Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

75 years ago today....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

At that stage any man that could fight was on the front line, the city residents were mostly women, children, old people. If they bombed a town tomorrow full of women and children no matter who they were affiliated with I wouldn't be happy about it, Would you?

If that town was affiliated with ISIS I would not care less and that’s the truth. Man, women and children - you don’t exterminate a rats nest and leave the kids run free, you destroy everything

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Blaze420 wrote: »
    If that town was affiliated with ISIS I would not care less and that’s the truth. Man, women and children - you don’t exterminate a rats nest and leave the kids run free, you destroy everything

Israeli ^^

They did start it and their people didn’t stop it. Total annihilation from the air. It broke them, put the reality of their end right in front of them, and I’m glad of that.

Not a nice thing to happen to civilians, but then again, they were German civilians so I’d have no sympathy for them. The parents, wives and children of Hitlers armed forces, all obeying orders.
    Feeding and arming their troops. They all had a part to play.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Israeli ^^

Westerner...sorry to ruin your **** there pal

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Will you be taking up arms and heading off to kill those women and kids yourself or are you another keyboard warrior who likes others to do the dirty work for you?

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    They did start it and their people didn’t stop it. Total annihilation from the air. It broke them, put the reality of their end right in front of them, and I’m glad of that.

Not a nice thing to happen to civilians, but then again, they were German civilians so I’d have no sympathy for them. The parents, wives and children of Hitlers armed forces, all obeying orders.
    Feeding and arming their troops. They all had a part to play.

Would you have been ok if the R.A.F had decided to bomb parts of Belfast/Derry in the 70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Westerner...sorry to ruin your **** there pal

No bother, seem as clueless as them to stop anything ever really. best of luck in your new boards.ie career.

Would you have been ok if the R.A.F had decided to bomb parts of Belfast/Derry in the 70's?

Why would the RAF bomb part of the UK? Odd question.

I would have no problem with taking a scorched earth approach to eradicating terrorist elements from anywhere, to be fair.

Every Northern Irish citizen who ever engaged in armed conflict with British forces would be fair game for a bullet in the head IMO. Likewise, any Palestinian location used to launch rockets into Israel should be turned into ashes and dust, no matter the civilians who may be killed in the action.

In 1945, if you were still living and working in a German industrial city, your cards were marked. Your grandparents, parents, siblings, husband and father of your children brought it on you.

Dresden was a show of total force. It was an important event and I’m glad it had the effect it had. They were asking for it.

So that's a no?

Will you be taking up arms and heading off to kill those women and kids yourself or are you another keyboard warrior who likes others to do the dirty work for you?

Nope but give me a button and I’d press it no problems, couldn’t care less

• Advertisement

Nope but give me a button and I’d press it no problems, couldn’t care less

So yes, a keyboard warrior, afraid to do his own dirty work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Do you think it was acceptable for loyalist paramilitaries to indiscrimintely target and kill innocent Irish catholics in the North due to the IRA?

So yes, a keyboard warrior, afraid to do his own dirty work.

Well I could always go out and sort them, would end with me in prison but that’s not a desirable outcome to be honest. Tell me brave one, are you on the frontlines or just talking out of your arsehole?

Well I could always go out and sort them, would end with me in prison but that’s not a desirable outcome to be honest. Tell me brave one, are you on the frontlines or just talking out of your arsehole?

Not now no, I was there many years ago though, seen the horrors of war that you so easily dismiss. People like you disgust me, talk about war as if it's a video game, come back to me when you have witnessed the aftermath and then tell me you would happily kill women/kids.

I'd say in reality you need help sorting your sock drawer.

Not now no, I was there many years ago though, seen the horrors of war that you so easily dismiss. People like you disgust me, talk about war as if it's a video game, come back to me when you have witnessed the aftermath and then tell me you would happily kill women/kids.

I'd say in reality you need help sorting your sock drawer.

If we are referring to Islamic terrorists then I can safely tel you I’d wipe women and children out no problem, and I mean that sincerely. Don’t let your own sensitivities cloud what actions others would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The destruction wreaked upon Japan and Germany was almost total. Most of their main cities pretty much flattened - the images of Tokyo, Berlin and Dresden after carpet bombing are pretty much as shocking as those of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that felt the full force of the newly invented atomic bomb.

Almost complete destruction of most critical infrastructure in Germany and Japan too. But both countries rose quickly from the ashes of war to become post-war economic giants.

Both countries paid a very heavy price for being the Axis in the Second World War.
    I was watching a show called War Factories earlier. They said the Allies dropped 1.5 million tons of bombs on the Krupps factory alone during WW2!

If we are referring to Islamic terrorists then I can safely tel you I’d wipe women and children out no problem, and I mean that sincerely.

So why don't you?
    Don’t let your own sensitivities cloud what actions others would take.

Type furiously on your keyboard talking tough?

So why don't you?

Type furiously on your keyboard talking tough?

Why would I? Last time I checked we are living in Ireland. We are talking hypothetical situations here and you’ve already stated you wouldn’t have the resolve to do it - I said I would.

Do you think it was acceptable for loyalist paramilitaries to indiscrimintely target and kill innocent Irish catholics in the North due to the IRA?

Dresden is not part of Northern Ireland. Assuming that’s what ‘the North’ refers to.

I’ll tell you now though, if Northern Ireland annexed Donegal and went to war with the Republic of Ireland for 5 years, all the while murdering innocent people in death camps over the border in Lifford and dropping rockets on Dublin and then one night it was blanket fire bombed and levelled, killing every man woman and child in it, I’d lose no sleep over it. I wouldn’t cry foul and I’d shed no tears about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Great pictures and I genuinely take some satisfaction from knowing that many German civilians suffered terrible deaths during those bombings. They had plenty of blood on their hands as a people by then and very few were innocent or had no role to play in their war effort, or the suffering of those sent to their deaths in the camps.

Spectacular stuff.

By that logic we are all responsible for the decades of child abuse, murder and rape from the Cathoic church.

We all deserve prison.

• Advertisement

Why would I? Last time I checked we are living in Ireland. We are talking hypothetical situations here and you’ve already stated you wouldn’t have the resolve to do it - I said I would.

I have killed before in war, I know what I am capable of and if I needed to do it again I know I would.

You have typed words on a screen talking tough and acting as if you would wipe out ISIS yourself like some.modern day Rambo.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    By that logic we are all responsible for the decades of child abuse, murder and rape from the Cathoic church.

We all deserve prison.

As a people, we can’t wash our hands of that. As a people, yes, we’re to blame. Blindly or ignorantly following men in black uniforms, doing what they say, accepting that their authority is bestowed upon them by a higher power? While the truth spread in whispered conversations, knowing glances but was never spoken out by those who would later profess they had no part to play in anything?

Doesn’t that ring a bell?!

I have killed before in war, I know what I am capable of and if I needed to do it again I know I would.

You have typed words on a screen talking tough and acting as if you would wipe out ISIS yourself like some.modern day Rambo.

Yeah sure you have pal, this is the internet so I fully believe you.....you are nothing but a handle just like me, exchanging views. You are a milkman for all I care and I’d expect the same in return.

Yeah sure you have pal, this is the internet so I fully believe you.....you are nothing but a handle just like me, exchanging views. You are a milkman for all I care and I’d expect the same in return.

I've been on here years, I have told my story many times. Believe me/dont believe me, I couldn't care less. Your posting history in this thread is there for all to see, a keyboard warrior who talks tough but would run a mile from a fist fight never mind a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

On a point of order, the reason Nagasaki was bombed was because there was cloud cover over Kokura. The bomb also missed its intended (secondary) target in Nagasaki so the destruction wasn’t as much as planned.

Hiroshima was spared from previous fire bombing campaigns because it earmarked as a target city for an atomic bomb. Tokyo could also have been spared had it been earmarked too.

The letters from local Lieutenants asking "why is Hiroshima not being targeted in the firebombing campaigns" is chilling and terrifying to read. They had no idea what was coming.

The biggest disgrace was that after bombing Hiroshima and seeing what they had done they decided 3 days later to do it again to Nagasaki.

The Atomic/Peace museum in Hiroshima is an astounding place.

I've been on here years, I have told my story many times. Believe me/dont believe me, I couldn't care less. Your posting history in this thread is there for all to see, a keyboard warrior who talks tough but would run a mile from a fist fight never mind a war.

You know absolutely nothing about me so don’t make assumptions based on text

Nah, he’s been there and done that I’m sure.

Gas though the way people who have done tough things think so many others couldn’t or wouldn’t.

Nobody thinks it would be easy, but then again, the armies of WW2 had plenty of milkmen and bakers, plumbers and teachers going out to shoot and bomb each other, and nobody was on the internet in those days making out that it’s something special or uniquely difficult to do when it really came down to it.

The vast majority of us would kill if that’s what it came to, no doubt about it. I would for sure and I don’t think I’d feel half as bad about is some would like to think I should.

WW2 German city obliterated by fire bombing, nearly 6 years into the war? Boo boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The episode of game of thrones "the bells" is heavily influenced by this event. Dresden was horrific to put it nicely.

You know absolutely nothing about me so don’t make assumptions based on text

I dont need to know "you", I know your type! Talking tough while sitting at home, pathetic.

Go back to playing call of duty, leave the fighting to those who have the guts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If they had been invaded by the Nazis via Dublin and the republic then yeah, Harland and Wolfe would have been a prime target as would likely Cork, Waterford and Dublin ports.

Advertisement