Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subform consolidation and closure

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Where did I suggest banning people for an opinion?? :confused:

Im talking about taking a stricter view of things that are clearly not discussion. Deliberate attempts to wind up, insults, accusations that others are "bots" etc... basically all the stuff that takes the debate off into trench warfare territory.

Threads on NI typically don't fall into the trench warfare mindset - they begin there. Its not as if someone opens a topic on British collusion with loyalist terrorist groups for a broad, interesting debate and exchange of ideas and examination of evidence. They're begun to open up a new front in the trench warfare to exchange the same windups, insults, accusations that others are "bots" etc.

That's fine, but in my opinion the NI forum was useful in that it created a "Thunderdome" arena for it. It also protected the involved posters by giving scope for a separate charter that allowed for the more bitter clashes between posters on those topics. If you're going to merge the NI threads back into the wider politics forum one of two things are going to happen: the "trench warfare" of the NI threads will set the tone for the rest of the forum, or the posters most interested in discussing NI topics will pick up a lot of bans and cards, feeding a persecution complex that is already rampant.

Though with the Politics Cafe now existing, its possible that the trench warfare will simply move to that arena instead, if it hasn't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I've just asked for one. When I hear, I'll pass it on here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's been 2 weeks since I last posted but I just wanted to let everyone know that while there has been no news on this, we will update this thread as soon as we receive any.

Ta,
    ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Sand wrote: »
    Threads on NI typically don't fall into the trench warfare mindset - they begin there. Its not as if someone opens a topic on British collusion with loyalist terrorist groups for a broad, interesting debate and exchange of ideas and examination of evidence. They're begun to open up a new front in the trench warfare to exchange the same windups, insults, accusations that others are "bots" etc.

That's fine, but in my opinion the NI forum was useful in that it created a "Thunderdome" arena for it. It also protected the involved posters by giving scope for a separate charter that allowed for the more bitter clashes between posters on those topics. If you're going to merge the NI threads back into the wider politics forum one of two things are going to happen: the "trench warfare" of the NI threads will set the tone for the rest of the forum, or the posters most interested in discussing NI topics will pick up a lot of bans and cards, feeding a persecution complex that is already rampant.

Though with the Politics Cafe now existing, its possible that the trench warfare will simply move to that arena instead, if it hasn't already.

The cafe is a disaster because of a handful of posters who have no desire to debate or discuss and are simply there to hurl insults. That's why discussion on the north (which generally encompasses all-Ireland issues, there are very few northern only issues) should be brought back into the main politics thread, where it can be properly moderated.

The "thunderdome" idea is bullshit. Moderate a thread properly to stop it from descending into that nonsense. If there's a topic you have no interest in simply dont click on it. I dont see how it's going to contaminate the rest of the forum.

The northern sub forum is wrong for two reasons. Firstly, it makes no sense as it is comprised mainly of all-Ireland issues.
    Secondly, the entire vibe of it is "piss off nordie scum, this forum is for real politics." I mean if youre concerned about people developing a persecution complex there's your number one cause there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

As folk will have noticed the descriptions of each of the Politics forums have been updated.
    We intend all going well to roll out the new Politics forum tomorrow with tagging.

Please note - if successful - if you are following Politics (General) or any of the Sub-Fora you will need to add a FOLLOW to the new forum once it's released.
    Not all threads will be moved over, just the current active ones as they have to be re-tagged. But please do work with your mod team here if there is a thread you need and they will do all they can to help you out.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Forum move/merge has completed.
    Any issues please contact your mod team or report the post in question.

Thanks all.

URL for New Politics is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1728
    Please remember to update your FOLLOW / alerts

Advertisement