item that I couldn't find in Ireland or on any Irish website and the only place that I could find it was a UK website that would only ship to the UK.

Well did it work? I am wondering can we use that Bt1 11a thing to order gadgets or electronics from play.com? Em.. sounds good.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Well did it work? I am wondering can we use that Bt1 11a thing to order gadgets or electronics from play.com? Em.. sounds good.:rolleyes:

Don't see what all the problem with postcodes is! I buy from play.com and just put NA in for postcode. NA = Not applicable. Trying to use some code from NI or elsewhere is asking for trouble. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Don't see what all the problem with postcodes is! I buy from play.com and just put NA in for postcode. NA = Not applicable. Trying to use some code from NI or elsewhere is asking for trouble. :)

For crying out loud don't you realise that play don't ship electronics or computing stuff to Ireland? That's why we're trying to use a postcode to work around it. Do a bit of research before you post crap. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

VanZan wrote: »
    For crying out loud don't you realise that play don't ship electronics or computing stuff to Ireland? That's why we're trying to use a postcode to work around it. Do a bit of research before you post crap. :rolleyes:

No I didn't know that play.com don't ship electronic goods or computing stuff to Ireland as I only buy DVDs from them! I was offering my help based on other postings and didn't realise the nature of the problem. I could suggest that you get the goods posted to a friend in the UK who could then forward them to you, but with your offensive attitude you probably don't have many friends. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

but with your offensive attitude you probably don't have many friends. :rolleyes:
    None at all :(

tommyjin83 wrote: »

It worked like a charm. I'd be happy to try it again if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Has anybody tried it with ebay and had success?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement