Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things that trigger the right?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Being called out for using groups they care nothing for as sticks to beat people they despise.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm generally highly suspicious of what "sensible people" agree with, as what is considered "sensible" can be as variable as the wind.

I also don't see how property taxes are the best kind of tax. They're more out of the control of the individual. If someone wants to pay less income tax they can choose to earn less income. If someone wants to pay less VAT they can choose to buy fewer things that attract VAT. If someone wants to pay less road tax they can choose to buy a car that attracts less road tax. And so forth. Housing and I'm speaking of primary homes, not extra properties(I'd tax them alright), is different in a few ways. It's far more permanent, often for a lifetime. Property tax based on value has issues. Someone buys a house in an area that was cheap that then becomes gentrified twenty years on and values soar. Or property becomes an investment bubble. That is out of the control of the homeowner. Oh sure they could "downsize" but it's not like swapping out a 3 litre Merc for a Prius. Never mind that large chunk of tax they've already paid on their decades long mortgage.

I'd agree with this, it always baffled me why there was such an uproar over water charges (which is a service, which costs money to provide) but property tax was introduced with little resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Violet-Anne Wynne. Behold the Enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

People being open-minded, open door policy, anything open really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

Human rights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Geuze wrote: »
    Most sensible people agree with property taxes, as they are the best type of tax.

You save up for years to be able to afford property, you have a big fûck off mortgage, it’s costs big cash to furnish, run and maintain, then you have the government wanting to tax you on top of all this because you just happen to own something ? Why ? Because after a long time of working hard, saving, going without to enable you to own your own place, a roof over your head the security and comfort of it the government decide... “hey, you know what, we want more so we will hit you in the pocket for simply daring to sacrifice, save and struggle to have something to call your own, a roof over your head and security for yourself and your loved ones, yep, we will tax it..:rolleyes::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Originality in humour.

Look at rightwing jokes - 99% of the time they appear be limited to repeating 'did you assume my gender???' / 'I identify as an attack helicopter!' to each other amid howls of laughter.

Absolutely baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Strumms wrote: »
    You save up for years to be able to afford property, you have a big fûck off mortgage, it’s costs big cash to furnish, run and maintain, then you have the government wanting to tax you on top of all this because you just happen to own something ? Why ? Because after a long time of working hard, saving, going without to enable you to own your own place, a roof over your head the security and comfort of it the government decide... “hey, you know what, we want more so we will hit you in the pocket for simply daring to sacrifice, save and struggle to have something to call your own, a roof over your head and security for yourself and your loved ones, yep, we will tax it..:rolleyes::confused:

Another problem with property tax, especially if it's for your main residence, is that it is totally independent of income. You might own/be living in a property that has appreciated greatly while you've been there but your income, earned in a completely different context, may not have done. So it is
    in effect, taxing some people out of their homes. Which is very unfair.

Perhaps the reason there was less uproar about it than water charges is because fewer people own their own homes than rent. And given that one golden rule that unites bot the left and right is that "Taxes are for OTHER people", those who don't own property are perfectly fine with those that do
    paying a wodge of tax on it.

Short sighted of course because property taxes on rental properties will only get passed on to the renters in the long run. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

George Soros.

(Is he even a real person? Or just a political "Big Foot"?)
    Oh my god exactly what I was gonna say. I suspect many don't have a clue who he is. The plot being lost over him always reminds me of: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Goldstein

Veganism. The way they act as if they have to adopt the diet and are oppressed by the brutal vegans.

Saw a video recently of a guy eating KFC right next to a vegan demonstration. The guy was being exalted on social media as if he was a hero. Wtf? He was eating food in a public area. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

rustynutz wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, it always baffled me why there was such an uproar over water charges (which is a service, which costs money to provide) but property tax was introduced with little resistance

The water charges debacle was more to do with Irish Water and privatisation of the service. People don't want a private, for profit, quango with their fingers on their taps.

As for the LPT, there was resistance. But once revenue got involved, there really wasn't that much that people could do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Mary Lou calling FF and FG an old boys club as a reason for not wanting to go into power with SF will get them going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

elli21 wrote: »
    Human rights

And the daddy of them all.

The ECHR. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

elli21 wrote: »
    Human rights

Using commercial and political blackmail to force companies, politicians and the public not to criticise or even question some minority groups own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Mary Lou calling FF and FG an old boys club as a reason for not wanting to go into power with SF will get them going.

Mary Lou is ten years older than Varadkar. So who is she calling "old"?

Mary Lou is ten years older than Varadkar. So who is she calling "old"?

She was referring to the parties.

I would've thought that was obvious.

When they're being forced to become immigrant black disabled transgendered lesbian muslim single mothers on benefits.

And also when it's pointed out to them that it's not compulsory.

"White genocide".

The mere suggestion of climate change.

Women over 35 who don't have children.

(In the case of the Israel fans on the right): criticism of the Israeli government and military. Saying that's anti semitism is like saying criticism of today's feminism is misogyny.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Pride events.
    What about straight pride?!

Black Music Awards - what about white music awards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

biko wrote: »
    Things that trigger the right?
    Antifa beating the living daylights out of people.
    Fascists aren't people.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Women over 35 who don't have children.

I don't think you've quite got the hang of "right wing" there....

If anything I'd say the leftie unemployed "give me everything for free" types are more likely to be breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

This whole left/right thing is getting stale.

I understand it in politics but when everyday people brand themselves either one, I just think they're boxing themselves no?

Are we not more complex than left or right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

The very notion that there might be a difference between their opinions and actual facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Americanism on all its forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

GooglePlus wrote: »
    This whole left/right thing is getting stale.

It's a bit like the Celtic/Rangers thing - it becomes a kind of tribal your-side-v-my-side thing. I daresay if you sat down a person who self-identifies as 'right wing' and put a questionnaire to them they be surprised to find out they're not really right wing at all.

Propagandists are very good at inducing fear/anger in our 'lizard brain'. The Muslims/Jews are plotting against you, the immigrants are taking your women/jobs, the women are cheating on you, the elves are stealing your socks and so on.

I don't think you've quite got the hang of "right wing" there....
    Because of one thing I wrote on this? What about the rest?
    If anything I'd say the leftie unemployed "give me everything for free" types are more likely to be breeders.
    Vast gulf between childless over 35 and being a "give me everything for free" type (not sure they're always lefties either).

"Right-wing" is a broad term. I'm assuming the OP means the "alt right" types as their voices are pretty prominent on the internet.

And it has become popular among them to slate women who don't have children/don't have them by a certain age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm generally highly suspicious of what "sensible people" agree with, as what is considered "sensible" can be as variable as the wind.

I also don't see how property taxes are the best kind of tax. They're more out of the control of the individual. If someone wants to pay less income tax they can choose to earn less income. If someone wants to pay less VAT they can choose to buy fewer things that attract VAT. If someone wants to pay less road tax they can choose to buy a car that attracts less road tax. And so forth. Housing and I'm speaking of primary homes, not extra properties(I'd tax them alright), is different in a few ways. It's far more permanent, often for a lifetime. Property tax based on value has issues. Someone buys a house in an area that was cheap that then becomes gentrified twenty years on and values soar. Or property becomes an investment bubble. That is out of the control of the homeowner. Oh sure they could "downsize" but it's not like swapping out a 3 litre Merc for a Prius. Never mind that large chunk of tax they've already paid on their decades long mortgage.

The vast majority of economists (who often disagree) agree that property taxes have advantages over other taxes.

This is a settled issue.

That is why so many countries have property taxes - they are better than other taxes.

I refer you to Mirrlees:

https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/mirrleesreview/design/ch16.pdf

Advertisement