Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esker Hills

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CRAG

Shazanne wrote: »
    Could I just ask who has organised this public meeting and who, as in public reps etc., have been asked to attend?

All the information about the meeting is on the Facebook page, and it's probably best that we stick to that one forum for communication to keep things simple from now on.

The meeting has been organised by the church to address the concerns of residents in Esker Hills, and residents are welcome to invite whomever they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I am not on Facebook soI would appreciate you posting your information here as well.
    Who has been officially invited to this meeting other than the residents of Esker Hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TippTopp

Hi Shazanne,

Mike Tardive mailed me on facebook yesterday afternoon to let me know that he had up a post announcing the meeting on Esker Hills Facebook page about the public meeting and asked me to spread the word. By the time that I seen this message it was evening so I put up a thread on the Esker Hills Forum announcing very quickly the meeting on behalf of Laois Bible Group, sent a mail to Adser to sent a notice to all subscribers to the Esker Hills Residents Association (which was done last night) and I placed a community notice to the Leinster Express to announce the public meeting, this notice will unfortunately will only appear in next week’s edition, as deadline as far as I remember is Mondays 5pm. I have a copy of the notice below as I said that all are welcome. I mailed Mike back again yesterday eve, to check if there is any possibility of Laois Bible Group’s architect/engineer to attend and if any members of the planning department of Laois CC will attend also, which more than likely Laois Bible’s Group will attend this meeting but as for planning department, Mike was unsure.
    I have yet to contact all our public reps – but if you’re in contact (or anybody else) with any of the local reps in the area please do so, as the more people who contact the reps, the more likely that they will turn up on the night.
    Hope this is some help to you

ESKER HILLS
    A Public Meeting regarding the recent planning application for change of use of the unoccupied Crèche Building at Esker Hills, Ridge Road, Portlaoise by The Laois Bible Group, is to be held on Wednesday, 1st September 2010 at 8pm at the Parish Centre, Portlaoise. All are welcome

http://eskerhills.myfreeforum.org/Public_Meeting_8pm_Wed_1st_September_2010_Parish_Centre_about153.html

All,

There will be a public meeting will be held on Wednesday,
    1st September at 8pm upstairs in the Parish Centre

I have included the link for the Parish Centre for peoplpe who might not be familar with it http://www.portlaoiseparish.ie/parish-centre/

Also the other discussions that have been going on with connection with the creche building can be followed on Boards.ie on the following link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=937

Also add Esker Hills as a friend on Facebook to view the threads there also.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100001004134526&v=info&ref=ts

In the absence of the internet - please pass on this information to your neighbour of the public meeting next wednesday 1st September.
    many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 insaneabouthunt

i see there has been an objection to the planning on the creche,no surprise there,what next an objection to a creche!!lol;)

• Advertisement

Hi. Why'd you say that? Has this happened before and it is a regular thing? To be honest I dont even know where Blossom Court is! I find all the "flowery" names a bit confusing:D Is Blossom Court the area that will be most affected by all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 insaneabouthunt

Yeah its near the creche,but these people always object to anything new that wants to be started up in esker hills,the retail unit,the school,its a wonder nothing about the new shop!i am not lying about this go to the laoiscoco website and you will see their objections i am waiting patiently for their scanned letters on the planning sections of the website,i am not against people voicing their concerns about this situation but why not talk it out here first with our good old fashioned neighbours who like to talk about things before going official,this truely is maybe i say maybe a truely laois thing to talk about things first maybe i am wrong but that is how we are in this county.thanks,;)

Yeah its near the creche,but these people always object to anything new that wants to be started up in esker hills,the retail unit,the school,its a wonder nothing about the new shop!i am not lying about this go to the laoiscoco website and you will see their objections i am waiting patiently for their scanned letters on the planning sections of the website,i am not against people voicing their concerns about this situation but why not talk it out here first with our good old fashioned neighbours who like to talk about things before going official,this truely is maybe i say maybe a truely laois thing to talk about things first maybe i am wrong but that is how we are in this county.thanks,;)

Fair enough - I am from North Tipperary and we do things the same there:)!
    I am not aware of the objection you are referring to but I was given to believe that a residents group may have submitted a formal objection. However, we will no doubt all have our say on Wednesday night next and I do hope I can be there. I work as a journalist so sometimes things crop up unexpectedly - but fingers crossed!!
    However, if the meeting turns into a preaching session by the Bible people or they try and monopolise the proceedings, I will not tolerate that and would suggest a walk out by the residents!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CRAG

Obaraten wrote: »
    Mod note:
    Can the persons involved in the Laois bible group please pm me

I'm trying to, but it's telling me I don't have enough posts to do so - I only joined to be part of this discussion. Can you "pm" me?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

Im blind, i dont see this on the laois co co website :P:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

elainee40 wrote:
    Im blind, i dont see this on the laois co co website

You can see who objected here but the only letters that have been scanned in and are viewable online so far are the ones from the cottages opposite the estate entrance. Click on the link and then click on the "submissions" button on the top left side

http://www.laois.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=10406&LASiteID=0

So? Anyone go to the meeting tonight? How'd it go? I couldnt make it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Here now Adam. Lots of rabble rabble to be honest. Three or four people talking sense. one man made coherent points and seems to have done some serious
    Homework re regulations etc. Can't see them getting permission.

cheers JP, there's always going to be rabble rabble and someone talking hysterically :D
    Sure it makes it entertaining

Unfortunatley I was unable to attend the meeting last night, however,I believe there was great interest in my whereabouts. So much so,some felt it appropriate to make the point of my absence in front of all that attended. Not only was it asked 'where' I was but it was also added that I 'should' be there. Apparently my status as a resident of the estate, just like everyone else, is alot more important than I thought?

I want to just clear a few things up - as something was implied that was completely untrue. The Laois Bible Fellowship contacted Esker Hills (via old commitee email) with regard to their intent. As you all know there is no commitee any more, and the emails are checked occasionally by me alone in case of anything important. I told them of this so I advised them that THEY should distribute leaflets to inform all residents of their intentions. I also suggested that THEY make a point of calling to the houses beside the creche to talk to them as they would be the ones most affected. Then when the CHURCH organised a meeting (NOT ME FOR THOSE WHO CLAIMED OTHERWISE), I simply distributed the information on facebook, via email and boards so as many residents could find out about it as possible.That was my involvement, end of story.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I was trying to be helpful in replying to the church and trying to encourage them to contact all residents so we could all have the facts, voice our concerns and reach an agreement that pleases ALL THE RESIDENTS. I could have done nothing,as I was fully entitled to do.Would that have been better?

I am a normal resident of this estate just like everybody else, I have no more obligation than anybody else to attend any meeting or anything else. I opened up a facebook page(and the old committee also set up a forum) for residents to come together & discuss issues about the estate? This doesnt mean I am now some sort of estate representative.

I am sorry for the rant...but I am writing this post for all the residents who may or may not have attended the meeting to put things straight. I don't know why I came up in the meeting at all but I will not be criticised by somebody who has no facts and chooses to bring me up as some sort of scapegoat. Particularly when I am not there to defend myself. It is because of stuff (and people) like this that the old commitee was forced to break up.

Well I wont be dealing with it anymore, so if anyone wants to look after the facebook page and the emails, please message me.

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Well i want to thank you for all your hard work Adam. I dont know why you bothered in the first place with the attitude of some people. The estate will be far worse off without your support.

Cheers JP

I'm not quite up to speed on the background to all this but, without hesitation, I would applaud anyone who has taken initiative in the past (or, indeed the present) towards the betterment of Esker Hills. I did not know there was an "old" committee that has disbanded and, reading between the lines, it would appear that it disbanded under unfortunate circumstances.
    They say that "a camel is a horse designed by a committee" - and with good reason! It's very difficult to get a committee to work effectively together, much less to agree. But it is a shame to see someone who tried to make things work being faulted, as appears to be the case with Adser.
    In my oinion, for what its worth, the small sub-committee for the different areas of Esker Hills will work far better than a large one representative of the entire estate. That's not to say that one group cannot help or support another, but small is beautiful when it comes to committees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I did hear your name mentioned last night Adam, but I think some of last night was a witch hunt so to speak. Adam has worked with me for the last few months in trying to get the big green down the end of the estate ship-shape, it took a huge amount of work for both of us to get that going. Quite apart from that, Adam runs the Facebook page and set up the forums that a lot of you use, for my part without Adam, most of us would still be strangers.
    Last night was all a bit negative for my liking, I would love to see something going into that building but having two small kids myself I would rather see a creche or community hall, something that we could all get involved in.

I have nothing against the Fellowship, they all seemed like nice honest people just trying to find a home, I admire them for having the meeting in the first place they could have just applied for planning permission and see what happens.
    If your planning permission gets granted I'll be happy to see someone use that hall, but I'll be sad to loose the creche and the difficulties that will bring with parking and so on.
    If you don't get your permission I wish you all the best in finding your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 megers

THIS IS JENNY ,I DONT NO WHO YOU ARE BUT I THINK YOU SHOULD GET YOUR FACTS RITE FIRST THIS IS OUR FIRST OBJECTION WE'VE PUT IN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

i think between here and facebook its getting out of hand now.

Meeting is done and dusted and out come will be know soon, we'll all be fighting with ourselves soon lol

Shazanne wrote:
    I did not know there was an "old" committee that has disbanded and, reading between the lines, it would appear that it disbanded under unfortunate circumstances.
    They say that "a camel is a horse designed by a committee" - and with good reason! It's very difficult to get a committee to work effectively together, much less to agree. But it is a shame to see someone who tried to make things work being faulted, as appears to be the case with Adser.
    In my oinion, for what its worth, the small sub-committee for the different areas of Esker Hills will work far better than a large one representative of the entire estate. That's not to say that one group cannot help or support another, but small is beautiful when it comes to committees!

Howya Shazanne, just to give a quick bit of background to this so that you're not presuming the worst of us :D , Owenass held a meeting about the estate after they finished building and at that meeting, 4 of us volunteered to be the residents association committee.

We all got on great together and worked our arses off for many countless hours and I like to think we accomplished a good deal and served the estate as best as humanly possible, between clean up days, anti-social behaviour, getting Owenass back to sort out some issues etc.

Unfortunatley, this wasn't enough for a few residents and in the end we were getting nothing but grief from them so we just called it a day.

I decided a few months later, after talking to Alan Hand, to try get things moving again by organising another clean up and also encouraging people to set up, like you said, small commitees in their areas.

Apart from that, I swore that I would have no further involvement other than the internet end of things and to offer any help to people who wanted to try set up things in their own areas (by putting them in touch with eachother etc) So for the last 6 or 7 months, this is really all I've done. So now some small commitees have started looking after their own spots which is brilliant and, like you said, the best thing for the estate.:)

But, it seems even this small involvment wasn't good enough for some people, who until this point kept their heads very low in the estate. I was still the one who's name they knew and last Wednesday, I became the focus of their anger about some long standing issues they seem to have. :(

I'm not going to worry about it. Maybe the people that were so quick to call out my name and demand my presence the other night might take up the mantle to compensate for my obvious shortcomings. :D:p
    Bodhan wrote:
    I did hear your name mentioned last night Adam, but I think some of last night was a witch hunt so to speak. Adam has worked with me for the last few months in trying to get the big green down the end of the estate ship-shape, it took a huge amount of work for both of us to get that going. Quite apart from that, Adam runs the Facebook page and set up the forums that a lot of you use, for my part without Adam, most of us would still be strangers.
    Last night was all a bit negative for my liking, I would love to see something going into that building but having two small kids myself I would rather see a creche or community hall, something that we could all get involved in.

I have nothing against the Fellowship, they all seemed like nice honest people just trying to find a home, I admire them for having the meeting in the first place they could have just applied for planning permission and see what happens.
    If your planning permission gets granted I'll be happy to see someone use that hall, but I'll be sad to loose the creche and the difficulties that will bring with parking and so on.
    If you don't get your permission I wish you all the best in finding your home.

I couldn't agree more Bob and don't worry, I still plan on doing my bit for our end with you.

Now even though I'm not getting invloved anymore, I do think we should move on from the whole creche/church debate as we'll find out soon enough what the planning decision is. It's silly to continue going in circles arguing with eachother. :pac:

Anyone fancy a pint? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 keepourcreche

Hi sorry u like so many residents ,couldn’t attend the meeting last night however just to clarify it was the pastor of the church who stated that you were his contact point within the estate and you were fully informed of their plans... and intentions. It seems from last nights meeting with these people and from your comments that what they say is not always what they mean, however the second point where your name was mentioned was when the pastor was asked if he had any discussions with you about the residents feelings with regards to the change of use. This question was asked as you have had previous experience of such issues with the earlier committee and that would have informed him of the task he was facing in obtaining planning. All residents at the meeting were aware that you only acted as a information point .we feel so sorry that as a result of this meeting that you feel you no longer will put yourself forward as a representative for the estate considering all the good and often thankless work you have done for the estate in conclusion the size of the attendance from the residents at last nights meeting confirms how very few were interested in what the church had to say

Obaraten wrote: »
    Hi folks can we tone it down a little thanks,i dont want to lock this thread.

No arguements here, this is getting a tad silly.

I only initially posted to defend myself from the witchhunt as this is one of the mediums I've always used to distribute news, statements etc to residents of the estate.

And please, if people want to keep on arguing about the creche/church can they start their own thread because I don't want this one to turn into tit-for-tat comments like the facebook page did. (however,I have one more reply :rolleyes:)
    Hi sorry u like so many residents ,couldn’t attend the meeting last night however just to clarify it was the pastor of the church who stated that you were his contact point within the estate and you were fully informed of their plans... and intentions. It seems from last nights meeting with these people and from your comments that what they say is not always what they mean, however the second point where your name was mentioned was when the pastor was asked if he had any discussions with you about the residents feelings with regards to the change of use. This question was asked as you have had previous experience of such issues with the earlier committee and that would have informed him of the task he was facing in obtaining planning. All residents at the meeting were aware that you only acted as a information point .we feel so sorry that as a result of this meeting that you feel you no longer will put yourself forward as a representative for the estate considering all the good and often thankless work you have done for the estate in conclusion the size of the attendance from the residents at last nights meeting confirms how very few were interested in what the church had to say
    I already replied to this post/comment yesterday on facebook. The implications about my involvment in your post (i.e that I was "fully informed of their plans... and intentions" ) were refuted by, not only myself, but other residents and the pastor himself. I don't see your point in reposting the exact same comment here following the 8 or 9 replies to it on facebook already

Can we move on now?

adser53 wrote: »
    No arguements here, this is getting a tad silly.

I only initially posted to defend myself from the witchhunt as this is one of the mediums I've always used to distribute news, statements etc to residents of the estate.

And please, if people want to keep on arguing about the creche/church can they start their own thread because I don't want this one to turn into tit-for-tat comments like the facebook page did. (however,I have one more reply :rolleyes:)

I already replied to this post/comment yesterday on facebook. The implications about my involvment in your post (i.e that I was "fully informed of their plans... and intentions" ) were refuted by, not only myself, but other residents and the pastor himself. I don't see your point in reposting the exact same comment here following the 8 or 9 replies to it on facebook already

Can we move on now?
    I thought everyone had......it is not tit for tat we live in a democracy as far as i am aware.the initial point was made by the guy in the meeting he said you were unaware of any of their plans...yet esker hills website posted the following "This meeting has been organised by the Laois Bible Fellowship, at the request of the residents, in order for them to answer some questions and concerns about their proposed plans to purhcase the creche building to use as their new church." are you not taking care of esker hills site ?. ..where any comment is made a reply will be posted..As you well know if you put your head above the trench wall there is a good chance it will be targeted as we have found out over the last few weeks,we will not be silenced about issues in the area,as for refuting the statement about their plans you posted this "As for the second time my name was raised, I don't see the relevance of why I was brought up. There hasn't been a committe since last August. I have no more experience than anyone else,so why it was felt necessary to ask the pastor " if he had any discussions with you (me)about the residents feelings with regards to the change of use." makes no sense to me. I suggested they organise a meeting and hand out leaflets in the interest of the residents. So we could know the full story. Then the residents could discuss their feelings themselves" this implies that you were aware of what the plans were.Which of the two ? you or the american guy are being economical with the truth.Just to repeat any comment regarding change of use (planning) will be replied to on whatever medium it appears.......

Mag, I really don't know what your problem is. We're all on the same side (Esker Hills) so why you see fit to target me in your crusade for the estate is beyond me. This is the last reply I'll be putting up to you because you clearly have a bone to pick with someone and that's not going to be me.

I have said already that they contacted the esker hills email. I advised them to hold a meeting and to hand out leaflets. A meeting that you yourself attended. Whats the problem with that? This doesn't mean I had secret, in-depth knowledge of their plans. In fact, by all accounts, you have a hell of a lot more information than anyone else.

My head was above the trench wall long enough. I've withdrawn it now because individuals such as yourself have deemed it fit to classify me as the enemy when things don't go their way. And no one is asking you to be silent, in fact, be as loud as you want about your issues but don't drag me into them.

As for me posting "As for the second time my name was raised, I don't see the relevance of why I was brought up. There hasn't been a committe since last August. I have no more experience than anyone else,so why it was felt necessary to ask the pastor " if he had any discussions with you (me)about the residents feelings with regards to the change of use." makes no sense to me. I suggested they organise a meeting and hand out leaflets in the interest of the residents. So we could know the full story. Then the residents could discuss their feelings themselves"
    Read the post Mag, "so we could know the full story". That means I didn't know it so why would you assume that I had any knowledge of what they intended? You yourself said "the initial point was made by the guy in the meeting he said you were unaware of any of their plans"
    You seem to be a fan of misquoting people, misrepresenting peoples comments and jumping to conclusions. I live in this estate and have only it's best interests at heart so get off your pedestal and stop insinuating otherwise.

YOU made up your own mind about the church and lumped me in with it. As for being economical with the truth, I couldn't disagree with you more. I've been honest and truthful all through this. You just seem to have made some large assumptions and jumped to conclusions based on nothing. I applaud your dedication to the whole issue, fair play to you. However, I had next to nothing to do with it so why don't you continue to focus your energy on bettering the estate and maybe help finding a use for the building instead of wasting everyones time in your imaginary witch hunt.

If you want to keep flogging a dead horse, I suggest you start your own thread here or a facebook page.
    Just to repeat any comment regarding change of use (planning) will be replied to on whatever medium it appears.......
    Yes a reply is fully acceptable on whatever medium used. HOWEVER, reposting a reply that was refuted 24 hours earlier serves no purpose and appears to be nothing more than an attempt to target me and/or restart an arguement that has already been put to rest. You could have simply joined-in in this discussion and offered some constructive input.

I hope that after the creche is sorted you continue to work for the estate because I certainly don't have the energy to deal with people like you anymore, where nothing is ever enough. Keep safe :rolleyes:

Also Obaraten, I realise you asked us to cool things down but please don't lock this thread. Up until now it has been a great thread and a valuable resource for the estate with no arguements. And I assure this will be my last post to "keepourcreche".

Hi Adam there never has been a “witch hunt” (whatever Bob suggests)it is just your own
    paranoia if you check face book I have had nothing but praise for your work. Everyone needs to stand back and look at what is happening, this organisation has only applied for planning and look at the discord it has caused in the area.
    Look at the comment about blossom court since it is on their doorstep surely they have every reason
    To object to the planning. There has been two traffic incidents involving children in the last 6 weeks and now this
    Group is looking to increase parking to 59 spaces. Sorry to offend you by repeating myself but the traffic calming measures are not adequate and there is no safety signage or road markings at the entrance.
    When present
    Planning Is stopped I will continue to campaign for better safety measures and a use for the building that will benefit the community.
    On a final note I am not on a pedestal and never will be I do not need this for my self esteem.
    For everyone that is reading this please have the remainder of the objections in by noon tomorrow (6th Sept). On one final point Adam this is not about you so get over yourself it is about improving our area
    Making it safer for our children and pedestrians And using an empty building for for the benefit of our
    Estate. As far as creating a new thread this is “esker hills” and any resident in esker hills should be allowed post information relevant to the area . As for getting this thread locked Adam I resent this accusation considering it has been you and meggar who have been contacted by the moderator.:D:D:D

Look at least we can agree on something then that the issue is about the creche. Let's just leave it at that.

I do also hope you continue to campaign for better road safety in the estate as it is an issue.

And I also agree that of ALL the estate residents, the ones in Blossom court matter most when it comes to that building and their happiness is paramount.
    As for my contact with the moderator it wasnt a warning, in fact quite the opposite.
    I wish you the best in your campaign, and I'm sure everyone would like to be kept updated on your progress.

• Advertisement

Advertisement