Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    There is no way you'd be supporting them and saying 'we' if the pool were relegated. You'd be back under your rock and out with a man city Jersey on.

So what if I did? Does it really matter who I support or how I feel about it?

I love supporting Liverpool, it's great fun. Especially right now when we're playing really good stuff and winning something.

You shouldn't let it affect you

Pretty much the same as staying back and singing ynwa when Liverpool beat man utd or Everton away from home?

Yep, I've loved doing that this season, it's more my thing is all, no issues with you guys having your own song to sing, probably feels just as good maybe even better than when we do it

And that's a huge problem for the sport here.
    The fai and RTÉ don't care.
    They are showing all the women's world Cup games but show 16 LOI games this season.

If they showed a game every Friday, interest would pick up.

100%

Though flip side is I'd probably go to less games locally if it's on tv which maybe what they look to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

8-10 wrote: »
    Games are on Friday's these days. I work Friday I can't go to everything mate. And even if I could I'm just not as connected to the club as I am with Liverpool.

I have Liverpool content coming at me from everywhere, really good quality stuff not just the games either.

What's your team out of curiosity? If you work you work, that's life, you won't be working Friday nights forever though

At the end of the day I think if you have a reasonably local club and you're into football, I can't understand why people don't even develop some basic affinity with their club and then you go through phases of your life where sometimes you go more often than other times

Bateman wrote: »
    What's your team out of curiosity? If you work you work, that's life, you won't be working Friday nights forever though

At the end of the day I think if you have a reasonably local club and you're into football, I can't understand why people don't even develop some basic affinity with their club and then you go through phases of your life where sometimes you go more often than other times

Cabinteely FC

I go to a few games a season, not a lot. I go to Anfield about the same amount if not more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Exactly. I'd rather be in these crowds than in a Dublin pub with Dublin Liverpool fans signing you will never walk alone.

It's this atmosphere is what they are missing out.

https://www.facebook.com/20869165701/posts/10161516141990702/ from the last rovers game where bohs won down in tallaght.

I really enjoy the completely oblivious nature with which Irish Liverpool fans sing the Allez Allez Allez song. "And we come from Liverpool"

blade1 wrote: »
    You must really hate your job :P

work hard and play hard is all :)

What about all the English footballers who have played for the Irish national team over the years? Are Irish people not allowed to support them or is it just English clubs that they shouldn't support?

No you aren't. You're not allowed watch match of the day. You're not allowed check the goalscorers in all the games Irish players are involved in. You're not allowed read interesting interviews with Irish players based in England. It automatically makes you a tan

Jesus wept :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yep, I've loved doing that this season, it's more my thing is all, no issues with you guys having your own song to sing, probably feels just as good maybe even better than when we do it

Ya it's great.
    At least you go to games and get what it's about. I've no problem with that.
    Better than me and the vast majority who would watch it at home in our jocks.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I really enjoy the completely oblivious nature with which Irish Liverpool fans sing the Allez Allez Allez song. "And we come from Liverpool"

Not oblivious, I'm a big fan of that song. Don't take it so literally.

We also sing the Bobby Firmino song "Give him the ball and he'll score everytime" spoiler alert: he doesn't

We sing "We're the best football team in the land" - we finished second

We sing "All you need is Rush" - if that's all we had we'd be relegated, lad is in his 50's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Games are on Friday's these days. I work Friday I can't go to everything mate. And even if I could I'm just not as connected to the club as I am with Liverpool.

I have Liverpool content coming at me from everywhere, really good quality stuff not just the games either.

How many live games have you been at?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

work hard and play hard is all :)
    You don't know what play hard is,if you can squeeze work in with it!!!:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Exactly. I'd rather be in these crowds than in a Dublin pub with Dublin Liverpool fans signing you will never walk alone.

It's this atmosphere is what they are missing out.

https://www.facebook.com/20869165701/posts/10161516141990702/ from the last rovers game where bohs won down in tallaght.

You can't beat the atmosphere and banter at live games, you have to be there. It's fantastic to bring kids to games as well, they get a better understanding of football, there's so much to take in, even just being able to see the whole pitch and movement of players off the ball.

Ever? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Honestly sounds like he has been at loads.

Ever? :confused:

Liverpool games. This season.

Liverpool games. This season.

Honestly sounds like he has been at loads.

If he wasn't working fridays, I get that, he could have been at more cabinteely games. And if and when they eventually get promotion or win the first division, that night and that feeling would be immense and better than watching the pool win any champions league pretending to have pride in it.

Out of how many home games? 25-30? Its hard to see how there's any attraction in that.

Out of how many home games? 25-30? Its hard to see how there's any attraction in that.

And thats across a season where they have had what? 60 games or so in total? Live football, nothing can beat it.

• Advertisement

If he wasn't working fridays, I get that, he could have been at more cabinteely games. And if and when they eventually get promotion or win the first division, that night and that feeling would be immense and better than watching the pool win any champions league pretending to have pride in it.

Or she!

It's virtually impossible to get Premier League tickets, but luckily they were pretty much all shown live on TV, I just can't get tickets for the league these days, demand is huge and I'm not on the ladder for those. If I could get them reliably I'd be going.

So I got to 1 league game (friend dropped out last minute and got his ticket) and 7 Champions League games (I'm on the ladder for those)

Live football, nothing can beat it.

Agree with this whole-heartedly!

Agree with this whole-heartedly!

Fair play. I'm not going to argue anymore, but it would be nice to have that on your doorstep no? The sense of community and pride in it etc. If you support cabinteely it's another step towards that happening. Good luck.

Fair play. I'm not going to argue anymore, but it would be nice to have that on your doorstep no?

It's also nice having regular trips away from the kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Are you genuinely having trouble reading or skipping words that don't suit you. Because its non league you can support both!!!
    Ah yes because a club plays in Croke park don't they? There's a game there every week isn't there?
    Again are you thick? Because there's hundreds of them so the support is more diluted and spread out than the 20 LOI clubs.
    The fact you even compare football to a tv show says everything about you as a "supporter"

Your rules are arbitrary nonsense. There's a difference.

Level doesn't matter remember? Sunday League. Doesn't matter a damn. All that matters is a local team for local people, 11 players on the pitch in the jersey of the community's club.
    Stadium, facilities, professional standards of play, excitement ... a real fan craves not such things.
    You can't support Bohemians if you are from Glasnevin, because ... Tolka Rovers. You're not supporting your local team. How could you support two local teams? Makes no sense.

By your rules there's a tiny tiny tiny number of real LOI fans. If you're not in walking distance to the ground then you are probably not a real fan.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »

Level doesn't matter remember? Sunday League. Doesn't matter a damn. All that matters is a local team for local people.
    Stadium, facilities, professional standards of play, excitement ... a real fan craves not such things.
    You can't support Bohemians if you are from Glasnevin, because ... Tolka Rovers. You're not supporting your local team. How could you support two local teams? Makes no sense.

By your rules there's a tiny tiny tiny number of real LOI fans. If you're not in walking distance to the ground then you are probably not a real fan.

This sort of facetiousness is the worst kind of excuse making.

By supporting Bohs you are contributing to Irish football, contributing to facilities, contributing to the concept of there one day being a full-time league in this country to produce competent internationals instead of relying on England to do it for us.

By supporting Tolka Rovers you are again supporting one layer below, to feed well-coached competent young footballers into the senior level.
    (1) They're not mutually exclusive,
    (2) Junior football in this country is actually extraordinarily well supported and reasonably well-run
    (3)it's much easier to point out the financial gap between a trip to England and the effect that cash could have on LOI football than it is to point out some bizarre gap between supporting an LOI team and a junior level team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

odyssey06 wrote: »

Level doesn't matter remember? Sunday League. Doesn't matter a damn. All that matters is a local team for local people, 11 players on the pitch in the jersey of the community's club.

Is there something about the word both you don't understand?

Supporting a Sunday league and a LOI team are the equivalent of supporting a club and a national team, or a rugby club and a province.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

By supporting Bohs you are contributing to Irish football, contributing to facilities, contributing to the concept of there one day being a full-time league in this country to produce competent internationals instead of relying on England to do it for us.

Bohs tick me off, bunch of pork pie hat wearing hipsters. Murals of patron saints of dope / smack aren’t very sporting either of all the legends that played there they choose those two

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Bohs tick me off, bunch of pork pie hat wearing hipsters. Murals of patron saints of dope / smack aren’t very sporting either of all the legends that played there they choose those two

It's an example. What relevance is this?

Advertisement