Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought off plans - dispute over specs

Options
  • 21-01-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi There,

Just looking for a bit of a steer. So I've deposit paid, contract signed etc on a new home in an estate, which we bought off plans, which is now nearing completion.

The specifications included the wording "tiling to floors and wet area walls in main bathrooms and en-suite". There is a bathroom upstairs, an ensuite upstairs as well as small bathroom downstairs.

Upon doing the snag list with my engineer, we were advised by the developer that the downstairs bathroom floor doesn't come tiled as part of the build to be handed over. I've queried this and got nowhere to date.

To me, its clear from the specifications that were part of the contract, that all "bathrooms" came with the floor tiled. I don't want to get into a big dispute with the developer & not sure how much grounds we have to argue. It's not a huge job to do ourselves, but its the principal involved & of course additional outlay on tradesmen to complete the job.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

Downstairs toilet is not technically a "bathroom". Sneaky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Get onto your solicitor to examine the situation in the contract documents. The document you are looking at may well be a brochure of sorts with lots of small print.

I certainly would want it looked at, if the builders right then so be it, but I wouldn't be rolling over. You are paying enough as it is.

However I wouldn't really class a guest WC as a bathroom. Does it have any showering facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

ronoc wrote: »

Hmm yes very sneaky if thats the case. My reading is that the wording "bathrooms and ensuite" must mean both bathrooms and en-suite.

Doop wrote: »
    Get onto your solicitor to examine the situation in the contract documents. The document you are looking at may well be a brochure of sorts with lots of small print.

I certainly would want it looked at, if the builders right then so be it, but I wouldn't be rolling over. You are paying enough as it is.

However I wouldn't really class a guest WC as a bathroom. Does it have any showering facilities?

Thanks. I'm meeting solicitor to sign other docs shortly, so will discuss it.

Re showering facilities - No it just has the a toilet. So I guess technically its not a bathroom but a WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^ As above.

If it's in a new estate with a load of builds, then go down and talk to the foreman on site. They will have a stack of the same tiles and tilers constantly in and out. Explain that you didn't realise the downstairs didn't come tiled and ask if he can sort out one of the lads to do it as a nixer. You'll get it done before you move in and for a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Does it say main bathrooms or main bathroom?. It's a bit of a contradiction really, as there can't be more than one 'main' bathroom. But if it's plural then your interpretation is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Does it say main bathrooms or main bathroom?. It's a bit of a contradiction really, as there can't be more than one 'main' bathroom. But if it's plural then your interpretation is understandable.

It sounds like down stairs is a toilet. No bath or shower then it isn't a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

The stingyness, meanness and sneakiness of this contract provision really is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Browney7 wrote: »
    The stingyness, meanness and sneakiness of this contract provision really is something to behold.

Not really they never said they would tile it by the sounds of it. The OP seems to have made an incorrect assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It sounds like down stairs is a toilet. No bath or shower then it isn't a bathroom.

fairly standard that such rooms are dubbed as bathrooms in developer and EA parlance...

4 bed 4 bathrooms doesn't usually mean 4 shower rooms..

I think the OP has interpreted the literature pretty much like 99.9% of everyone else would...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ronoc wrote: »

I don't think they're being sneaky.

It's just a confusion over terminology. Downstairs toilets are not bathrooms, though lots of people do call them bathrooms in every day conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

lawred2 wrote: »
    fairly standard that such rooms are dubbed as bathrooms in developer and EA parlance...

4 bed 4 bathrooms doesn't usually mean 4 shower rooms..

I think the OP has interpreted the literature pretty much like 99.9% of everyone else would...

I interpret the word "bathroom" as meaning a room with a bath in it. Am I being pedantic?

2020Vision wrote: »
    I interpret the word "bathroom" as meaning a room with a bath in it. Am I being pedantic?

so when you read "4 bed 4 bath" you expect to see 4 baths in a house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

I suspect that you probably have just about sufficient grey matter to answer that one all by yourself! But, just to be on the safe side, yes I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

They advertised on Daft etc as 3 bathroom
    Can't have it both ways

They advertised on Daft etc as 3 bathroom
    Can't have it both ways

In what sense?

I'm not trying to have anything both ways. I can simply see how the OP expected to see his downstairs toilet tiled.

2020Vision wrote: »
    I suspect that you probably have just about sufficient grey matter to answer that one all by yourself! But, just to be on the safe side, yes I do!

You'll be a long time waiting for one of those houses then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

My new house (about 18 months ago) had similar wording, and the downstairs toilet was tiled. It's not a guarantee, but your expectation isn't bizarre.

At the end of the day I wouldn't cancel the sale over it, but like Doop said, I wouldn't roll over either. Check for things like shaver sockets etc as well - they weren't specifically called out on my documents, and the builders refused point blank to put them in even though they were on the electrical schematic that I got a sneak view of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

eoin99 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm meeting solicitor to sign other docs shortly, so will discuss it.

Re showering facilities - No it just has the a toilet. So I guess technically its not a bathroom but a WC.

It’s not a bathroom, it won’t come tiled and you’ll get no satisfaction out of discussing it with the solicitor.

In what sense?

I'm not trying to have anything both ways. I can simply see how the OP expected to see his downstairs toilet tiled.

I meant the developer trying to have it both ways.
    Advertising as 3 bed 3 bath.
    All bathrooms tiled.
    Oh no that's not a bathroom, that's a WC.
    A phrase not even used in Ireland!!

• Advertisement

All bathrooms tiled.

This is boards though.. so the OP is clearly a fool with unrealistic expectations

Thoie wrote: »
    My new house (about 18 months ago) had similar wording, and the downstairs toilet was tiled. It's not a guarantee, but your expectation isn't bizarre.

Ditto, bought in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

All bathrooms tiled.

It says "main bathrooms" and ensuite.
    The downstairs toilet isn't a "main" bathroom, otherwise what is a "main"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Are there a list of rooms with dimensions listed on the contract OP.

It seems very much in bad faith from the developer to squeeze out as much margin as they can. On a six figure purchase it looks incredibly petty but that's just me

It says "main bathrooms" and ensuite.
    The downstairs toilet isn't a "main" bathroom, otherwise what is a "main"?

If being pedantic it says main bathrooms and ensuite.

They've tiled 1 bathroom and 1 ensuite

How can there be 1 bathrooms??

LiamaDelta wrote: »

Specifically says "main bathrooms and ensuite", which as you say is a bit of a contradiction, but my read was that then both bathrooms (be it WC or bathroom!) and the en-suite were being tiled.
    Thoie wrote: »

At the end of the day I wouldn't cancel the sale over it, but like Doop said, I wouldn't roll over either. Check for things like shaver sockets etc as well - they weren't specifically called out on my documents, and the builders refused point blank to put them in even though they were on the electrical schematic that I got a sneak view of.

This is how I'm approaching it, as it's more an inconvenience now with additional cost / tradesmen to source to get the final finish in - but the house was definitely never 'sold' to me as, needing the downstairs toilet/bathroom tiled. I essentially just feel misled - whether thats my own oversight or mis read of the documents or not.

Appreciate the responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

eoin99 wrote: »

Does it have a wash basin?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

We bought new last year and like you spec said tiled floors in bathrooms but I took the downstairs as a toilet and not a bathroom. It wasn't tiled and I never expected it to be. I guess it depends on who is reading it. We wanted to do our own thing in line with the rest of downstairs.

Not sure if it is sneaky or not. For a small jax and a few tiles it can be sorted easily and for little money... Probably not worth disputing much if it delays closing and could cost more rent etc... Moving gafs is stressful enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

My downstairs “bathroom” was tiled as part of the purchase.

I’d keep arguing it, any ambiguity should benefit the purchaser.

Advertisement