Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Hey Buddy'

• 09-08-2019 11:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

So there's this guy that I met up with a few times since I've been in college with him years ago. One of the things I've noticed about him is that he calls me buddy a bit too often. He puts it in writing too! Does anyone find this annoying?

The thing about it, is that he usual calls me this when saying hello or goodbye, or maybe on the phone. These are all circumstances when it's hard to call someone out about it. For example if we haven't seen each other in two months and he says "hey buddy" when greeting me, in amongst a bunch of other words, well wouldn't it be unusual to just say "don't call me buddy" at that point in time!? Also, if there's a quick phone call to verify a where we're meeting or something, he'll sneak in his 'buddy' remark. Again, I wouldn't want to call him out on this over the phone. Likewise, when saying goodbye - can you imagine turning you're back as you say goodbye and then as you're turning to leave and turning back around to say "don't call me buddy"? It would really end things on a bad note. If he said it to me mid conversation, I'd say it to him.

It's kind of weird, because with the way he says it, it's almost as if we were best friends back in the day or something but we really weren't. I feel like saying to him "hang on, we don't know each other that well". In short, I find it patronising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

So there's this guy that I met up with a few times since I've been in college with him years ago.

One of the things I've noticed about him is that he calls me buddy a bit too often. He puts it in writing too! The thing about it, is that he usual calls me this when saying hello or goodbye, or maybe on the phone. These are all circumstances when it's hard to call someone out about it. For example if we haven't seen each other in two months and he says "hey buddy" when greeting me, in amongst a bunch of other words, well wouldn't it be unusual to just say "don't call me buddy" at that point in time!? Also, if there's a quick phone call to verify a where we're meeting or something, he'll sneak in his 'buddy' remark. Again, I wouldn't want to call him out on this over the phone. Likewise, when saying goodbye - can you imagine turning you're back as you say goodbye and then as you're turning to leave and turning back around to say "don't call me buddy"? It would really end things on a bad note. If he said it to me mid conversation, I'd say it to him.

It's kind of weird, because with the way he says it, it's almost as if we were best friends back in the day or something but we really weren't. I feel like saying to him "hang on, we don't know each other that well". In short, I find it patronising.

Is he the bloke who eats toilet roll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Keith calls everyone that, you’re really not that special to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

I'm not your buddy mate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He's nuthin but a snake Hun

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm not your buddy mate

I’m not your mate pal

• Advertisement

You're not wrong in this instance. "Pal" & "dude" are other common epithets utilised by the passive aggressive individual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

You're not wrong in this instance. "Pal" & "dude" are other common epithets utilised by the passive aggressive individual.
    I knew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Online maybe,but in the real world it pretty harmless,bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Half squat down in a crouching position and with an explosive upward movement, uppercut him in the balls.
    Then say something really cool whilst lighting up a cigarette.
    Or do what you like, I don't care, stop talking to me, I don't even know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chummy chums are such a drag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Your Face wrote: »
    Half squat down in a crouching position and with an explosive upward movement, uppercut him in the balls.
    Then say something really cool whilst lighting up a cigarette.
    Or do what you like, I don't care, stop talking to me, I don't even know you.

Great advice there pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’m not your mate pal
    I'm not your pal, chum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I’m not your mate pal

He's not your pal, fweind

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Don't call me baby when she is waiting in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

stop%20search%20sieze%202.jpg

"Don't call me buddy, buddy."

Don't call me baby when she is waiting in the car

We"re old enough to remember Strawberry Switchblade, no one's going to call us baby anymore, except maybe BP Fallon or Grandmaster Flash

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Sardonicat wrote: »
    We"re old enough to remember Strawberry Switchblade, no one's going to call us baby anymore, except maybe BP Fallon or Grandmaster Flash

Speak for yourself! :pac:

It was Voice of the Beehive.

Speak for yourself! :pac:

It was Voice of the Beehive.

Ah, so it was ! See, the old memory's going....
    First, they stop calling you 'baby, next, you get the all female pop acts of the early 90s mixed up. Before you know it you start referring to young fellas as 'sonny'....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Are you female/homosexual and your "buddy" male? Yeah it's weird and he might be letting you know that the relationship is always going to be platonic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Did you go to college with that fella on the TV show about Dublin Airport, think it was called 'Customs'?

Memorable only because he was an absolute dick to the passengers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I kind of feel like youre reading into this way too much, he likely calls everybody buddy and doesnt actually think youre best buds, he's probably just being friendly. Does he give you any other reason to think that he thinks you are currently or where previously best mates? Like does he message you all the time or keep asking you to meet up? If he's not behaving oddly then I really think its more your problem than his.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I kind of feel like youre reading into this way too much

You should see the other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

You should see the other threads.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

There is a very easy solution to this. People who say "buddy" think they are the only person in the world who says "buddy". They also fancy themselves as being "cool". Next time you see him, get in there quick and say "HEY BUDDY!". No person in the world would respond to "Hey buddy" with "Hey buddy".

The one caveat to this technique is that you then become "that guy".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Burn his house down. That will take the spring out of his step and next time you see him he'll be too sad and will probably just let out a miserable half ar$ed 'Hi'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Burn his house down. That will take the spring out of his step and next time you see him he'll be too sad and will probably just let out a miserable half ar$ed 'Hi'

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm not your pal, chum.

I'm not your chum, horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

This.

2 people cant be wrong

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'm not your chum, horse.

I'm not your horse, pilgrim.