Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial - all 4 found not guilty Mod Note post one

• 28-03-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

Strange.. I'm kinda relieved it's all over.

http://www.thejournal.ie/belfast-rape-trial-verdict-3928309-Mar2018/

Mod Note Keep this relevant to this thread and don't bring up others. ie the eighth amendment thread.

MOD NOTE By the way don't post anything from members on the jury that's appearing online.

Do You Agree With The Not Guilty Verdict? 1964 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    60% 1196 votes
    I'm Still Not Sure
    22% 439 votes
    No Comment
    16% 329 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Surprised at the verdict and it being so quick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well there you go. Two hours not long to discuss I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

This thread is going to be interesting :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Their careers have probably been ended either way. There are no winners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Can't wait for the very civil and level headed discussions in here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jeeves!!

Fetch me my popcorn and a large snifter of cognac my good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Will she be named now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Expected that. Maybe thought they'd charge Harrison but not surprised by the outcome. Never enough evidence to prosecute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Awaits comments of

"This is not justice"

"Wrong verdict"

etc etc

It's already started on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I feel sorry for the girl, whether or not she was telling porkies or not, it's a sorry sorry affair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Based on what I’ve read, it seems like the right decision. There was plenty of doubt there. Being a misogynistic jackass isn’t illegal.

Edited to add, because I think it’s important: A feminist friend of mine thought the men were innocent based on what she had read of the case. Not all feminists are irrational beings. My friend is a scientist though. Maybe her training allows her to evaluate things in a cold, clear manner.

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Awaits comments of

"This is not justice"

"Wrong verdict"

etc etc

It's already started on Twitter

Kudos on the profile name by the way!

It saddens me that (regardless of whether or not she was up for it or whatever) they would want to defile a young woman like that anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

pjohnson wrote: »
    Will she be named now?

not in the media I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

This won't affect their careers in the slightest, nor should it.
    They are innocent.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Based on what I’ve read, it seems like the right decision. There was plenty of doubt there. Being a misogynistic jackass isn’t illegal.

Agreed, unfortunately there are many folks who'd made up their minds of guilt (and vice versa) long before the verdict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

pjohnson wrote: »
    Will she be named now?

Name and pictures going around since the start of this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Thank fcuk it's over, pain in my bollocks with it, every day being headline news

Sad thing is, the 4 lads in question will probably have their careers finished now regardless whereas the accuser stands behind anonymity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Zulu wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the girl, whether or not she was telling porkies or not, it's a sorry sorry affair.

How the bloody hell can you feel sorry for a liar??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Based on what I read of the trial - that was pretty much the verdict I expected..

Whether that's actually the just result - I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

None of them should ever have been named in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

It was always going to be a lose/lose trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

padd b1975 wrote: »
    They are innocent.

Jackson and Olding are victims. They should be allowed return to play for Ulster.

And eejits who had started campaigns to have Rory Best removed as Ireland captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Zulu wrote: »

And you don't feel sorry for the others? Careers and reputations destroyed. I really wish this trial was done out of the public's view so that all parties involved would not be worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

spurious wrote: »
    Well there you go. Two hours not long to discuss I would have thought.

I was surprised by that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I was always putting myself in their position at that age(young)and thinking!? How are they coping day in day out...
    I think I would have cracked up....
    I always seen it as a drunken regretful night, that should never have happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Also just my take on the matter.

To be honest I wasn't too sure where I stood on it, kept flipping between believing they were innocent to believing they were guilty. It's hard to say for certain based off what was heard, only the people themselves really know.

Despite the fact I think I was leaning on the side that they were guilty if a jury has found them not guilty after the long trial that it was then have to accept this fact and put my personally opinions aside on it. In the eyes of the law they are innocent men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Why? they are innocent.....

How would anyone think they would be able to punish someone for been innocent?

If guilty then yes they certainly would never be seen near a rugby shirt again and that would be 100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

padd b1975 wrote: »
    They are innocent.

I'd love to say you're right but I doubt it. Maybe I am being cynical, maybe you're being naive but I don't think they will play international rugby again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

At the end of the day, whatever your feelings on this case may be- there simply wasn’t enough evidence to prosecute. Personally I don’t know how the jury reached a decision so quickly, as every day when the summaries went out my mind changed. For me, the whole thing hinges on the witness who walked in. She was the crux of it and I think her testament was 90% of the reason they got off. Whatever your feelings on this, whether you think they should have been found guilty or not- I think we can all agree that the texts they shared about her the next day were nothing short of disgusting, and they showed their true nature. Okay, so they may not have raped her. But they showed her absolutely no regard and spoke about her as if she was a piece of meat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement