Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to change Time

• 14-02-2020 12:41pm

Why aren't we using a Metric clock?
    We have 1/100ths of a second, and milliseconds, but we dont have 1/100ths of a minute or an hour.

According to the Official System of Units, the base unit of time is 1 second.
    We also know that it takes 86,400 seconds for the earth to do a rotation of the earth (1 day). Therefore, in order to create a metric clock, I propose the following

1 day = 8.64 hours (or 864 minutes)
    1 hour = 100 minutes
    1 minute = 100 seconds

Hmm, that's not ideal.

How about we amend the base unit of time.
    1 day = 10 hours
    1 hour = 100 minutes
    1 minute = 100 seconds

In order to do this, each day would need 100,000 seconds

Where are those extra 13,600 seconds going to come from you ask?
    Well we just need to change what a second is.
    Each second needs to become shorter. In fact, it will lose exactly 13.4%

Imagine the benefits. A day of work will only take 4 hours.
    No need for AM and PM

Anyone know who I can speak to, in order to get this implemented. I want to start a clock factory with the new times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Time to change time? i'll just leave this here...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

bazwraf wrote: »
    Anyone know who I can speak to, in order to get this implemented. I want to start a clock factory with the new times

Maybe someone from the medical profession for an initial referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Issues with Decimal time apparently came from the feeling that the hour was just too long or the minute too short.

Our existing measurements weren't picked arbitrarily, they were developed over centuries. What became the norm was a balance between the right "feel" and mathematial elegance.

The base-6 system for time is pretty elegant tbh, and not exactly a million miles away from metric. It's not like we have 23 seconds in a minute and 157 minutes in an hour, of which there are 11 in a day except on Wednesdays. Or something like that which the British would have come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We dont have time for this.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Was expecting it to be about time travel.

El Weirdo wrote: »

Fantastic, the movement has already begun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I think it's the language with which we talk about time that shackles us. It's so difficult to describe anything outside of our conceptual framework, which itself is ingrained in temporal language. "Time is occurring all around us at all times." is a sentence which I just came up with to try and convey the fact that the universe isn't necessarily going about itself from past to present to future as it appears in our minds. We just perceive it that way because of the way the dimensions present themselves to us (ie three dimensional space, fourth dimensional time).

And we think death is "at the end" of life, as this tragic "final" thing. As if life hasn't all occurred as well, for much longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

In Ireland the responsibility of having everyone observe the correct time lies with the Department of Justice

Bit weird but true nonetheless

Start with them op, let us know how you get on

In Ireland the responsibility of having everyone observe the correct time lies with the Department of Justice

Bit weird but true nonetheless

Start with them op, let us know how you get on

Appreciate that, thanks.
    I'll get working on my proposal this weekend. I'll set my alarm for 3:90.
    Work on it for about 1.5hours (150minutes in new money)
    And then work on designing some new watches.

It's all very exciting. I'm going to have the time of my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I think it's the language with which we talk about time that shackles us. It's so difficult to describe anything outside of our conceptual framework, which itself is ingrained in temporal language. "Time is occurring all around us at all times." is a sentence which I just came up with to try and convey the fact that the universe isn't necessarily going about itself from past to present to future as it appears in our minds. We just perceive it that way because of the way the dimensions present themselves to us (ie three dimensional space, fourth dimensional time).

And we think death is "at the end" of life, as this tragic "final" thing. As if life hasn't all occurred as well, for much longer.

Arrival was a good film alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bazwraf wrote: »
    Why aren't we using a Metric clock?
    It was tried. Didn't go down well.

Decimal time was officially introduced on 22 September 1794

100 seconds in a minute
    100 minutes in a hour
    10 hours in a day

Until 7 April 1795 when people got tired of having recordings of The Voice end too early.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote: »
    The base-6 system for time is pretty elegant tbh, and not exactly a million miles away from metric. It's not like we have 23 seconds in a minute and 157 minutes in an hour, of which there are 11 in a day except on Wednesdays. Or something like that which the British would have come up with.
    Base 60 is very easy to divide 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30 or 60 ways in an era when people didn't have calculators on their smartphones.

Advertisement