Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big Tom - off to the big gig in the sky

• 17-04-2018 8:45am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Big Tom - Irish Country Singer has died at 81

Not my cup of tea, but was quite popular nonetheless.

http://www.thejournal.ie/big-tom-death-3961868-Apr2018/

GN4_DAT_7128469.jpg--.jpg

Having seen some of his story on RTE (Stetsons I think), he appears to have led a great life in the music industry, and has a huge family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seen him on the late late show a while back, he looked pretty frail then, and unfortunately my initial thoughts turn have been proven right.

He lived a fairly long and successful life, seems to have been pretty much regarded as legendary by his peers in his particular music industry.

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

His music was mediocre. I only say him once though, back in the early nineties. He was playing on the back of a truck in Tobercurry.
    Lovely dude though, as was the rest of his band.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Absolute Gent. R.I.P.

Not my style of music, my mother was a big fan of him, she often met him working as a barmaid in the 1960's in London, didn't see him for over 30 years and he came up to her one day in Howth harbour and said he recognised her. Seemed to be a very decent skin by all accounts,.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

R.I.P. Big Tom

Wasn't a fan myself but my Mam is huge fan. Always upsetting when a music artist you like goes one step beyond but at least you still have the tunes.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What'll the Mainliners do now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A gentle giant by all accounts, will be remembered for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

He pulled a decent pint but I couldn't stand his music. A nice man to chat to in the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Remember my Dad playing this one in the house a lot when I was a kid and singing it to himself a lot to of course.

Which I hated, I won't lie.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Seen him on the late late show a while back, he looked pretty frail then, and unfortunately my initial thoughts turn have been proven right.

Well done on predicting an octogenarian would die soon. Got the lotto numbers there by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

A story I heard years ago that I would love it to be true is that when big Tom got one of his first gigs in New York.
    Tom and his band,the Mainliners were booked to play a huge gig in somewhere like the radio city music hall.
    "Mainlining" is a term for shooting up heroin so the place was jammed with people expecting to see a grateful dead type band,apparently there was a riot when a bunch of guys wearing pale blue suits walked out on stage and started singing "four roads to glenamaddy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Great voice and stage presence. Ruled the airwaves in the 70s country boom. He was the main man with the main liners.

RIP Big Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RIP Big Tom.

He was meant to have being a nice man.

I wonder will The Late Late Country music special go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

R.I.P.
    He's on that road to the churchyard where his mom and daddy lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Met him once. Giant of a man . He couldn't sing but apparently his music had great timing. Caught for tax evasion but generally loved. Could be the biggest funeral up north since Bobby sands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Four country roads was a bit of a sound track on our local radio for a few years in the 80s.

RIP Big Tom, he will be walking the 'one country road to the churchyard where my Mum and Daddy lie'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

“Your going with out the same way you came in”

No truer words and a great tune

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

physioman wrote: »
    Met him once. Giant of a man . He couldn't sing but apparently his music had great timing. Caught for tax evasion but generally loved. Could be the biggest funeral up north since Bobby sands.

Last time I checked Monaghan was part of the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not a country music fan, a very friendly and nice man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Greybottle wrote: »
    Absolute Gent. R.I.P.

Not my style of music, my mother was a big fan of him, she often met him working as a barmaid in the 1960's in London, didn't see him for over 30 years and he came up to her one day in Howth harbour and said he recognised her. Seemed to be a very decent skin by all accounts,.

Can't picture Big Tom as a barmaid but I suppose they were different times

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

C__MC wrote: »
    “Your going with out the same way you came in”

No truer words and a great tune

RIP

He'll be buried through a vagina?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

C__MC wrote: »
    Last time I checked Monaghan was part of the republic

Did I say northern Ireland? North includes all 9 Ulster counties

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

RIP Big Tom.

I can't believe his mother is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Four roads to Heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I alos liked his cameo as Tucker McElroy lead singer of The Good 'Ole Boys and driver of the Winnebago in The Blues Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What'll the Mainliners do now?

Wonder who Big Tom is at this stage probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Seemingly a decent fella, going by some of the comments on here. I can't stand that whole "Country and Irish" genre, so I'll keep my comments on his music to myself. The local radio station down here will be in mourning for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

RIP..
    Still got the greatest hits CD in the car. Ain't no man found a way, of beating father time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

He put Glenamaddy on the map. Parents were big fans.
    Another fallen giant.
    RIP Big Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I only heard about this on the 6.1 news earlier. A lot of my many older relatives are big fans of him and his music. They probably be very sad to hear of his passing today. I'm not a big fan of his music though and I never met the man in person to know what he was like. But he has left a great legacy of country music behind him for all of his fans to enjoy throughout his long career. R.I.P. Big Tom.

Advertisement