Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will the next tax be.

• 01-05-2018 9:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

The sugar tax is in now. The min alcohol pricing coming. What other tax's do people see coming because sure as hell they will. Coffee cup and plastic tax are probably the two next one's.

And sure as hell the sugar tax won't be used to fight obesity. Not a chance. The same as the property tax. That is just used to pay something else off. See the bin charges are now including green bins. Like anything once they get them in they just go up.

This min alcohol pricing will start at a level on go up. And its starting at nearly two and a half times the Scotland level. It seems this govt are just hell bent on taking what little pleasures people have left and taxing them on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Plastic "disposable" cups piss me off no end and should be taxed out of existence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

What other tax's do people see coming because sure as hell they will.

The abortion tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Noemi Plain Guppy

Property tax to be expanded to new builds for sure anyway. Plug that hole they see coming. Some kind of motor tax reform is definitely on the way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sugar tax is a tax on poor people.loathsome idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Water tax, it hasn't gone away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Water tax, it hasn't gone away...
    We already pay 2 taxes that fund water:
    • Motor Tax
    • General Taxation

Should we introduce a third?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

The sugar tax is in now. The min alcohol pricing coming.

I lump these under the blanket "happiness tax", soon to include the orgasm tax, the after-work-5-a-side tax, the tax tax (where you pay tax on the tax you already paid) and of course the 2 euro for a hostel tax - where you pay the government 2 euro or be locked in a hostel.

Under His Majesty King Leo no fun is allowed unless you pay handsomely for the privilege or die. Each one is acceptable to our fabulous Monarch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Tax on buying second hand cars over 10k.

Similar to the VRT system where you pay a fee to transfer ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I lump these under the blanket "happiness tax", soon to include the orgasm tax, the after-work-5-a-side tax, the tax tax (where you pay tax on the tax you already paid) and of course the 2 euro for a hostel tax - where you pay the government 2 euro or be locked in a hostel.

Under His Majesty King Leo no fun is allowed unless you pay handsomely for the privilege or die. Each one is acceptable to our fabulous Monarch.
    I hate to break it to you but the tax tax (where you pay tax on the tax you already paid) has already been introduced, where you pay VAT on duty for fuel.
    Or if registering a new car you pay VAT on VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

He's not all bad - I hear he's set to slash the tax on novelty socks:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

ELM327 wrote: »
    We already pay 2 taxes that fund water:
    • Motor Tax
    • General Taxation

I'm paying for water 3 times so, private well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

ELM327 wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but the tax tax (where you pay tax on the tax you already paid) has already been introduced, where you pay VAT on duty for fuel.

If you take it that your wages are taxed, then the fuel itself is taxed, then the tax on the fuel is taxed, it works out roughly, that to purchase €50 worth of petrol you need to earn €200 - the government then takes €150 of it:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The sex tax.... everytime you have sex or masturbate you have to give up 5euro as a tax......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The sugar tax is in now. The min alcohol pricing coming. What other tax's do people see coming because sure as hell they will. Coffee cup and plastic tax are probably the two next one's.

I would like to see a Muppet Tax. A tax on all of the complete idiots out there.

The tax should be voluntary, so that only idiots pay it.

It should be disguised as a product that you don't need and it should be superficially attractive but essentially useless.

I am thinking along the lines of the lottery but that is already there so it has to be something new.

Any ideas?

I would like to see a Muppet Tax. A tax on all of the complete idiots out there.

It should be disguised as a product that you don't need and it should be superficially attractive but essentially useless.

I am thinking along the lines of the lottery but that is already there so it has to be something new.

Any ideas?

Soft drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Kimbot wrote: »
    The sex tax.... everytime you have sex or masturbate you have to give up 5euro as a tax......

A new recession is forthcumming.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Soft drinks.

Is that what you think whenever you see someone with a Fanta? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

ELM327 wrote:

They tried and will try again.

Is that what you think whenever you see someone with a Fanta? :D

I don't personally like soft drinks, they're full of sugar and give me shockin' wind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Can see an internet tax coming in .... Spend a lot of time on Netflix? You gotta pay the state for loss of income from TV licence

Or an anti-recession tax, for when we need to bail out the next generation of bankers / fund managers / developers / general-elite (delete as applicable)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

A tax on sulkys and illegally parked caravans and piebald ponies.

Enforced by confiscation and destruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Any ideas?

Turkeys wouldn't vote for Xmas, so I don't think politicians are going to tax themselves heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Can never figure out why the betting tax isn't higher, maybe they'll tackle that?

Junk food is an obvious one, chippers, McDonalds, that sort of thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Can see an internet tax coming in .... Spend a lot of time on Netflix? You gotta pay the state for loss of income from TV licence

Or an anti-recession tax, for when we need to bail out the next generation of bankers / fund managers / developers / general-elite (delete as applicable)

Isnt that what the broadcast lisence is going to sort out for them when they eventually bring it in, a tax on people having access to the internet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Of all the unfair taxes that are out there (and by unfair I mean getting absolutely nothing in return), the €30 per year for having a credit card is the worst.

Robbing Ba5tards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Vaping products...have to make up the shortfall on the sin tax on smokes

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Of all the unfair taxes that are out there (and by unfair I mean getting absolutely nothing in return), the €30 per year for having a credit card is the worst.

Robbing Ba5tards.

Doesn't piss me off as much as the tv licence. Not a tax but close enough.

Vaping products...have to make up the shortfall on the sin tax on smokes

Hell no, they can feck off and leave vaping alone. They already get their VAT from it and thats enough.

Battery tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

We could change the system and just have 1 tax bill for every adult. Everyone paying same amount to pay the bills. Where else does money for roads, electricity, sewage, nurses, doctors, police, army, airport staff, civil servants.... I'll stop here, the list goes on and on. Or we can have loads of tax bills, but either way the same amount of money is needed. You do realise the govt works for you, you employ these people (elections). With more taxes then only the people using the service will pay. So what's your gripe?

Advertisement