Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canvassing against FF.

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I want to get out in my area and canvass against FF. Would this be ok I wonder. I dont have any connections to any political parties or independants.

If ok, FF has done so much damage. What kind of info could I provide on an a5 sized page. Seems as if I would need a library on my back to do so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eoinoleary

woudnt know about the legal side of things but id imagine they couldnt do much to stop you isnt this ment to be a democracy after all???i think ''witholding their democratic right of a by election from the people of donegal'' would be a nice start on your leaflet...really pissed me off...and im from munster like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think it's a waste of time really. People who are still willing to vote FF after everything they have done won't be convinced otherwise by some anti-FFer knocking on there door.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I'm sure you have every right to do that, nobody could stop you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

It's a democracy we live in, and people can put there opinion out there should they feel the need. It would be different alright from a householder's point of view to see just one person standing at the door without all the party paraphernelia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

It's a bit pointless doing it ,if thats all labour and the leftovers alliance are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

There's no law against it and you are perfectly entitled to do it but you run the risk of looking like a crank by doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I want to get out in my area and canvass against FF. Would this be ok I wonder. I dont have any connections to any political parties or independants.

If ok, FF has done so much damage. What kind of info could I provide on an a5 sized page. Seems as if I would need a library on my back to do so.

Do what I'm going to do and wait until the FF canvassers arrive, and then follow them to every house so that you're arriving right behind them and their lies and spin don't get a chance to sink in.

That said, I do think it's a waste, as the only people who would entertain FF at this stage are the die-hards; you could well be preaching to the 86% converted.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Do what I'm going to do and wait until the FF canvassers arrive, and then follow them to every house so that you're arriving right behind them and their lies and spin don't get a chance to sink in.

That said, I do think it's a waste, as the only people who would entertain FF at this stage are the die-hards; you could well be preaching to the 86% converted.

So they don't have a democratic right to canvass without being harassed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Baralis1 wrote: »

Rights? They should be locked up for economic treason. Nevermind rights.

Who's harassing them ? I'm simply approaching the householder 2 mins later to state my case.

If they're allowed to do that, then so am I.

• Advertisement

Jim236 wrote: »
    Rights? They should be locked up for economic treason. Nevermind rights.

I'm of the opinion that the economic crisis should be looked on logically while weighing up the facts. Its true the government made mistakes and deserve a term in opposition. Fourteen years is too long in power anyway. But economic treason, please, that sounds like a tabloid headline. I didn't hear Enda Kenny standing up in between 2002 and 2007 demanding the banks be more closely regulated or warning of a property boom.

Who's harassing them ? I'm simply approaching the householder 2 mins later to state my case.

If they're allowed to do that, then so am I.

They're not following you, you're following them. Therefore you are not comparing like with like. And it is harassment if you are following them around. Plus you must doubt the validity of your arguments if you feel people may vote FF without you arriving 2 mins later to persuade them otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You can do it OP, nobody stopping you from knocking on doors

But get that list together and be coherent, no point ranting on different topics on somebody's doorstep. I'm not saying you ever meant to do this.

Have your lists and examples ready.

You are going to be asked who you represent so and when you say nobody but I'm against some local candidates, you'll be getting a followup question

Just think of your answers to the questions. Most people will ask the same few questions, fairly predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zoeczk

how about a slice of cheese!! that was their solution http://www.mrlukeabbott.com/page/3/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Your a good man, I love this idea, Still no FF canvassers on the terrace, Im sure they remember what happened here during the Local Elections..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I didn't hear Enda Kenny standing up in between 2002 and 2007 demanding the banks be more closely regulated or warning of a property boom.
    I don't think anyone other than the Fianna Failure inner circle was aware that the banks were essentially unregulated and creating a huge debt time-bomb. It was FF's job to appoint and monitor the regulator. They appointed a clown and let him do nothing. I don't think anyone outside FFailure can be blamed for that colossal failure.

You can do it OP, nobody stopping you from knocking on doors

But get that list together and be coherent, no point ranting on different topics on somebody's doorstep. I'm not saying you ever meant to do this.

Have your lists and examples ready.

You are going to be asked who you represent so and when you say nobody but I'm against some local candidates, you'll be getting a followup question

Just think of your answers to the questions. Most people will ask the same few questions, fairly predictable

Its a very negative attitude to go out door to door to say I represent nobody but I'm against some local candidates. Why don't you pick the candidate that you want to see get a seat and go out and canvass for them. Turn your energy into something positive. If you go out and ask people not to vote Fianna Fail but offer no alternative, people may well believe there is no alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Its a very negative attitude to go out door to door to say I represent nobody but I'm against some local candidates. Why don't you pick the candidate that you want to see get a seat and go out and canvass for them. Turn your energy into something positive. If you go out and ask people not to vote Fianna Fail but offer no alternative, people may well believe there is no alternative.

I'd agree, negative tactics just turn me off. And others too I suppose

I would be more impressed OP if you showed up on my doorstep and were enthusiastic about a candidate you believed in. If you don't believe in your candidate then you're not going to represent them well
    Or it's too late now but if you ran yourself

Tell me what you believe in, not what you oppose :)

I don't think anyone other than the Fianna Failure inner circle was aware that the banks were essentially unregulated and creating a huge debt time-bomb. It was FF's job to appoint and monitor the regulator. They appointed a clown and let him do nothing. I don't think anyone outside FFailure can be blamed for that colossal failure.

I don't think that any members of the government knew much more than anyone else. The majority of the facts were there for us all to see and the vast majority of us failed to see or recognise them, or ignored them because we were in the middle of our much adored Celtic Tiger boom. The 100% loans and rapidly expanding property developments etc were not exactly a secret.

They're not following you, you're following them. Therefore you are not comparing like with like. And it is harassment if you are following them around.

No, I'm just canvassing for integrity and honesty and competence. I was planning on doing it anyway, but FF arriving on my doorstep reminded me to get my ass in gear.
    Plus you must doubt the validity of your arguments if you feel people may vote FF without you arriving 2 mins later to persuade them otherwise.

As I said, it was something I considered but anyone who can't see the truth about FF at this stage isn't going to be swayed.

• Advertisement

No, I'm just canvassing for integrity and honesty and competence. I was planning on doing it anyway, but FF arriving on my doorstep reminded me to get my ass in gear.

As I said, it was something I considered but anyone who can't see the truth about FF at this stage isn't going to be swayed.

This is different from what you said in your earlier post. Canvassing is fine, a little pointless if you are not recomending a candidate but perfectly fine. Following canvassers around a housing estate to doorstop people they've spoken to 2 mins after they have left is harassment, and infringes their democratic right to canvass.

As for your second point, there are still lots of people who can be swayed yet. For example, there are a certain group of voters who want FF out of government, but don't want Enda Kenny as Taoiseach and disagree with Labour's policies and Sinn Feins past. They could swing either way.

This is different from what you said in your earlier post. Canvassing is fine, a little pointless if you are not recomending a candidate but perfectly fine. Following canvassers around a housing estate to doorstop people they've spoken to 2 mins after they have left is harassment, and infringes their democratic right to canvass.

I said I would canvass the houses immediately after them.
    As for your second point, there are still lots of people who can be swayed yet. For example, there are a certain group of voters who want FF out of government, but don't want Enda Kenny as Taoiseach and disagree with Labour's policies and Sinn Feins past. They could swing either way.

If they truly "want FF out of government", then they can't swing that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

So therefore based on that calculation of 86% dont want FF then the following is true as per the Red C poll ?

FG 65% of voters dont want them

Labour 79% of Voters dont want them

SF 86% of voters dont want them

Greens 96% of voters dont want them

Indo's 88% of the voters dont want them

I have never seen an opinion poll recorded that way but its interesting if not somewhat extremely negative.

charlemont wrote: »
    Your a good man, I love this idea, Still no FF canvassers on the terrace, Im sure they remember what happened here during the Local Elections..

I strongly recomend you do it. Its not breaking the law and could be highly entertaining.

Incorrect.

There is no Government interference allowed with the bank regulator. He must be independent of any interference or influence from Government.

Not the best set up but thats the fact. All Government can do is seek advise and information. If the Reg decides to tell lies to the DOF then it is quite difficult to verify that information.

But hey let not the truth destroy a good story

I believe this is your post. Canvassing every house they go to immediately after they leave to doorstop people into not taking on board what they said is harassment to me. Its harassment of the people also. They have a right to be given time to make up their own mind and consider what the canvassers said.

I believe this is your post. Canvassing every house they go to immediately after they leave to doorstop people into not taking on board what they said is harassment to me. Its harassment of the people also. They have a right to be given time to make up their own mind and consider what the canvassers said.

You earlier claimed I was harassing the canvassers, despite me saying I'd arrive after them.

Anyway, as I said, if anyone believes FF's lies or thinks they're remotely competent at this stage they're not going to see sense, so it's a moot point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

Smiled when I saw this and the replies to it.

In 2007 75% of the electorate did not vote FF

In the actual vote 58% did not vote FF

Polls say these figures will increase come the election

What is particulary stupid about the ABFF today is that they think ABFF disturbed mentality is something new

Difficult task for the ABFF, subtract 1926 from 2011 and that will tell you how long ABFF hatred has been around

I smile as I say the ABFF have lost the last 6 elections in a row and even now they are scared stiff they will blow it again !

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭selfobsessed

You obviously have nothing else better to do hence your username.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Be very careful with 'negative canvassing'. Some people will be receptive to it but you're equally likely to have the opposite effect and start to convince people that there's a witch hunt against them. I've seen it backfire in campaigns before.

Advertisement