Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein Shakes for women??

• 13-11-2007 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7 aminahb

Hi all,

I'm looking for a tasty protein shake for women.I've just started training again,and I used have Promax Diet which was alright.

I've tried a whey/spy protein shake which now makes me fell nauseous even thinking about it.

Does anyone know any protein shakes for women? I'm not looking to starve myself,or replace meals.But I AM looking to have protein after a workout,and twice during the day when the hunger pangs strike between meals.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

You don't really need a protein shake specifically for women. Any old whey from Nutrition X, ON or the likes will do the job perfectly.

If you are looking at one aimed specifically for women though I know that Nutrition X has rrecently released a product especially for women: http://www.pronutrition.ie/products.php?action=product&id=105

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

aminahb wrote: »
    Does anyone know any protein shakes for women? I'm not looking to starve myself,or replace meals.But I AM looking to have protein after a workout,and twice during the day when the hunger pangs strike between meals.

Slender-Pro from Nutrition X. It's a new whey protein designed specifically for women with whey protein concentrate, soya, waxy maize starch and green tea extract. Oh, and it's absolutely delicious!! :o I've just finished a tub of it and it's been really effective in helping me lose a bit of fat but retain lean mass. I take it between meals and post workout just as you described. Hyoooge thumbs up all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Ya there is no specific brand for women,just use any previously suggested!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

g'em wrote: »
    It's a new whey protein designed specifically for women
    Well specifically advertised for women, or is there something in there not suitable for men? I am thinking estrogen or something? label looks normal to me.

http://nutritionx.ie/Slender-Pro.html

I am sure it is a good product but is probably just as suited to men too, just smart marketing, sort of the reverse of how they rebranded pepsi max, coke zero, 7-up zero, so they had "macho" names, since many macho & homophobic type lads were scared of asking for "diet" drinks :rolleyes:

This might appeal to some women scared of turning into hulks like the usual lads on these products!

Also g'em, would you consider whey protein powders to be "dairy", i.e. I know they are dairy based, but would people who have adverse reactions to say milk have the same reactions to whey? say on a gram per gram protein basis. I have seen in other threads people saying dairy products made them sluggish etc, just wondering if whey would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Slender-Pro from Nutrition X. It's a new whey protein designed specifically for women with whey protein concentrate, soya, waxy maize starch and green tea extract. Oh, and it's absolutely delicious!! :o I've just finished a tub of it and it's been really effective in helping me lose a bit of fat but retain lean mass. I take it between meals and post workout just as you described. Hyoooge thumbs up all round.

Nice recommendation. I use protein shakes in the morning as the thought of solid food that early makes me feel a little nauseous. I'm not fussy and usually get the H&B brand.

• Advertisement

Which flavor is nicest also it says water or milk which would be nicer i don't want anything that would make me naseous

rubadub wrote: »
    Well specifically advertised for women, or is there something in there not suitable for men? I am thinking estrogen or something? label looks normal to me.
    the soy would certainly turn a lot of guys off - soy isoflavones have been linked with increased oestrogen levels in men, but conversely have shown evidence of protecting women from oestrogen-related disorders. However, this is something that I need to look into further myself and to the best of my knowledge no conclusive data has been put forward either way.

Otherwise, no, there's no reason at all why guys couldn't drink this.
    rubadub wrote:
    I am sure it is a good product but is probably just as suited to men too, just smart marketing, sort of the reverse of how they rebranded pepsi max, coke zero, 7-up zero, so they had "macho" names, since many macho & homophobic type lads were scared of asking for "diet" drinks :rolleyes:
    this is one time I'm quite happy to see gender targeting advertising - if it encourages more women to get quality protein into their bodies and can help them manage their weight safely and healthy then it's a hugely positive thing. Unlike food-replacement shakes this is a food supplemental shake.
    rubadub wrote:
    Also g'em, would you consider whey protein powders to be "dairy", i.e. I know they are dairy based, but would people who have adverse reactions to say milk have the same reactions to whey? say on a gram per gram protein basis. I have seen in other threads people saying dairy products made them sluggish etc, just wondering if whey would too.
    It would all depend on the lactose content of the whey. Some whey powders can be up to 75% lactose, others are very low in sugars. Slender Pro is 6g sugars per 100g although it doesn't give details as to the sugar source. My guess though would be it's dextrose/ glucose based because of the waxy maize starch content and not lactose based at all. If this is the case it would be a very easy shake for dairy intolerant people to drink.
    dudara wrote: »
    Nice recommendation. I use protein shakes in the morning as the thought of solid food that early makes me feel a little nauseous. I'm not fussy and usually get the H&B brand.
    A lot of people are similar. Could I also suggest adding milled flax seeds into the shake? You said in the N + D forum that you eat them anyway (didn't you? I'm not going senile already?!) and taking them in the shake helps to slow digestion and gets those good fats into you early in the day.

It might also be worth taking a look at the composition of the H & B whey - I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it per say, but the quality of whey used in supplements can vary dramatically. It's just the same as with wholefoods - some breads are better than others, some fruit sources are better than others. Or Green and Blacks chocolate versus Lidl own brand :D
    Which flavor is nicest also it says water or milk which would be nicer i don't want anything that would make me naseous
    I've been trying the chocolate - it's ridiculously creamy and seriously yum!! I'm *dying* to try the cookie one...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the soy would certainly turn a lot of guys off - soy isoflavones have been linked with increased oestrogen levels in men,
    Never heard that before today, I was reading your other post on the tofu. Think I get enough 0estrogen from my beer already!

It would all depend on the lactose content of the whey.
    I never knew it was mainly the lactose content that caused dairy intolerance. I am cutting down on my dairy at the moment, I have a slight skin complaint and am cutting it out to see if it helps. Will have to check my protein's lactose content. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

Where can you buy this product in Dublin???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

Where can you buy this product in Dublin???

I mean where can you buy Slender Pro

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I mean where can you buy Slender Pro

Malteaser! wrote: »
    You don't really need a protein shake specifically for women. Any old whey from Nutrition X, ON or the likes will do the job perfectly.

If you are looking at one aimed specifically for women though I know that Nutrition X has rrecently released a product especially for women: http://www.pronutrition.ie/products.php?action=product&id=105

A lot of people are similar. Could I also suggest adding milled flax seeds into the shake? You said in the N + D forum that you eat them anyway (didn't you? I'm not going senile already?!) and taking them in the shake helps to slow digestion and gets those good fats into you early in the day

Way ahead of you :D I find that mixing the seeds into the shake is the easiest way of eating them.
    It might also be worth taking a look at the composition of the H & B whey - I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it per say, but the quality of whey used in supplements can vary dramatically. It's just the same as with wholefoods - some breads are better than others, some fruit sources are better than others. Or Green and Blacks chocolate versus Lidl own brand :D

TBH I've never really compared the H&B composition to other brands. Here's a pdf of the label, I'd be interested in hearing from others what they think of it. Bear in mind that I'm only getting back into training right now.

what are you supposed to use water or milk (low fat i'm assuming)???
    tbh it tastes like lipotrim? i'm going to compare the two in ingredients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 scuba chick

you can also apparently buy slender pro in ben dunne gyms. I get mine in drogheda it is one of the cheapest around and is the only place I have found that sells the yummy chocolate mint flavour!!:D

does anybody know where i can get the malt cookie flavoured one, 'dying' to try it but have only been able to find the boring plian choc/vanilla/strawberry flavours on line (irish websites) and in dublin.

tbh it tastes like lipotrim? i'm going to compare the two in ingredients
    I can assure you the products are two entirely different things (yes I know the post is 4+ months old but still... :o)
    does anybody know where i can get the malt cookie flavoured one, 'dying' to try it but have only been able to find the boring plian choc/vanilla/strawberry flavours on line (irish websites) and in dublin.
    afaik some of the flavours are not yet released, but I'll try to find out more from the Nut X lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

I've been trying the chocolate - it's ridiculously creamy and seriously yum!! I'm *dying* to try the cookie one...

I would love to try another flavour im getting sick of the vanilla. How much water are you putting in gem ? Is is watery or thickish ? I usually have mine watery like water up to 200 on shake cup. Maybe I am putting to much water because there aint much taste ?

I only use a small amount of water so that it's quite creamy and pasty, and then I drink a lot of water afterwards.

I think I am using to much water and its quite tastless. Il try it with less water next time, cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I got the Slender Pro today - only ordered it on Friday! Are you supposed to drink a lot of water after it? Also, I think I read on a previous message that you can mix it in yoghurt - have you tried it this way? Thanks

SMK wrote: »
    I got the Slender Pro today - only ordered it on Friday! Are you supposed to drink a lot of water after it? Also, I think I read on a previous message that you can mix it in yoghurt - have you tried it this way? Thanks
    Water just aids digestion, you don't need to drink looooads of water with it though!

Yoghurt with it is fine too ;)

• Advertisement

I also mix mine quite thick because I add linseed to shake and if it's too thin, they all fall to the bottom.

SlenderPro is tasty stuff. I've gone through tubs of the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate mint. Like some of the other posters, I'd love to try some of the other flavours - here's hoping that they'll be out soon.

Ye last night and this morning I added less water and was nicer alright , although I think when this tub is gone Il try another flavour not really a choc drink fan so maybe strawberry ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I have strawberry, tbh in general its usually the flavour I prefer. I add linseed and some sesame seeds to min. I probably make it too thin but i tend to swirl it and drink, having it too thick in the morning is a bit heavy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 shoomshoom

I got Slender Pro last week, the choc mint flavour and I really don't like it.I take it with milk and it has a chalky taste to it and actually makes me feel quite sick.

Are any of the other flavours better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

shoomshoom wrote: »
    I got Slender Pro last week, the choc mint flavour and I really don't like it.I take it with milk and it has a chalky taste to it and actually makes me feel quite sick.

Are any of the other flavours better?

Have you tried it just with water? I used to mix whey with milk but found it didnt agree with my stomach. No problems since switiching to mixing it with water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 shoomshoom

ali.c wrote: »
    Have you tried it just with water? I used to mix whey with milk but found it didnt agree with my stomach. No problems since switiching to mixing it with water!

Yeah the first time I tried it, I mixed it with water and it really wasnt nice. I can taste the chocolate but no really the mint and it tastes kind of metally or chalky. :(

When I tried it with milk the next time, it wasn't that great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

hi all,
    just seen an advert in MOS with Amanda Brunker endorsing this product ,has any off ye any idea if its good or not?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Is that a Shake?
    Though it was another weight loss magic pill?

slender x cellerate? Never heard of that before

• Advertisement
Advertisement