Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Pulsar VZR

• 22-06-2008 10:06pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my savings for a new car has started and roughly will be spending 7000-8000e. Two cars pop into my head straight away, a Nissan Pulsar VZR 1.6 and a Honda Civic Type R.

Im wondering what would be better? In terms of performance and reliability.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Honda Civic Type R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the pulsar has been using the same engine for 15 years, would take it over the civic any day as all it is is a hatchback with up-rated cams, tuned ecu and crankshaft.... parts are around... a sport model sunny can be bought for as little as 200 quid and the engine is worth that alone....
    e too common and well...

civics are all too common place, therethe idiots way out.... kinda like a blaggers kinda car where you have an ok amount of power, Heeps of understeer and zero torque....

VSR all the way though the earlier uglier GTI-R has more power.... there very expencive to insure....

try to get the vsr in the rare blue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Get the Civic Type R.

and S.I.R, that might be true for a standard 1.4 civic, it is NOT true for a type R, no way.
    Have you ever drove one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mate of mine has a pulsar @ ~200 bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

ek9 type r are a lovely car to drive imo and have driven one with 200+ brake..serious power

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Really mixed reviews dammit lol!

around where I live theirs a few ek9 Type R's and they are beasts. theirs 4-5 of them. They are brilliant cars no doubt, I havent yet seen a pulsar in person nor driven one so its kinda one sided that way.

Tho isnt the engine in the Pulsar compared to a vtech. Like Nissans take on it?

Another car I might consider is a Nissan Almera 2L GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Take Sir's advice with a bucket of salt there.......

Theres no comparision between and EK9 and vzr pulsar,possible a vzr N1 but for just a vzr or even a gti almera the EK9 is a winner in every department,there in 2 different leagues with the EK9 miles ahead!

The easiest way for you to decide is to drive both, or all 3,if you can insure the civic go for it

theres a white pulsar vzr out in jap cars beside kart city, full of cowboys but you will get to see what their like. they had one there last week anyways.

im in the market for a new car myself and its between an ek9, 180sx, silvia or evo 4.

the ek9's vtech is almost as nice as my euro r's, thats why its up there with the tubos ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Really mixed reviews dammit lol!

around where I live theirs a few ek9 Type R's and they are beasts. theirs 4-5 of them. They are brilliant cars no doubt, I havent yet seen a pulsar in person nor driven one so its kinda one sided that way.

Tho isnt the engine in the Pulsar compared to a vtech. Like Nissans take on it?

Another car I might consider is a Nissan Almera 2L GTI.

The Vzr has a two stage cam profile unlike the Ek9 where it has one hard sharp kick and away it goes the Vzr gradually ups the power at the two different stages so its more progressive than VTEC.

The reason the Ek9 is more popular over the Vzr is because its simply in a different league, it handles better, has more power, looks way better, theres alot more performance parts available, its just all round a much better than the Vzr.

You'd have to look at a Vzr N1 which is extremely rare to give it a chance against a Ek9.

I'd go for the Ek9 myself if you can live with them being so common, Have you thought about any of the mitsubishi mivecs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rALLy

I own a VZR, the blue top engine. There quick and handle well, not too many of them about so thats a plus. I have the 5 door Autech model with the Momo steering wheel etc...

There aint a lot of performance parts out there compared to Civics but the likes of Couture Auto stock decats and full exhaust systems and the suspension and brakes are the same as the Almera GTI so there are plenty of performance parts in that area.

• Advertisement

Have a look at this: http://www.icetronix.com/index.aspx?page=video

There's a video there of a Civic vs. a New Model BMW M5!
    The Civic even passes the M5!

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Thats a highly tuned car with a K20 engine transplant though, no comparison to a normal civic

draffodx wrote: »
    The Vzr has a two stage cam profile unlike the Ek9 where it has one hard sharp kick and away it goes the Vzr gradually ups the power at the two different stages so its more progressive than VTECH.

The reason the Ek9 is more popular over the Vzr is because its simply in a different league, it handles better, has more power, looks way better, theres alot more performance parts available, its just all round a much better than the Vzr.

You'd have to look at a Vzr N1 which is extremely rare to give it a chance against a Ek9.

I'd go for the Ek9 myself if you can live with them being so common, Have you thought about any of the mitsubishi mivecs??

Well I dont really care about how common once its better.

The only Mitsubishi I would be interested in would be an Fto. But I will see how much they would go for.

I'd say I will go for a civic from the way things are looking.

Looking at a few type R's tho,

What does "Spoon" mean? and whats the difference between a Sir and ek9?

"Spoon" relates to "SpoonSports" who supply top quality performance aftermarket parts for Honda's

SiR's are Civic's with the 1.6 DOHC Vtec Non-Type-r engines. EK9 is the Honda model name for the 96-00 Civic Type-R.

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8T9KFgjWc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Get the Civic Type R.

and S.I.R, that might be true for a standard 1.4 civic, it is NOT true for a type R, no way.
    Have you ever drove one?

driven both eg ( sir with the ek4 engine conversion ) right upto the 06 conversion... extremely underpowered.

note to self - never corner in a civic....

also draffodx, unlike you Ricers, its not Vtech or vtek or vtex, its vtec... i understand its difficult to remember 4 little letters but heres the start of recovering from the buzz you get by talking about the most over rated car ever made.

on another note:

if you still need more performance, a CA10 engine can be sourced easy in ireland.... suits low end tourqe but there great engines...

unlike the honda engines... with the " off the power.... still off the power " engines.

We all know they dont have bags of low-down torque, but you cannot deny their mass market appeal, tunabilty, cost and the fact that they produce the highest BHP figure for n/a cars! An economical car that is as happy driving to work as on the track..

Anyhow, the OP had made his choice, EK9 it is, right the Civic has a bit of a scanger image, but a nice clean standard looking CTR will set it apart from the rest.

Personally I will stick with the DC5 Integra, and possibly switch for a CL7 Accord Euro-R.

** Is'nt "Ricer" an American term usually banded around by guys driving 8 litre Mustangs??

S.I.R wrote: »
    also draffodx, unlike you Ricers, .

I take that as a personal insult, what you describe as a "ricer" is the complete opposite to me and you are baseing it solely on my choice of car, I dont mind you giving your opinion on cars but stereotyping someone because of there choice of car is such a typical irish thing, fair enough if its not good enough for you but other people are allowed to have there opinions too and there far from stereotypical "ricers" just because they do.

its not Vtech or vtek or vtex, its vtec... i understand its difficult to remember 4 little letters but heres the start of recovering from the buzz you get by talking about the most over rated car ever made.

Thats the first time I've misspelt it, I'm well aware its VTEC and if you want to go fully correct on it, its all in capital letters so vtec is technically incorrect.
    Again your being derogatory towards someone because of there choice of car

unlike the honda engines... with the " off the power.... still off the power " engines.

As has been stated the whole aim of Honda's Type R range was to provide a car than be driven daily but also be fun to drive with some power, there not designed for all out power, they sacrifice torque to do this, you have a normal 130bhp car under 5800 rpm and you have a 190bhp car over 5800rpm when you want to use it.

Your only "off the power" as you put it when you want to be, anyone with experience driving a VTEC will have no trouble keeping it in the high power band width.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Warning for S.I.R. ...lay off the sterotypes

Im gonna go up to dublin this week and test drive a pulsar and type R. Just to make sure Im making the right choice.

are Japcars nice guys when it comes to a test drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Im gonna go up to dublin this week and test drive a pulsar and type R. Just to make sure Im making the right choice.

I personally would be hunting these cars privately rather than through an importer. The market being the way it is you will probably save quite a bit.

Best of luck. Iv driven both cars in close to factory state. (larger wheels + induction kits). VZR had grooved disks and uprated pads.

I have to say i prefer the VZR on the grounds that it was far easier to live with day to day as when de-bagged it drew no attention.:D
    With the badge on the other hand it drew plenty and i had a hyundai coupe:confused: and civics driving up my ass all the time.:(

The Civic on the other hand was a white Type-R. It had a slight handling advantage. Breaking was fantastic on The VZR but this was due to modification.
    My complaint on the Civic was i never got through a checkpoint without being stopped and it was a regular occurrence to have people driving up my arse looking to race.

As for the SIR with transplant being a type-r. Thats just untrue. An SIR is a base model. You cant just swap the engines put some stickers on and call it shurley.

The Type-r had weight reduction a different gearbox and (depending on generation) stiffer chassis, better brakes.

• Advertisement

Personally I will stick with the DC5 Integra, and possibly switch for a CL7 Accord Euro-R.

still tryin to shift my euro r off carzone ; )

nah theyre shams look at the other thread where everyone is talkin about them. chaps a joke

anyone drivin a dc2 teg?

i think im gonna knock the turbo cars on the head and either go for a ek9 or a dc2.

think atm the dc2 is the winner.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    still tryin to shift my euro r off carzone ; )

nah theyre shams look at the other thread where everyone is talkin about them. chaps a joke

anyone drivin a dc2 teg?

i think im gonna knock the turbo cars on the head and either go for a ek9 or a dc2.

think atm the dc2 is the winner.

Is it a CL7 or a CL1? Which ever it is, id keep both over the DC2!
    CL7's are a great way to have K20 in a "family saloon" car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

the civic has power nowhere near the m5, your man driving the m5 was scared he'd crash doing around the corner FACT look at it on the stright its destroys the civic, also that civic has had an engine conversion

the civic has power nowhere near the m5, your man driving the m5 was scared he'd crash doing around the corner FACT look at it on the stright its destroys the civic, also that civic has had an engine conversion

The whole point of that is to show the OP how the Civic can be tuned up, and how it performs against a 500BHP+ €100k+ Car...

The whole point of that is to show the OP how the Civic can be tuned up, and how it performs against a 500BHP+ €100k+ Car...

well then it doesnt do very well, also civics are made of plastics, bmw's arnt, you pay for what you get if your just after power get the new nissan skyline, you'll just waist your money on a civic and either die in an accident cause its a tin box or not get your money back cause well its a civic

well then it doesnt do very well, also civics are made of plastics, bmw's arnt, you pay for what you get if your just after power get the new nissan skyline, you'll just waist your money on a civic and either die in an accident cause its a tin box or not get your money back cause well its a civic

The OP did'nt ask about BMW's or Skyline's costing around €100k+, he's asked about Civic's, which is what he will buy... :p

And im sure any capable, careful driver would not loose his life! :eek:

havent a clue!!

Is it a CL7 or a CL1? Which ever it is, id keep both over the DC2!
    CL7's are a great way to have K20 in a "family saloon" car...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/Torneo-Euro/1091403/

nah its a 00 torneo euro r

copeyhagen wrote: »
    havent a clue!!

whats not to have a clue about? little skobies drive civics, and you dont compare a civic to a bmw, end of

• Advertisement

The OP did'nt ask about BMW's or Skyline's costing around €100k+, he's asked about Civic's, which is what he will buy... :p

And im sure any capable, careful driver would not loose his life! :eek:

by the way skyline is well under 100k! and no alot of people buy these cars and have an accident cause they cant handle the power

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement