Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options
  • 10-08-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Yes, discovered this little doosey a few days ago :D
    Here's what I used:
    My Sky HD box
    My genuine Sky sub card
    A White UK FTV card [link deleted - ICDG]

Here's how I did it:
    Plugged out my Sky HD box, inserted the FTV card, plugged it back in and switched it on.
    Changed channel to 105 (Channel 5) and switched off box.
    Put back in my normal Sky sub card switched it on and viola Channel 5 and BBC One HD on the EPG!

Weirdly 3e and Channel 5 are both on channel number 105 and also BBC HD and BBC One HD are on 143.

All the Sky+ pause, rewind record functions work as normal, haven't tried Series link yet.

Discovered this trick 2 days ago and has worked ever since, channels seem to remain until the box is plugged out, will do a bit more testing including series link. Could be a great find for those looking to record the new BB :cool:

Additional note:
    It turns out that if you have the correct regional variations of ITV, ITV 2 etc stored in other channels (that match your FTV card) then these will also be added. I now have all the ITV's including ITV HD :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

gtg60 wrote: »
    Yes, discovered this little doosey a few days ago :D
    Here's what I used:
    My Sky HD box
    My genuine Sky sub card
    A White UK FTV card [link deleted])

Here's how I did it:
    Plugged out my Sky HD box, inserted the FTV card, plugged it back in and switched it on.
    Changed channel to 105 (Channel 5) and switched off box.
    Put back in my normal Sky sub card switched it on and viola Channel 5 and BBC One HD on the EPG!

Weirdly 3e and Channel 5 are both on channel number 105 and also BBC HD and BBC One HD are on 143.

All the Sky+ pause, rewind record functions work as normal, haven't tried Series link yet.

Discovered this trick 2 days ago and has worked ever since, channels seem to remain until the box is plugged out, will do a bit more testing including series link. Could be a great find for those looking to record the new BB :cool:

I discovered this recently too. I've noticed that it relates to free-to-air channels that you have stored in 'other channels'. I insert the FreeToView card, put it on 973 (BBC1 NI), remove the card, put in my Irish card which switches channel number to 141 (BBC1 NI again) and hey presto all the free to air channels (that you have on 'Other Channels') are there on the epg along with all the Irish card enabled channels, both TV & radio. Red button services work; series link works; Channel 4 programmes ( C4 on 104 & C4+1 on 135) are not blocked, all the BBC radio channels are here as well as ITV, etc. The only difference is that to watch a programme you have recorded on one of the 'extra' channels you have to enter your pin to watch. I have a London region FTV card, so some channel numbers double up, ie: 101 is BBC 1 London and there is a second 101 with RTE1, etc :cool::cool: Don't unplug the box or you have to go through the whole saga again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Ah, interesting, good find though must experiment with 'Other Channels' too.

Ah, interesting, good find though must experiment with 'Other Channels' too.

I don't get Channel 5 on the epg though .. it's not a FTA channel on Sky .. FTV card required to view it .. interesting that you get it !!

Just checked and I have nothing in my 'Other Channels' list. There is an FTA Channel 5 available, check in the stickies.

Just checked and I have nothing in my 'Other Channels' list. There is an FTA Channel 5 available, check in the stickies.

I know there is .. anyway your box is obviously behaving differently to mine. I've checked a few Sky+ HD boxes .. they all behave as per my post above ;)

• Advertisement

Possible it's my FTV card region, can't check it right now but will in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bsj

I discovered this a couple of weeks back too, I get UTV and Channel 5 on EPG, wish I could get BBC1 HD, have 103 tv3 and 103 utv, also get itv3 on 119.

Jay-sus lads would ye's not have mentioned it earlier :rolleyes:

My FTV card is BBC South West / ITV West country, this gives me Channel 5 (105) and BBC One HD (143) but nothing else (that I can find).

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

bsj wrote: »
    ....have 103 tv3 and 103 utv......
    How does that work, what station tunes in when you press 103.

All the above sounds interesting. I have an old "blue Freesat from Sky card". Will try it with that tonight.

How does that work, what station tunes in when you press 103.

All the above sounds interesting. I have an old "blue Freesat from Sky card". Will try it with that tonight.

When i enter 103 , utv comes up, I have an old blue Northern Ireland sky card.

My sky hd box no longer reverts to the uk peg if the viewing card is removed, and I can no longer view BBC1HD through other channels. The blue card brings up all the UK free to view channels, including BBC1HD, Channel 4HD, but not Channel 5 HD, but does show ordinary channel 5.

One day when i switched the cards around UTV and Channel 5 stuck!!

• Advertisement

Tried this with an old Blue card, only BBC One HD stayed, seems to vary based on cards original region.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Just a question, do you actaully need an FTV card for this? I remember when I first inserted my viewing card, BBC one HD and BBC HD were both on 143 I think. Don't remember any other channels staying though.

christo82 wrote: »
    Just a question, do you actaully need an FTV card for this? I remember when I first inserted my viewing card, BBC one HD and BBC HD were both on 143 I think. Don't remember any other channels staying though.

You will need a FTV card .. because if you re-boot your box you will only get the Irish card enabled channels.

You will need a FTV card .. because if you re-boot your box you will only get the Irish card enabled channels.

Okay, thats a pity. By re-boot, do you mean unplug rather than just turn off? Is it possible to remove the Irish card, turn the box into the FTA Uk box and then put the card back in and get the irish channels back, or would the card need to be reactivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Interesting but do you have to take cards out all the time you want to record, it seems to me you'd be better off with Freesat.

200motels wrote: »
    Interesting but do you have to take cards out all the time you want to record, it seems to me you'd be better off with Freesat.

No, you record everything via the Irish card.

No, you record everything via the Irish card.
    That's even more interesting.

I just died this on my neighbours hd box and couldn't get it to work, then it dawned on me that she didn't have any channels in other channels. Put UTV, Channel 5, ITV2, ITV3 into other channels and low and behold she now has all these on her EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

lads this sounds very good, can the cards be still ordered from Ireland, does anyone no?

Anyone have an FTV card that I could borrow? Ordering my own card seems a bit tricky.

• Advertisement

I tryed this with an old blue free to air card and it worked. Superb find and let's hope Sky doesn't stop it some way.

I tryed it on our other HD box a Thomson one and it didn't work. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I don't get Channel 5 on the epg though .. it's not a FTA channel on Sky .. FTV card required to view it .. interesting that you get it !!

Do you have a London region ftv card ? The London version of Channel 5 is still encrypted. I have just done as instructed in the posts above and can merge all UK channels into my Irish EPG, except Channel 5, despite having the fta version of it in my "other channels", but my ftv card is a London one and I can only assume it won't import Channel 5, because it's looking at the encrypted one. As someone said in previous posts, this "merging" of the two epgs, only works for fta UK channels, that are stored in other channels. I can't import BBC1 HD or Channel4 HD, even though they are fta, because I didn't have them stored in "other channels" and can't store them now, because they are DVB S2 and can't be added manually to a Sky box. That said, I'm delighted to have 101 BBC1, 101 RTE1, 102 BBC2, 102 RTE 2 etc. And as previously said, despite duplicating of channel numbers, all recordings, series link etc works fine. I deliberately set the box to record 101 (BBC1) and 101( RTE1) at the same time and it worked, no problem. We're probably shooting ourselves in the foot here, with all this publicity, how long before Sky send some sort of "signal" to nobble this quirk in their system ?

I have a old blue card from Newcastle and your right Sky could noble this, I don't have channel 5 which I'm not bothered with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Got UTV on 103, Channel 5 on 105 and ITV2 on 118.
    3 extra channels to record for nothing.
    Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

johntommy wrote: »
    Got UTV on 103, Channel 5 on 105 and ITV2 on 118.
    3 extra channels to record for nothing.
    Thanks a lot

Out of curiosity, did you use a ftv card and what UK region is it belonging to ?

200motels wrote: »
    I tryed it on our other HD box a Thomson one and it didn't work. Strange.

Make sure you have the channels added into other channels, it won't work otherwise. I tried it about 10 times on a sky hd box earlier, same make as mine and couldn't get it to work, as soon as I added utv etc into other channels, it worked first time.
    Maybe it only works on Amstrad boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just tried it, and it works (up to a point). I have a NI FTV card and I do get UTV on 103 as well as TV3 and 5 on 105 along with 3e. However, I don't get Ch4 HD on 140 or BBC1 HD on 143 (which I would get if I unplugged the box and inserted the FTV card.

Just to confirm, this can't be done by returning the box to an FTA UK EPG, then putting the Irish card back in? thx

• Advertisement

christo82 wrote: »
    Just to confirm, this can't be done by returning the box to an FTA UK EPG, then putting the Irish card back in? thx

On a Sky+ HD box you need a FTV card to get back to a UK epg.

Advertisement