Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you working on currently?

• 04-09-2016 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Not sure if there's a thread for this already, but direct me to it if there is!

Thought it'd be good to share what we're working on currently and our progress, etc.

After all sorts of problems I've completed the build of a BBQ side table for my friend. Gonna finish it during the week and then get rid of it! The frame ended up a bit twisted which has meant I had to hack the sh*te out of the legs to get them even. Just hoping my friend's patio is flat, or we'll have to stick a few beer mats under it! :o Got quite acquainted with my new circular saw today, wasn't as intuitive as I assumed to get a clean straight cut with it, but I'm quite comfortable with it now!

https://twitter.com/davemcginn_ie/status/772535698939383813

Next project is a quite narrow hall table for my sister's house. Been looking forward to starting on this one! Was browsing Pinterest the last few days for ideas. Bought the timber today, have a good idea how I'll do it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eh... tidying the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I'm making some Christmas gifts. Yeah, I know it's early, but there's a lot to do. I'm making a chisel and mallet gift set in a hardwood carry case for the two sons-in-law. I'm replacing the plastic handles on the chisels with wooden ones (not sure of the wood I'll be using yet) and making the mallets using beech for the heads and white oak for the handles. I have re-sawn a nice piece of elm for the box sides and have managed to get three boards out of it. some figured maple for the tops (still to be re-sawn) should give a nice contrast to the elm.

I'm not sure what to do for the daughters yet, but between the four projects I'll be kept out of mischief for a couple of months at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Making this coffee table from white oak. Source material is rough sawn 1x6 boards, and it is pretty rough in places! Handtools only for me at the moment, so it's slow going dimensioning everything, but it's coming out ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

eh... tidying the shed.

Same here, getting ready to re roof my workshop too. Been a few years away from my woodturning and workshop (through illness) hoping to get back doing a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just finished lining the shed with OSB, painting it and fitting LED T8 lights. Have to finish wiring it up still for sockets and the consumer unit and the power line
    back to the house (not on a seperate circuit, the biggest draw it's ever going to see is a router). Need to paint the outside as well.

2016-08-13-19.53.59a.jpg

2016-09-05-20.24.58a.jpg

Almost done with building my workbench (which has dragged on thanks to weather and other things eating up spare time). All joints cut, just making drawbore
    pegs at the moment. Hoping to get it into the shed before the weather closes in for winter.

2016-08-21-15.38.20a.jpg

2016-08-31-20.13.00a.jpg

NewBench_a.png

And just finished knocking together a small sharpening station with diamond plates.

2016-08-28-19.08.33a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The total refit and adapted 34 foot cruiser http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057583016 putting in mahogany double doors to open up the back.

20160713_170646_zpsgbkkrgid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

built a book/tv case and some built in units. the bit in the corner will eventually be a seat with more book shelves over it, similar to the one over the telly

at the moment it houses a lot of toys !

2hqqj36.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭andy125

Just finished as cheval mirror with jewelry storage, must have been at it over a month but got there in the end,

She's happy, i'm happy :)
    2rohk5l.jpg
    25576dw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

andy125 wrote: »
    Just finished as cheval mirror with jewelry storage, must have been at it over a month but got there in the end,

She's happy, i'm happy :)
    2rohk5l.jpg
    25576dw.jpg

Happy wife ... happy life.
    Looks tasty nice work

2016-09-11-14.04.18a.jpg

2016-09-11-11.44.29a.jpg

Glued up and drawbored all the undercarriage for the workbench, then the next day trimmed everything flush, fitted the face vice (a record 53A which is a monster of a thing that damn near doesn't fit in the bench because the bench is almost not wide enough), fitted the planing stop, fitted the aprons and glued them up. Curing away under a tarp as we speak, and should only need one more dry day to finish. Have to flatten the top and cut the mortice for the end vice, which will be easier outside; and then I can move it to its final resting place in the shed and do all the little bits like fitting the front face of the face vice, making a jaw for that, fitting the inset vice and drowning the whole thing in BLO and turps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

That looks very good and very solid. Was it necessary to glue it or could the drawbores have been sufficient? I've a workbench in the pipeline but I want it to be able to be disassembled if ever I need to move it. I'm not sure if it's practical for a workbench though.

I've not heard of anyone using drawbores without glue before - I don't think it'd work in construction grade timber, too much tension on the tenon and you'd be in danger of either snapping the peg, or - and more likely in this godawful cruddy whitewood - breaking the tenon with the peg. So the tenons are all glued up (as well as the benchtop and aprons which are laminated from 2x4s). Used titebond II throughout, it's not coming apart anytime soon.

Honestly, I was considering making a knock-down version of it when I started, but while something like the morovian design is very very suited to a knock-down build, the english and ruobo designs aren't as easy. Paul Seller's design of the english bench (just youtube, it's probably the most popular workbench video on there) is a knock-down one, but I wanted the flush front face of the bench that you get with the roubo so I made a mongrel out of his design, Richard McGuire's and the Stumpy Nubs Roubo design. Half of me is surprised it hasn't fallen apart yet.

I will say this - if I was starting over, I would not do it like this. I'd go to Quinns, buy some 3-inch thick red deal planks and those for the top and the legs, and be done in a weekend (and for about the same price really), and if I was putting on aprons and trying for the flush front face, I'd just add another board to the front legs below the apron instead of cutting that weird joint on the front legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Just finished a very cheesy red 'love shelf' with back-lit LEDs, it is similar to this:

64f80ce9bd1db212f1b1aaf0fdc6fb24.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

IMG_20160827_155308_zpsqaqgks8f.jpg
    My attempt at reusing some pallets to spruce up that grey wall you can see which is at the back of my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Very nice^^^ We bit the bullet this summer and painted our grey cinder block wall, took forever but made a huge difference

2016-09-18-13.52.24a.jpg

...and finished. Build log.

Found that if I tried to plane on the bench in its current location (up against the side wall of the shed), I'd run the #7 straight into the back wall of the shed. Way too close. $DAYJOB gives time off in lieu if you get called out-of-hours when on call and I got called at 0300 one day last week for three hours work, and then after work that day, got called again at 2300 for more work, and there was some time on the weekend too, so I get today off.
    So, out to shed, pull everything out including spare tyres (don't ask) and a tumble drier (don't ask), moved the bench against the back wall so it had two feet between either end and the side walls. Knocked up a quick shelf for under the bench, and finished the last two panels of soundproofing (echo absorbers? still don't have a word for it) and moved everything back into the shed.

2016-09-21-12.21.30a.jpg

I really need to build that 8x4x2' shed for the lawnmower and patio furniture and garden tools and stuff, just to get more room in the shed for proper stuff.

Then I got the 8' boards that weren't fitting in the shed properly and just roughly broke them down (these are the ash, walnut and poplar boards for the sidecar cot project I'm trying to get done for xmas).

2016-09-21-12.58.18a.jpg

2016-09-21-13.00.19a.jpg

2016-09-21-14.06.23a.jpg

15 minutes work, stretched to an hour by sitting staring at the plans in my notebook trying to figure out how long I needed the rough-cut planks to be to not pineapple my design irreparably. I need to learn to work faster :D
    But at least it's all tucked away in the shed relatively tidily now, and I can now work in there even when it's raining (instead of having to stack 8' boards outside in the rain which I didn't want to do really).
    Need to fit the new stronger hinges and hasp on the door now (the ones there now wouldn't give me a lot of confidence about keeping opportunistic burglars out) and then I can start moving tools from boxes in the kitchen into the shed and getting on with things.

Reground the #4½ from 25 degrees to 40 degrees. That was a hell of a lot easier with the bench to clamp the bench grinder and sharpening stations into.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Most recent woodwork topic for me, were these Yew hollow forms.
    About 10 inches high by 5 inches diameter.

Picture%20001.jpg

Picture%20012u.jpg

Picture%20013.jpg

Damn, but that's pretty.
    I'm busily trying to resaw an 8x1 ash board with a ryoba at the moment. If I can get two 3/8s boards out of it, I'll be happy. The ryoba (even the giant one I got) does not feel like its the best tool for this job. I need to get out my S&J and Diston saws today and resharpen them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's hollowing that deep which i can never seem to do. too much chatter/vibration with the gouge extended that far over the rest. maybe i just need heavier gouges.

it's hollowing that deep which i can never seem to do. too much chatter/vibration with the gouge extended that far over the rest. maybe i just need heavier gouges.

I made up special deep hollowing jigs and tools to do this.
    Strong gouges wont do. You will have to make special heavy long length
    hollowing tools.

My deep hollowing tool is 5 feet long, and probably weighs 25+ lbs.
    Along with steady jigs to run on the hollow form.

If you are ever in the area, you are welcome to call in.
    Kettle is always on

These items were never collected at all, and have recently taken up residence in
    the sitting room

kadman wrote: »
    If you are ever in the area, you are welcome to call in.
    Kettle is always on
    much appreciated, but i'd like to hone my talents a bit more before embarrassing myself in front of someone else!

much appreciated, but i'd like to hone my talents a bit more before embarrassing myself in front of someone else!

Call in for a chat, and a look at what I made for the tools.
    Not work related at all. Might be something that helps you out.
    Deep hollow forms are a new thing for me too, I,m just venturing
    out on it.

If i can help at all, let me know. I,m in the midlands .

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

N4RJiR.jpg

Friend gave me a block of wood so turned this yesterday. Not sure of the species? Anyone familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I finally got around to staining my outdoor table today. Also stuck a couple of horizontal pieces between the legs to stabilise it. Turned out pretty nice, happy with it given all the problems I had to overcome with it!

CtMkrf8WIAASRlQ.jpg

Also put a stain on a narrow hall table that I had built for my sister. Happy enough with that too.

Got rid of both pieces today, so there's a bit more room to move in the shed now! Onto the next project... not sure what that will be yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Think I'm gonna do a nest of tables for my next project... Something like this would be quite cool!

6f4fb6c2c0578b517dc7d187148136ad.jpg

delaney001 wrote: »
    N4RJiR.jpg

Friend gave me a block of wood so turned this yesterday. Not sure of the species? Anyone familiar.

Larger image wont load for me, but it looks like ash from the thumbnail.

• Advertisement

Well... that turned out to look a wee bit odd...

2016-09-27-20.47.06a.jpg

Advertisement