Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

So basically if there is a product you like and there are two versions one Irish and one from else where, you should support the Irish version of said product because you are Irish even if it is not as good as the other version.

But what about people who have any pick of english teams they want, and then go for someone like Sheffield Wednesday to support for the rest of their days?

Masochists? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But what about people who have any pick of english teams they want, and then go for someone like Sheffield Wednesday to support for the rest of their days?

Masochists? :P

People can follow or pick who they like, why should anyone else try and belittle them if they go for a team in England over a team in Ireland?

Let people do what brings them joy and heart break, if that is following a team 200 miles away so be it. If they prefer that over a team on their door step that is their choice. Others will try and fit in both while more will just support their local team then scuff at those who do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

8-10 wrote: »
    Real fans watch RTÉ Player

People who have become used to a higher standard of quality watch the BBC iPlayer and would rather see more quality content there than on the RTÉ Player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

So I should continue supporting the forigen club that I have all my life, and also just start supporting some Irish team just because they're Irish to please a few loi fans?
    Supporting two teams is just as ludicrous as supporting a forigen one to me.

You already support a foreign team

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

D14Rugby wrote: »
    People who have become used to a higher standard of quality watch the BBC iPlayer and would rather see more quality content there than on the RTÉ Player.

Only if they live there. You can't get that app here and vice versa I think with the RTÉ one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Do you think celtic are an Irish team?

What are you raving about. How could I think a Scottish club is Irish I've called Celtic a forigen team multiple times.

You already support a foreign team

Yeah I do, and that seams ludicrous to ye. I think supporting multiple clubs just to please a few moany LOI fans is ludicrous.

Only if they live there. You can't get that app here and vice versa I think with the RTÉ one

You can, just harder/more expensive.
    Yeah I do, and that seams ludicrous to ye. I think supporting multiple clubs just to please a few moany LOI fans is ludicrous.

Well you didn't say you find one as ludicrous as other people find the other, you said you find both as ludicrous as each other so why not do both? What's the difference?

People can follow or pick who they like, why should anyone else try and belittle them if they go for a team in England over a team in Ireland?

Let people do what brings them joy and heart break, if that is following a team 200 miles away so be it. If they prefer that over a team on their door step that is their choice. Others will try and fit in both while more will just support their local team then scuff at those who do not.

Could also do what you do and pick a foreign team that plays in the LOI? :P

runs away very quickly

You can, just harder/more expensive.

Really? Legally?

I really don't think it's a good comparison at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

"Why do Irish people watch American movies?"

Not moaning.

You say you couldnt give a **** etc about the LOI getting better, so technicaly you couldnt give a **** about our national team as the LOI is the starting point for a good % of them, and it will be more and more reliant on it considering English clubs are taking young Irish lads less and less each year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Not moaning.

You say you couldnt give a **** etc about the LOI getting better, so technicaly you couldnt give a **** about our national team as the LOI is the starting point for a good % of them, and it will be more and more reliant on it considering English clubs are taking young Irish lads less and less each year

Yeah shut the LOI down, close down Irish football. Waste of time. The higher quality is in the UK.:mad::mad:

Really? Legally?

I really don't think it's a good comparison at all.

And neither is comparing TV to football but that never stopped you before.

And neither is comparing TV to football but that never stopped you before.

Huh? I made a joke about the RTÉ player I thought it was obvious but you seem to like jumping to conclusions on what I mean.

Huh? I made a joke about the RTÉ player I thought it was obvious but you seem to like jumping to conclusions on what I mean.

Did you not see the word "before" ? As in in the past you have compared them

Did you not see the word "before" ? As in in the past you have compared them

All my posts are in the past. I don't recall but I'm going to guess you are simplifying what I meant to suit your argument. I still maintain you misinterpreted the word "more" in a previous exchange and have seen no concession on that one other than you doubling down on your interpretation so excuse me for being sceptical.

TV and football are not the same thing. But I watch the majority of football on television. TV is a very important medium for the success of the sport.

Is supporting an Irish football team the same as supporting Irish TV shows? Not the same,but comparable sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

All my posts are in the past. I don't recall but I'm going to guess you are simplifying what I meant to suit your argument. I still maintain you misinterpreted the word "more" in a previous exchange and have seen no concession on that one other than you doubling down on your interpretation so excuse me for being sceptical.

TV and football are not the same thing. But I watch the majority of football on television. TV is a very important medium for the success of the sport.

Is supporting an Irish football team the same as supporting Irish TV shows? Not the same,but comparable sure

Not comparable.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Not comparable.

In the sense that I choose to support who I want, can change my mind at any point and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Same as I choose what shows to watch, can change my mind at to what I like and enjoy it.

Sport is entertaining. TV shows are entertaining.

And I watch both...on television

That's the extent of the comparison. They're not the same thing

Not moaning.

You've the wrong person here. Never said anything like that. I said I'd love to see teams from the league do well in Europe.

• Advertisement

Not moaning.

You've the wrong person here. Never said anything like that. I said I'd love to see teams from the league do well in Europe.

Yeh but you won't support it thus meaning you deep down couldn't care how the National team will fare out in a few years

Yeh but you won't support it thus meaning you deep down couldn't care how the National team will fare out in a few years

That's some jump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I support St Patricks athletic and Celtic cause of the queen :D:D:D:D:D

Put the good players on the bench :D

Not moaning.

That was me who said he didn't care as much about it getting better as I do about the league that my team is in.

Maybe I don't see us strong a link between the LOI and the national team as you do. Sure a % of them play there but lots only play LOI as a stepping stone to the English leagues. To be honest id prefer to be less reliant on England for developing our players. English youngsters themselves are leaving for the Dutch, German, Scottish and Belgian leagues amongst others for a better chance. I'd like to see our young players look further afield too for more opportunities.

If LOI is going to get better and be a better option for them then that's great too but for me the important thing is getting them into a good set up and get good minutes at a decent level so whether that's here or abroad I don't think it matters. Look at other countries and you'll see they're increasingly getting young players into clubs in the countries of the top 5 European leagues because that's where the best coaching is and that's where the international teams pick their players from.

We're off on a tangent though. This thread is about the English league and why many of us Irish support it. And Irish players in the league is one of the many reasons people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    "Why do Irish people watch American movies?"

Perfectly fine angle if you think of watching movies and watching football on telly as one and the same. Plenty do. To me and millions worldwide, football isn't just something on telly though.

That was me who said he didn't care as much about it getting better as I do about the league that my team is in.

Maybe I don't see us strong a link between the LOI and the national team as you do. Sure a % of them play there but lots only play LOI as a stepping stone to the English leagues. To be honest id prefer to be less reliant on England for developing our players. English youngsters themselves are leaving for the Dutch, German, Scottish and Belgian leagues amongst others for a better chance. I'd like to see our young players look further afield too for more opportunities.

If LOI is going to get better and be a better option for them then that's great too but for me the important thing is getting them into a good set up and get good minutes at a decent level so whether that's here or abroad I don't think it matters. Look at other countries and you'll see they're increasingly getting young players into clubs in the countries of the top 5 European leagues because that's where the best coaching is and that's where the international teams pick their players from.

We're off on a tangent though. This thread is about the English league and why many of us Irish support it. And Irish players in the league is one of the many reasons people have.

You don't see a strong link between the national team and the LOI? Without the LOI our national team captain would be playing GAA for a club in Donegal just now, Enda Stevens wouldn't be playing. That's both our starting full backs. The apparent Lord and saviour Matt Doherty wouldn't be there, the list goes on and that's just current players go back through the years and some of our best ever players got to where they got to because of the LOI giving them a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Omackeral wrote: »
    Perfectly fine angle if you think of watching movies and watching football on telly as one and the same. Plenty do. To me and millions worldwide, football isn't just something on telly though.

I think a lot of people, me included, do not have the time to go to actual games.

So sitting at home, I can turn on the TV and watch some nice goals etc.

If the LOI had a highlights TV show which was well produced and had good presenters (imagine Bill O'Herlihy with Giles & Dunphy), I would watch it.

Has RTE ever tried that?

You don't see a strong link between the national team and the LOI? Without the LOI our national team captain would be playing GAA for a club in Donegal just now, Enda Stevens wouldn't be playing. That's both our starting full backs. The apparent Lord and saviour Matt Doherty wouldn't be there, the list goes on and that's just current players go back through the years and some of our best ever players got to where they got to because of the LOI giving them a platform.

Between the national team and the level of the LOI, my god do you even read the context of my posts. I'm saying it's a stepping stone. If the best players are to go on and be internationals I think they will anyway, either in a top class LOI league or by moving to a better class league anyway.

Both Stevens and Coleman were in the English system for years before getting a full cap, same with Matt Doherty.

Yeah it's great there is a league here but the internationals are rarely plucked straight out of it.

If LOI was on par with a top league what I'm saying is you'd still have the likes of Coleman and Stevens picked for Ireland, as it stands I think the best players the LOI have to offer will still go on and make it at international level

Between the national team and the level of the LOI, my god do you even read the context of my posts. I'm saying it's a stepping stone. If the best players are to go on and be internationals I think they will anyway, either in a top class LOI league or by moving to a better class league anyway.

Both Stevens and Coleman were in the English system for years before getting a full cap, same with Matt Doherty.

Yeah it's great there is a league here but the internationals are rarely plucked straight out of it.

If LOI was on par with a top league what I'm saying is you'd still have the likes of Coleman and Stevens picked for Ireland, as it stands I think the best players the LOI have to offer will still go on and make it at international level

But they think us going to the matches will make the players better when it's always gonna be this standard with Britain next door buying any player that looks half decent.

• Advertisement

But they think us going to the matches will make the players better when it's always gonna be this standard with Britain next door buying any player that looks half decent.

Would they be happy if we all went to games, league got as popular as the Premier League everyone builds 50,000 seater stadia and locals can't go anymore because of the amount of foreign fans flying in for every game and pushing up prices?

I don't get what the endgame is. Surely if it gets significantly better it will just attract the same type of supporters people who go to games now seem to dislike....why isn't it already considered ideal if the only people who go are these true pure soccer fans who aren't there for the selfies but for the love of the sport as a whole?

Advertisement