Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busconnects and MetroNorth now dead in the water due to 3bn Coronavirus aid package?

• 11-03-2020 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I can’t help but feel we have just been condemned to at least another 10 years of commuter hell and gridlock, as surely there will not be any available funding for these projects now?

Our only hope of easing congestion and improving journey times is for more companies to allow/encourage employees to work from home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Who knows! The nbp going ahead was idiotic. With the current situation, it’s a total disgrace. There is no comparison between it and the importance of DU or DM for example. If the **** hits the fan again, I’d way prefer projects like this to be going ahead , than squandered on sustaining outrageous welfare etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

3bn Coronavirus aid package in itself, no, that was money that had set aside for Brexit issues, so wouldn't directly impact infrastructure project.

However the broader picture of Coronavirus drawing out and triggering a global recession could certainly impact infrastructure projects. Infrastructure projects are always the first to be impacted in a recession here unfortunately.

Having said that, it depends on how bad the virus is, how long it sticks around and how deep and long the recession is. Previous infection triggered recessions were typically short and the global economy rebounded quickly after. If that is the case again, then I'd expect no or only a minor delay to such projects.

On the other hand if if it drags out and a recession deepens, then I'd certainly be worried about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What with the failure of the austerity approach last time around, and government borrowing being at some of the cheapest levels in history, you'd have to hope they would instead take the approach of building out the kind of infrastructure that will be necessary to recover from any recession. But then never bet on the wisdom of centrists.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bk wrote: »
    3bn Coronavirus aid package in itself, no, that was money that had set aside for Brexit issues, so wouldn't directly impact infrastructure project.

However the broader picture of Coronavirus drawing out and triggering a global recession could certainly impact infrastructure projects. Infrastructure projects are always the first to be impacted in a recession here unfortunately.

Having said that, it depends on how bad the virus is, how long it sticks around and how deep and long the recession is. Previous infection triggered recessions were typically short and the global economy rebounded quickly after. If that is the case again, then I'd expect no or only a minor delay to such projects.

On the other hand if if it drags out and a recession deepens, then I'd certainly be worried about them.

Which is probably the worst thing to do , prioritising infrastructure development during recessions is the easiest way to keep a country ticking over and take maximum advantage of lower land and construction costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont worry the recession that follows this will kill it stone dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The problem is nobody will protest or go on strike when it cancelled. Plus it's not like there is pressure like there was to build the children's hospital.

It will be abandoned asap in a downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Which is probably the worst thing to do , prioritising infrastructure development during recessions is the easiest way to keep a country ticking over and take maximum advantage of lower land and construction costs.

Exactly. Look at how well the Luas project went during the recession.

"The most astonishing aspect of Luas Cross City is that, at €368 million, it is on budget, even slightly under its original €370 million price tag."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

bk wrote: »

Yes but they will have to replenish the brexit fund from somewhere

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I agree completely, counter cyclical policy that you find in Germany, etc.

We've never done that in the past unfortunately. Hopefully this time it will be different. One small thing, the last recession hit Ireland directly pretty badly. We were right in the middle of it. This one may not hit us as directly and as personally. But that is all to be seen yet.
    Harpon wrote: »
    Yes but they will have to replenish the brexit fund from somewhere

I get the impression that they feel the biggest Brexit dangers and uncertainty have past and perhaps such a big fund isn't needed now. With Britain now facing into a recession on it's own and needing to work closely with it's EU neighbours to fight this pandemic, I think there is a general feeling that it will soften their Brexit demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

can they get out of the IDIOTIC NBP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Who knows! The nbp going ahead was idiotic. With the current situation, it’s a total disgrace. There is no comparison between it and the importance of DU or DM for example. If the **** hits the fan again, I’d way prefer projects like this to be going ahead , than squandered on sustaining outrageous welfare etc

Any fugging excuse is all it needs to effectively cancel any project

Advertisement