Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC the bible is used as a backup if you don't have any ID, so instead they'll ask you to swear on a bible. At least that's the possible urban myth I'd be told but never looked into. Yes, there's obviously lots of followup questions with that answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They're always at elections and referendums, bizarrely you can swear on them that you are who you say you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

VinLieger wrote: »
    Completely incorrect, neither FF nor FG had a candidate they felt could compete viably with MDH that was worth spending 200k+ on a campaign.

SF saw it as a way to gauge their support nationally and to also make the case for them to be considered a viable and core party worthy of government, this to them was worth the expense, they never expected to win.

The conspiracy theories about "the establishment" rigging the election etc are really just childish

Completely incorrect...neither FF nor FG have the resources to fund a national campaign, they didn't even attempt to identify a viable candidate, it is a money issue, simple as that!

We have locals and European elections in less than a year, we will have a GE in 2020 and not before.

For argument's sake, who would either of them have run who could have had crossover appeal? For FF, you're perhaps looking at Donnelly and Lisa Chambers (at a stretch), Kenny could have run for FG, but still has hopes of replacing Donald Tusk next year, and Máiread McGuinness might have given Higgins a good contest, but would hardly have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

For argument's sake, who would either of them have run who could have had crossover appeal? For FF, you're perhaps looking at Donnelly and Lisa Chambers (at a stretch), Kenny could have run for FG, but still has hopes of replacing Donald Tusk next year, and Máiread McGuinness might have given Higgins a good contest, but would hardly have won.

FF were never going to run a candidate, they are in a worse financial state than FG, they flirted with Miriam O'Callaghan in the hope that Bertie wouldn't get notions, is my guess, for what it is worth.

FG got badly burnt in 2011, didn't they remortgage HQ to pay for Mitchells campaign and didn't get the required quota to claim back expenses.

We can get used to this kind of debacle every 7 years from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That turns logic on its head

I think you missed the sarcasm.

Hurrache wrote: »
    They're always at elections and referendums, bizarrely you can swear on them that you are who you say you are.

Or you can affirm without swearing on anything, but then everyone will know you're a big dirty atheist.

It's entirely ridiculous in this day and age that people may have to reveal their religion or lack thereof to a public official in order to be allowed vote, sit on a jury or give evidence in court.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

VinLieger wrote:
    Anyone suggesting abolishing it completely shows a serious naivety for the essential role it holds within the constitution as a safety valve

The main problem with the constitution is that it gives all power to the executive (the government).

The president plays no role in reducing this power as they are forced to sign all bills once they are constitutional.

The power to reject a call to dissolve the Dail can be overcome by introducing fixed termed parliaments.

So no, I don't believe we need a presidency in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

If the whole thing is irrelevant, why should SF bother running a candidate at all?

I didn't actually say that. I said that (paraphrasing to clarify!) I suspected whether Liadh Ni Riada comes second or fourth won't matter/ be a millstone around SF's neck by next Friday. This race will be remembered for the winner and having three flaming Dragons Den eejits, also-rans aren't likely to be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lisa would be a stretch, but moreso a wait, as she's only 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Let's say for argument sake Peter Casey was elected.

Does that pose any constitutional issue for the government given Varadkar openly criticised him? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I can't see how, there's no requirement in the Constitution that they should like or approve of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It sounds like hardly anyone has bothered voting.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm asking because in the past I believe a president/government got in trouble because a minister called the president a "thundering disgrace"

I'm asking because in the past I believe a president/government got in trouble because a minister called the president a "thundering disgrace"

That president was unhappy in the office and wanted a way out. He didn't need to resign.

But we would be in uncharted territory if Casey was an outspoken president!

Liadh vowed to be a confrontational president as well, with a promise to address the Dail 3 times a year!

The issue was that the Minister involved was the Minister for Defence and the President is the Head of the Army. The President asked the Taoiseach to back him and this was not forthcoming. This put him in an untenable position.

Water John wrote:
    The issue was that the Minister involved was the Minister for Defence and the President is the Head of the Army. The President asked the Taoiseach to back him and this was not forthcoming. This put him in an untenable position.

It just further shows how weak our presidency is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Minister was a chronic drunk with a deep disregard for the law and due process. He knew he ducked up but the then Taoiseach refused his resignation.

A man who was also iffy on law, his son was later done for corruption, Apple falls near the free.

Most of the power and work of the Presidency is, soft power. The post carries some key functions that are called upon on occasion.
    That doesn't negate the power. O'Dalaigh validated the office by resigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Let's say for argument sake Peter Casey was elected.

Does that pose any constitutional issue for the government given Varadkar openly criticised him? Anyone know?

Leo should be used to putting foot in mouth and dealing with the consequences of same.

It will be awkward but unless he said something similar while he is in office no constitutional crisis.

The whole thing about the presidency is that the government has the power to make it relevant or not, if they embrace the incumbent.

Then can just ignore it as easily and keep it low key.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Leo should be used to putting foot in mouth and dealing with the consequences of same.

It will be awkward but unless he said something similar while he is in office no constitutional crisis.

The whole thing about the presidency is that the government has the power to make it relevant or not, if they embrace the incumbent.

Then can just ignore it as easily and keep it low key.

No issue, there have been a few occasions where the president and the taoiseach were on opposite sides politically but they just got on with it.

• Advertisement

Areas with best turnout so far (according to RTE), include Bishopstown, Glanmire, Blarney, Killarney, Ballinasloe, Roscommon, Greystones, Drogheda and the Laois Stradbally. Best Dublin performers are Dublin Bay North, Blackrock and Terenure. Now 40% in Dublin Bay South, 26% in Cullmullen (Meath).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Paddy Donegan from Monasterbouce, Drogheda.
    He also fired a few shots to put Travellers who were camping on his land on the run. He was a FIne Gael TD.

Appears overall turnout will be below 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Appears overall turnout will be below 50%.

Would you wonder with the selection they had?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Allegedly the word used was a lot stronger than "thundering" but that's what got reported!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Allegedly the word used was a lot stronger than "thundering" but that's what got reported!

Ah don't be saying that! I love that phrase, use it all the time.

This is like telling me Armstrong didn't say 'One small step for mankind...etc but 'youse better be here when I get back from this fecking walk'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

There was only one reporter in the room when the remarks were made and he has consistently said, even as late as about 3 years ago, that the words reported were entirely accurate.

Donegan was a loose cannon, later tried for shooting into the air over a travelers' encampment. The Casey of his time ?

With minutes to go, fair to say the personal fear is rising!

BTW was everybody handed back their Polling Card, marked?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Higgins first count if true

Advertisement