Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hope he gets KTFO tbh, he could have been an all time great. Fighting once every 2 years at your prime fight age does not get you GOAT status.

Far from it but hes a sensational fighter - in the attention grabbing way - and people will always think hes a "great". Perception is reality. Much like Tyson. The amount of people who think hes the best boxer ever is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Is mctapper travelling to nyc to watch his boy get a beat down ?

He is yeah. Would love to see another Bellator incident!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Poor Artem looks like he needs some backup alright. A "Keane-Viera" type confrontation between Conor and Khabib would be the perfect entrée to a fight later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Poor Artem looks like he needs some backup alright. A "Keane-Viera" type confrontation between Conor and Khabib would be the perfect entrée to a fight later this year.

Poor Artem is right. "I never said that, when did I say that".
    I'd say he thought he was about to be suplexed through a window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Is he goes i can see him leaving after artems fight , noway is he going to sit there with no mic and let halloway or khabib abuse em

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Doubt it Khabib is in NYC so if conor goes he might have to try win his belt back from Khabib. He has refused to defend a belt be interesting to see if he'd be willing to fight to win it back so he can not it again:D

dave1982 wrote: »
    Doubt it Khabib is in NYC so if conor goes he might have to try win his belt back from Khabib. He has refused to defend a belt be interesting to see if he'd be willing to fight to win it back so he can not it again:D

McGregor is 100% in NYC as of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Nal wrote: »
    McGregor is 100% in NYC as of today.

Would be class if he popped out at the UFC 25 conference and a fight was announced, could only be against Nate at this stage so highly unlikely.

I'd take him confronting Khabib over the Artem thing at this stage, even a whiff of a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If Max wins, and becomes the legit champ champ, does he get stripped of the 145 title, or does he still hold it because he's able to defend it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If Max wins, and becomes the legit champ champ, does he get stripped of the 145 title, or does he still hold it because he's able to defend it?

I'd imagine he'll be given a time limit in which to defend it. Unless Dana doesn't want anyone to beat Conors glorious 13 day reign as double champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Dana said last night that if Max can agree to fight often enough he can hold and defend both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Far from it but hes a sensational fighter - in the attention grabbing way - and people will always think hes a "great". Perception is reality. Much like Tyson. The amount of people who think hes the best boxer ever is staggering.
    have you ever watched his fights closely and payed attention to the technical details? maybe he wont got down as the GOAT, but he's one of the greats in modern mma IMO

even without the hype and self promotion, his performances stand out

have you ever watched his fights closely and payed attention to the technical details? maybe he wont got down as the GOAT, but he's one of the greats in modern mma IMO

even without the hype and self promotion, his performances stand out

Oh sure. I'm a fan. No begrudgery from me on this one. Superb fighter.

But, two time champ, no defences.

However, theres more money in the controversy of him not defending, getting stripped and then coming back to win again. Or at a different weight class.

Or in a different sport!

Thats what I mean by sensational. He was never going to be a Mighty Mouse or an Aldo. Fighting the 4th or 5th ranked guy just to defend his belt. Thats a waste.

Dana is all over the place regarding who is and isn't being stripped. I've given up trying to make sense of things like this because the whole thing is a circus. None of it makes any sense, there's no consistency in anything the UFC do.

Dana is all over the place regarding who is and isn't being stripped.

Hes not. When/if Khabib and Holloway make it to the fight on Saturday, McGregor gets stripped and the winner is the legit LW champ. Ferguson has already been stripped of his interim title.

What they need to do is ditch the interim titles altogether. Just leave it at #1 contender. If the champ in any division does a McGregor on it, just have the #1 and #2 face off for the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

He picked the route that earned him and his family the most money so he could provide everything they could possibly need in life

I would love to have seen him fight 3-4 times over the last 2 years, but Im happy for him. hopefully he has a few more fights left in the octagon

Hes not. When/if Khabib and Holloway make it to the fight on Saturday, McGregor gets stripped and the winner is the legit LW champ. Ferguson has already been stripped of his interim title.

What they need to do is ditch the interim titles altogether. Just leave it at #1 contender. If the champ in any division does a McGregor on it, just have the #1 and #2 face off for the belt.
    He is. He's all over the place, he's playing word games, won't say things plainly. For months he wouldn't even say that Conor would be stripped. He literally just said Tony would not be stripped. He won't have the interim title any more...but no, he won't be stripped, Conor is the only one we are stripping. It was in response to a question by Ariel about why Whittaker was not stripped of the interim but Tony will be.

I'm not looking to argue with you about semantics, the point i'm making is that Dana is all over the place, he says whatever suits him at the time and you can't take anything he says as gospel. There's no consistency to anything the UFC do so you can't use past decisions to predict their future ones.

He is. He's all over the place, he's playing word games, won't say things plainly. For months he wouldn't even say that Conor would be stripped. He literally just said Tony would not be stripped. He won't have the interim title any more...but no, he won't be stripped, Conor is the only one we are stripping. It was in response to a question by Ariel about why Whittaker was not stripped of the interim but Tony will be.

I'm not looking to argue with you about semantics, the point i'm making is that Dana is all over the place, he says whatever suits him at the time and you can't take anything he says as gospel. There's no consistency to anything the UFC do so you can't use past decisions to predict their future ones.

Hes terrified of not having a champion or a championship match.

I hear you, but as I said, the interim thing is a load of bollocks. Dana saying Ferguson is #1 contender. Which is what the interim title is/was.

But yes, Dana is very inconsistent, there are no set rules about mandatory defences and so on. And hes capable of being a complete dickhead too like he is with Mighty Mouse and the flyweight division. Hes soley interested in making money. But thats his job I suppose and not unusual for a big promoter to be a cock.

Hes good friends with Donald Trump, what do you expect?!

P.S. He will love if Conor steps in and starts trash talking the winner at the weekend. Conor will get whatever fight he wants next in UFC. A LW championship fight gives the UFC 6 months of "Thats my belt, I'm the real champ" promo to knock about with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor still has an actual belt......if/when he ever returns I'm sure he'll be parading it, all part of the fun

in fact I'd imagine he'll have his 2 belts in front of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

sonofenoch wrote: »
    McGregor still has an actual belt......if/when he ever returns I'm sure he'll be parading it, all part of the fun

So does Ferguson. And Álvarez. And RDA. And Pettis. Etc etc etc

So does Ferguson. And Álvarez. And RDA. And Pettis. Etc etc etc

You can hardly parade a belt if you're beaten in the octagon for it, granted Ferguson aside

We can go all around the houses on the whys and where for's with McGregor (and everyone has) ....but he's not been beaten for his belts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

sonofenoch wrote: »

Yeah. So does BJ Penn. Should he be parading his too or do you think you he actually has enough self awareness to know how cringe that would be?

Yeah. So does BJ Penn. Should he be parading his too or do you think you he actually has enough self awareness to know how cringe that would be?

Did he not lose twice to Edgar for a belt? has he not lost his last what 5 or 6 fights ? yeah him holding up a belt in a press conference would be cringe

Jon Jones brought out his belt after his ban with Cormier, I didn't see the cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wouldn't be surprised if they're looking for Khabib and his crew. Definitely up to no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

LOL at how a multi millionaire and one of the most famous athletes in the world shows up to a media day to f*ck around.

And gotta love how hes got Artems back.

Can someone please conspiracy theory this with the Kinahans and the Dagestan dictator and how it'll cause some political issues

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement