Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis Qs?

• 08-05-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

I am intent on buying an avensis as an upgrade from my 1.4L 1999 Almera the main reason being the space inside (for bambino, buggy, bags etc) and reliability. Looking through the net it seems my budget will get me an 04/05 depending on mileage, fuel etc.

I do 240 motorway miles a week. I am looking at the 1.6 petrol but was wondering if i would be better with a diesel? or even what is the difference between 1.6 and 1.8 petrols?

Any hints, tips and/or advice wud br great!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not sure that kind of mileage would justify the extra cost of a diesel tbh.

If you drive quickly the 1.8 (more power) might be better as it'd be less stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They gobble up fuel at higher speeds - 120 kph has the engine spinning at 3,600 rpm in fifth gear:eek:!

The 1.8 runs at 3,200 rpm at the same speed so is more economical, and is quieter since it runs at lower revs.

Obviously it is a bit quicker as well, but even the 1.8 is not terribly fast so I would say a 1.6 would struggle in a car that big.

Have you looked at other cars? The Avensis is far from the best family saloon out there, and VVTi Avensis are known for giving trouble with the bearings in the gearbox, as well as I have found to my cost:(.

I don't know a lot about the diesels, but according to Honest John, they have swirl flaps, and if these break off, it's bye bye engine as any BMW diesel owner will tell you. As they are inexpensive to remove, I would not let that put me off buying one, plus they have hydraulic power steering (the petrols have feel free electric power steering), so should be nicer to drive than the petrol.

A Mazda 6 petrol (but not the diesel - they're a disaster) might be nice, and of course the Ford Mondeo would be a great choice - the older TDdi is a bit noisy but is more reliable than the newer TDCi and has exactly the same power - the Zetec has a decent spec and is more powerful than the poverty spec LX models. The B5.5 (01-early 05) Passat would be the comfiest of the lot, and would be reliable if it's a TDI - it's hard to find an engine that is more reliable than a VW 1.9 TDI, they might be noisy but it's worth it for the superior reliability it offers over most common rail diesels (Toyota and Honda included).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Defo go for a Deisel...motor tax will be higher but you'll claw the difference back within a month or two. The extra cost in buying a Diesel car you'll also claw back over two years - after that it'll be cheaper to run.

You'll get about 370 to 390 miles with a full tank on petrol in an Avensis 1.6 - thats driving at speed limits and not doing an eco-friendly fuel saving excercise. Now add about a third or a quarter and thats what you'll get out of the deisel. Up to about 500 miles.

As you know Deisel is about 6c cheaper than Petrol, and you'll get more miles.

If you sit down and work out the cost savings based on your usage, you will find the Diesel wins.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The diesel wins only if the cars cost the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I was going the Avensis diesel route I'd get the 6 speed post 06 spec. The 5 speed clutch gets heavy with average mileage and the dmf gives trouble. Aside from that its pretty gutless and the 5 speed doesn't have folding rear seats either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

astrofluff wrote: »
    Defo go for a Deisel...motor tax will be higher but you'll claw the difference back within a month or two. The extra cost in buying a Diesel car you'll also claw back over two years - after that it'll be cheaper to run.

You'll get about 370 to 390 miles with a full tank on petrol in an Avensis 1.6 - thats driving at speed limits and not doing an eco-friendly fuel saving excercise. Now add about a third or a quarter and thats what you'll get out of the deisel. Up to about 500 miles.

As you know Deisel is about 6c cheaper than Petrol, and you'll get more miles.

If you sit down and work out the cost savings based on your usage, you will find the Diesel wins.

With a modern diesel you should also take into account the cost of DMF replacement and DPF (particulate filter) servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Avensis 2.0 didn't get a dpf till 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Guill wrote: »
    I am intent on buying an avensis as an upgrade from my 1.4L 1999 Almera the main reason being the space inside (for bambino, buggy, bags etc) and reliability. Looking through the net it seems my budget will get me an 04/05 depending on mileage, fuel etc.

I do 240 motorway miles a week. I am looking at the 1.6 petrol but was wondering if i would be better with a diesel? or even what is the difference between 1.6 and 1.8 petrols?

Any hints, tips and/or advice wud br great!

This is an eery post :p. I drove a 1.4- 99 nissan almera, my little girl was born at the start of the month so i set my sights on an avensis.
    The almera wont be any use for a car seat. Baby nearly got whiplash.

I found a 05 avensis but by the time the car lone came through it was gone.

In the end of my car hunt i got my 06 Mazda 6 - 1.8 petrol and i love it. The car seat fits better than it did in the avensis, and its a much cooler car.

Tax is a bit of a killer, €551 for the year, but the kids love it and its my new baby!. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Had a great experience yesterday with an Avensis:
    I saw a great looking one on Done Deal for the right price. Was telling a friend about it and it actually turned out that his GF had went to see it last weekend, he thought it was a great car but his GF was turned off by the fact that there was a typo on the TAX BOOK (??????). At the top of the tax book it said Avensis strata 1.8L and down further the engine size was 1598cc, he was selling it as a 1.6.

So I decided to go and have a look to see what the deal was, when I got there the guy had the entire tax book filled (all I needed to do was sign if happy). He also explained to me about the tax book typo after I pretended to just kop it. I will admit I was kind of falling for it because the car was so nice and everything was perfect, new tyres full service history, low mileage, new NCT, spotless inside and out. Drove perfectly through all gears. Alarm bells started ringing again when I noticed the car had full climate control which as far as I know only came in the 1.8? His deal was that he was heading back to Lithuania and was selling the car, he had it for 6 months and had tried to get the tax office to fix the typo on the book but they said that it did not matter; he said that I would be the third owner. So after haggling on money I told they guy I would call him later and went off to decide what to do. It was such a good deal I decided to do the Cartell investigation on it and it threw up crazy results:

The car changed hands on April 1st, the engine number changed on April 11th, NCT a couple of days later. I would be the 5th owner if I was to buy it. Cartell called it a 1.8L Avensis but also had it down as 1598cc.

Certainly not buying that car!!!

So just out of interest with the engine change and the Tax Book info is it possible that the engine could have been changed down from 1.8L to 1.6L??? I would have thought that the gear box and more would have to change too? How is the mileage on the car measured? Engine hours or wheel rotation etc? If the engine was changed does the ODO in the car show what that engine has actually done? I just can’t figure out what the deal with the car was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Avoid the 1.8, at all costs. They have had serious issues (as have had most all, but the 1.6 litre VVTi engines) and have been the subject of a quiet recall by Toyota Ireland for either piston re-sleeving or engine replacement.

The 1.6 will bore you to tears, but, if you're used to an Almera, it won't matter.
    The 1.6 will give you high 30's mpg and a 2005 should be buyable for €5k (ish)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So many reasons to walk away on that one, it should be stickied! Fair enough if it was a type (I had a mitsubishi that the log book was down as a 1.5 steam engine) but the changes make me think engine change. Not a bad thing in itself, but only if done properly. 5 Owners is pretty high, were they changing often? If you've bought a lemon, you'll try to get rid of it quick.

People are always going back to their home country, giving you a brilliant deal. Ignore this and concentrate on the facts of the car.

Way too many issues with this car to tempt me. Maybe if I was a mechanic, and willing to take a chance.

What is the average MPG for a 1.8L petrol Mazda 6? I've seen some nice ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Havent had a chance to look into it yet. Ill report back. ;)

Gophur wrote: »
    Avoid the 1.8, at all costs. They have had serious issues (as have had most all, but the 1.6 litre VVTi engines) and have been the subject of a quiet recall by Toyota Ireland for either piston re-sleeving or engine replacement.

The 1.6 will bore you to tears, but, if you're used to an Almera, it won't matter.
    The 1.6 will give you high 30's mpg and a 2005 should be buyable for €5k (ish)

I'm not really sure what the point of this post is:confused:?

Are you trying to say the 1.6s need piston re-sleeving/engine replacement as well?

Toyota replaced the blocks in any VVTis that suffered from burning oil years ago. Some of them were burning oil at very low mileage, and Toyota replaced the blocks in those engines for free.

Some did not have a problem at the time and Toyota didn't bother repairing them, so some VVTis are only getting the problem now. So it's something anyone buying a VVTi Toyota needs to watch out for. If the block has been replaced, that's a good thing - it means you don't have to worry about the car burning oil and those VVTi engines are great engines apart from this flaw. I was VB has a VVTi (a 1.8 funnily enough) with 314,000 miles (505k km) on the clock, and that was from taxi'ing and the car still works, so they are capable of doing big mileage once they're not burning oil.

Toyota were supposed to have sorted the problem in 2003, but only last week some one had a thread on their 04 Avensis VVTi burning oil.

The Mazda 6 is a nicer car than the Avensis and will if anything be more reliable once it's not a diesel.

A diesel Mazda 6 will break your heart though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

My average consumption is 6.5L/100km on my 2006 1.8 avensis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

PADRAIC.M wrote: »

on motorways at 110-130kph?

How many mpg is that?

The average mpg on the trip computer is about 10-15% more than what the car is actually getting.

If the trip computer says 40 mpg then it's really doing about 36 mpg.

I know from owning one of these cars that they are crap for fuel consumption on the motorway - I once drove from Cork to Mondello and got 29 mpg, admittedly that was at a speedo indicated 130 kph (so just over 120 in reality before all the high horse brigade get excited) but that's still dreadful for a 1.8 petrol even at those speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

PADRAIC.M wrote: »

That's 43 mpg and very dubious, for a 1.8l petrol car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i was driving to carlow on saturday to see a car. the satnav said i was doing 109kph when the speedo said 120? do i take it that i was just doing a happy medium 115?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Satnav is Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

So I decided to go and have a look to see what the deal was, when I got there the guy had the entire tax book filled (all I needed to do was sign if happy). He also explained to me about the tax book typo after I pretended to just kop it. I will admit I was kind of falling for it because the car was so nice and everything was perfect, new tyres full service history, low mileage, new NCT, spotless inside and out. Drove perfectly through all gears. Alarm bells started ringing again when I noticed the car had full climate control which as far as I know only came in the 1.8? His deal was that he was heading back to Lithuania and was selling the car, he had it for 6 months and had tried to get the tax office to fix the typo on the book but they said that it did not matter; he said that I would be the third owner. So after haggling on money I told they guy I would call him later and went off to decide what to do. It was such a good deal I decided to do the Cartell investigation on it and it threw up crazy results:
    Who was the FSH with? Did you give them a call? Obviously the car is not a genuine example, but I'm interested in this part.

According to Parker.co.uk the average MPG for a Mazda 6 1.8L petrol is 36MPG, the Almera i am driving now is down at 40MPG!
    Therefore with the Mazda, my tax and consumption would go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

get a toyota corolla instead. definately make sure you get a diesel. if you get a 1.6L toyota avensis older than 2008 you will be be paying €445 in tax annually. we sold the avensis and got another corolla seeing as we were so impressed with the one dad had. we got a 2010 1.4 diesel toyota corolla about 2 months ago. dad has a 2008 1.4 diesel corolla. they both look the exact same and are amazing cars. way faster than the toyota avensis we had also. we only pay €156 tax on each corolla per year. they also get around 60 miles per gallon. without a doubt i would get a corolla over an avensis any day as they are so much better.
    update: the 2004 1.6L toyota avensis petrol we had only did 40 miles per gallon at best on a very good road.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72135648&postcount=24

This wins the Boards.ie Motors post of the day :D!

Oh how I lol'd and then lol'd some more after reading that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

I have seen over 50mpg on the trip on my 04 avensis and would recommend the car to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Gophur wrote: »
    That's 43 mpg and very dubious, for a 1.8l petrol car.

+1

That's a good average over a tank for me in a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is some daft mpg figures for the Avensis being quoted in this thread. I had a 2003 new shape 1.8 litre Avensis from new for 4.5 years and covered over 160k miles in it. Mostly motorway driving but also some daily trips around town, on average I got around 35mpg mixed from it which I considered decent for a car of it's size and weight. Expecting anything better from any 1.8 litre large family car is unrealistic imo.

I passed the car onto my father who is semi-retired and still has it with over 200k miles on it mainly used for getting about. The car has started using more oil than before but his mechanic reckons that is to be expected on a car of that age and mileage. The clutch is now starting to slip a little but other than that, a new battery 3 years ago and rattles from the trim, the car has served us well and done exactly what it was bought for.

Right i agree some of the figures are OTT alrite.

If we are saying that the 1.8L petrol does 35-40 MPG, what would the 1.6 petrol do under the same driving conditions?

A guestimate will do!

Right i agree some of the figures are OTT alrite.

If we are saying that the 1.8L petrol does 35-40 MPG, what would the 1.6 petrol do under the same driving conditions?

A guestimate will do!

A 1.8 will do better than a 1.6 on a motorway, because it has more power, so it does not need to work as hard, and also because it has taller gearing, meaning it runs at lower revs, and lower revs = lower fuel consumption.

The official EU fuel consumption figures suggest that a 1.8 is actually a shade more economical than the 1.6 though, and cars are driven extremely gently in that, so I think it is safe to say that the 1.8 will be more frugal.

I repeat that fuel consumption in these is dreadful at motorway speeds though - on national roads with a speed limit of 100 kph fuel economy is much better - but don't expect to ever get more than about 35-36 mpg.

• Advertisement

Understood.

I am trying to work out if the slight bit extra in tax and insurance would pay for itself in fuel consumption.

Advertisement