Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Front driveways not part of house land

• 08-11-2019 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Ive been taking a look at houses in a particular estate, on landdirect.ie and I noticed that none of the driveways seem to be included in any of the houses' folios. All driveways, right up to the front of every house, the road, and the green area are all part of one seprate folio, even though each house has space for two cars in front.

I assume this means the front of every house is owned/managed collectively by the management company along with road and green areas? And the homeowners dont own their own driveways?

The estate was build in 2004, if that matters.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Something to avoid? Seems weird to me.

I wonder, for example, could you be restricted somehow in what you do with the front of your house? e.g. if you wanted to plant something different, or install lighting around the driveway or something like that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mcbert wrote: »
    Ive been taking a look at houses in a particular estate, on landdirect.ie and I noticed that none of the driveways seem to be included in any of the houses' folios. All driveways, right up to the front of every house, the road, and the green area are all part of one seprate folio, even though each house has space for two cars in front.

I assume this means the front of every house is owned/managed collectively by the management company along with road and green areas? And the homeowners dont own their own driveways?

The estate was build in 2004, if that matters.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Something to avoid? Seems weird to me.

I wonder, for example, could you be restricted somehow in what you do with the front of your house? e.g. if you wanted to plant something different, or install lighting around the driveway or something like that?

Thanks.

Sounds like a managed estate. The MC will own the land with the home owner having a right to use the parking spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

kceire wrote: »
    Sounds like a managed estate. The MC will own the land with the home owner having a right to use the parking spots.

Electric car charge points could be problematic too.

elperello wrote: »
    Electric car charge points could be problematic too.

Depends on the MC.
    You can set them on a pedestal with the MC permission and at your cost of course.

Or the alternative is to fix it to your front wall and let the cable go out to the car with one of those protective mats over it. Not the best but might be ok depending on foot traffic.

Worse thing is that you can’t get the grant as you don’t have a private driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Depends on the MC.
    You can set them on a pedestal with the MC permission and at your cost of course.

Or the alternative is to fix it to your front wall and let the cable go out to the car with one of those protective mats over it. Not the best but might be ok depending on foot traffic.

Worse thing is that you can’t get the grant as you don’t have a private driveway.

Ah I don't like the sound of any of that. What's this protective mat you mentioned? Would a cable not just lead from wall to car?

Ah I don't like the sound of any of that. What's this protective mat you mentioned? Would a cable not just lead from wall to car?

The problem if you just leave the cable is the trip hazard and the potential for someone to claim from you or your house insurance as you be negligent.

Something like these
    https://www.theramppeople.ie/cable-protectors?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-CI9efb5QIVkEDTCh3YcgcZEAAYASAAEgJa7vD_BwE

No connection, just the first company that popped up on google for “cable cover”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Spencerfreeman

The problem if you just leave the cable is the trip hazard and the potential for someone to claim from you or your house insurance as you be negligent.

Something like these
    https://www.theramppeople.ie/cable-protectors?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-CI9efb5QIVkEDTCh3YcgcZEAAYASAAEgJa7vD_BwE

No connection, just the first company that popped up on google for “cable cover”.

Do not use any of the covers shown where there is foot traffic, real hazard. Use rubber mats if you have to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, those are for wheeled traffic except the indoor ones which aren't really suited

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As others have pointed out running the cable creates a trip hazard.

Another car related issue would be the possible future use of a drop down driveway post.
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/smith-locke-drop-down-parking-post-1m.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI59yZ46rd5QIVi7HtCh2kJQHpEAQYASABEgILjfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you got a nice car sometime, the sort that's attractive to thieves the MC may not allow you to protect it with one of these.

There are other matters relating to people taking short cuts and anti-social behavior to be considered also.Even driveways shared with one other house can give rise to disputes.
    Subject to budget etc. if I had a choice I'd prefer to own my driveway.

Advertisement