Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'm not moaning yet but I've not had much success. I’ve the same captcha problems as above – plus a bit more
    I have several GRO references from CLDS for the ‘name' or 'names combination’ so the certs giving parents’ names are needed to be certain I’ve the correct people. On the first one (an 1855 marriage) the groom’s record has come up with Vol and page number alnong with “There is currently no image to display. This may be because the record was registered or amended in a later year, or there are quality issues with the original image.” Trying under the wife’s name it gives the same register details but does not give any option to open an image. (an aside - It also is strange that each has a separate entry and there is no ‘combined’ one. I suspect the groom was RIC – would this have a bearing? C of I marriage perhaps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

I don't think there are any marriage images for before 1882 online yet. Hopefully the one's that are not there today will become available tomorrow, but I'm still not certain about pre-1882 marriages

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

spuncy wrote: »
    ...just had to kinda go back in again...

That was it. Sorted now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I'm sooooo happy. I need to take a break, but I'm scared that it's all going to disappear in a puff of smoke once that nice busy body hears about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm google-eyed now.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Me too.
    Might have to enforce no computers this evening.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not getting as much in the way of certs as others, for a few reasons:

*I spent far too much at the GRO
    *I spent far too much at the IFHF (they have some transcripts for some counties I have relations in)
    *It appears my fathers side of the family either didn't believe in actually getting married or someone never registered the weddings. From the 1880s to the 1920s so likely too long for one priest.

Over the years, I prioritised direct ancestors, so I've gotten a huge amount of collateral family information today. Had always maintained a list of certs to get if funds were unlimited.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/e55d193572447

A Newry registered birth - no image. Teething problems, will be up in time? I hope so.

http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/67b4c915701256

A Cootehill registered death - no image. Just my luck! There are images missing for sure, so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Am turning goggle eyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

1st World Problem alert

As good as it is having the certs, sometimes the penmanship of the registrars has you slightly wishing for the printed indices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

P_1 wrote: »
    As good as it is having the certs, sometimes the penmanship of the registrars has you slightly wishing for the printed indices.

I get this in transcription too and then all of a sudden you come across someone whose writing is a delight to see.
    You'd think a clear hand might have been a requirement of the job, especially back then when everything was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

These are not the original records, they are the copies sent to Dublin.

Which is why in the signature box you will see "his / her mark", because the informant couldn't write, but in the other boxes, where you would expect a signature, all the writing is the same, as it was copied down by the register.

So, in the millions or records sent to Dublin, could there have been a few mistakes? A page missing here or there?

See the bottom of image:

rBCLngn.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I managed to get a few before lunch but haven't been back again to it yet. As another poster said, I've spent so many €4's over the years I could cry now. I hope to be able to get some more but the one record I've been chasing for the last seven years is still not appearing for me. Some of my father's mother's family don't have images yet, so all in all I'm a tad happy with what I have so far but still keeping my fingers crossed for more, and so jealous of all of you newbies who haven't forked out much money as yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pippi Longstocking

This is great, I've already managed to find some birth certs I'd been missing. I'm going to have to put a time limit on myself or I'll be up all night!

http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/76ea8f14222091

Another no image! That's 3 now. It's well for you all, I'm beginning to feel like I'm cursed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

mod9maple wrote: »
    http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/76ea8f14222091

Another no image! That's 3 now. It's well for you all, I'm beginning to feel like I'm cursed. :mad:

I'm pretty sure it's been established that there aren't any images for marriages before 1880 or so, at least not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

from what I can see the marriage images start beginning 1882, deaths start 1891 - there are exceptions. There are a few index errors, some possibly in the original books - worth skipping back or forward through a few images to check for these.

I've found several errors too, i.e. one transcribed record does not actually appear on the image referenced, another transcription has N/R for a child's sex and mother's name although they are clearly stated.

Who broke it?

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Who broke it?

It was 'half broke' before it started.

I don’t want to start a moan, but the site access is really ‘clunky’.
    Assuming there is a need for the captcha (presumably to prevent data-mining?) is the second step prior to access really necessary? The second one (agreeing to Section 61 of the Civil Registration Act, 2004) is meaningless when any letter/name will suffice – e.g. entering ‘a’ and ‘b’ in the name boxes works. So why not combine it with the first stage with a clause stating “by signing in to this site you are agreeing to Section 61 etc.?
    Also, hit backspace on the browser and you can end up in an endless loop of captcha requests with no images.
    Why do those in charge of projects like this never think of putting together a consultation/user group to bounce ideas off?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

I hope they will have all the images up today.

It has to be said while it's pretty impressive to have access to these records - what other country has as great as access to records like Ireland for free? - some improvements can be made in the future:

1. Make copies of the original records in the county offices.

The records made available are handwritten copies made by the country register and sent to the GRO in Dublin.
    Although I found a few new records, there were no big surprises, as like a lot of people on here, I had purchased a lot of the 4euro certs using the FamilySearch.org index, which is of course the same as the records released.
    Millions of records were copied and sent to Dublin, I'm sure there was some human error over the years and some records were omitted.

2. Make copies of the original books
    Might be wrong on this but I think some of the records come from microfilm - quality is not always great.

3. Make more records available, instead of the 100/75/50 for BMD, perhaps make it 75/50/25.
    Or even dispense with this altogether, it is public information after all.
    Birth and marriage records I can understand but death records don't need to be limited for more that a few years.
    Perhaps cause of death can be removed if that's what's required.

4.Make a direct link to the PDF file from the search page.

5 One captcha is enough - I always seem to have to do two.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The CRA requires a "person" to make an application hence the need to record a 'name' I believe.

When searching for a marriage I discovered the groom didn't have an image but the bride did. Happy days.:)

Yes, it's pretty standard that the index says N/R for mother's maiden name and it's there in the image. I suspect they'll never change that. I cannot think of a scenario where a mother's name wouldn't be recorded on a birth cert...father, yes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Is it not N/R before a certain date that has been ever so slowly creeping backwards? Like the paired marriages.

.........what other country has as great as access to records like Ireland for free?

I've only researched in France on mainland Europe and in general (some Departements are not yet available) they are miles ahead of us, and progressing with more info all the time. The person I was researching was a soldier in Napoleon's army, I found BMD's online, free, also details on his pension application, wife, children, service locations, etc, all free. The Ministry of the Marine also has some of his service records (off-line).

It's actually staggering when one thinks that all those records came through the horrors of both sides during the Napoleonic Wars, various risings/revolutions, (e.g. les Trois Glorieuses, 1830 & 1848) the Franco-Prussion war, WW1 and WW2. We just had a bitty affair in 1922 and look what was done. :mad:

L1011 wrote: »
    The CRA requires a "person" to make an application hence the need to record a 'name' I believe.

The access system as we have it is meaningless when a + b suffices as a 'name'. They already have a record of an IP address. If a name were a legal requirement they would ask for an email addy (and even that would be daft as most of those are fictional). It's a CYA Sir Humphry-ism

Guys, less of the moaning. We've been given a huge pile of stuff for free, it's not perfect, but it's only being launched today. I'll personally ask Tadhg later when they'll resolve these issues.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Guys, less of the moaning. We've been given a huge pile of stuff for free, it's not perfect, but it's only being launched today. I'll personally ask Tadhg later when they'll resolve these issues.

From Claire:

"I've heard back from the Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs who manage the site. The website now holds 12.5million Index records linked to 2.5million images from the historic registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Images are available as follows:

Births: 1864 to 1915
    Marriages: 1882 to 1940
    Deaths: 1891 to 1965

The Images of the pre-1882 registers of Marriage and pre-1891 registers of Deaths are being updated by the General Register Office and will be added to the website in due course.

I have also been advised that the website may fluctuate a bit today while some last-minute checks are run before this evening's official launch."

Advertisement