Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple in Kildare sentenced over 'one of largest welfare fraud cases

• 23-03-2018 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/court-social-welfare-fraud-3920312-Mar2018/

Couple in Kildare sentenced over 'one of largest welfare fraud cases in the State'
    The couple claimed rent allowance to pay off a mortgage that the husband got under a false name.

A 36-YEAR-old man has been jailed for two years and his wife received a three-year suspended sentence for what has been described as one of the largest welfare fraud cases in the State.

The combined fraud totals more than €400,000 and took place over a period of more than eight years.

Kenneth Gboboh and his 41-year-old wife Franca arrived in Ireland from Nigeria in 2006.

Both applied for and began to receive unemployment benefit. Mr Gboboh then established a second identity under the name Patrick Akim and worked as an IT project manager using this name. He also took out a €240,000 mortgage from EBS in 2008 using the name Patrick Akim.

But ruth koppinger tells us theres no welfare fraud?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I sense you are trying to tie two points together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do banks not look for proof of identity when giving out mortgages?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

€400,000 for what will be 18 months in a prison, most of it in an open one.

Yep. Crime pays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

But ruth koppinger tells us theres no welfare fraud?????

Link please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Will they have to pay any of the money back?

Presumably the now have a highly valuable asset in their name that was paid for by means of deception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was wondering how long it would take a genius to claim that since these two commited welfare fraud all welfare is undeserved.

It happened in the OP :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

kylith wrote: »

Yes the absolutely foolproof and impossible to forge utility bill. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

fraud exists everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yes the absolutely foolproof and impossible to forge utility bill. :rolleyes:

They look for passport, marriage cert, utility bill, payslips and 6 months bank account statements....

So not just a utility bill. The bill is only used as proof of address, not ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Turtwig; Did you delete the mob/populist-tainting-welfare-recipients post?

I was going to ask if you thought that the 'mob' in this instance are working people (those who pay tax).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Can't wait till some one blames the bankers or fianna fail for this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

kylith wrote: »

They do, but they guy is a fraudster so obviously had legit fake documents for the second identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

pjohnson wrote: »
    I was wondering how long it would take a genius to claim that since these two commited welfare fraud all welfare is undeserved.

It happened in the OP :D

He didn’t say that and how could you have been wondering for any length of time if it was in the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

McGrath5 wrote:
    Presumably the now have a highly valuable asset in their name that was paid for by means of deception.

40,000 arrears on mortgage, house will probably be repossessed and then what happens, they go on the housing/homeless list and guess what, they get rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭McGrath5

august12 wrote: »
    40,000 arrears on mortgage, house will probably be repossessed and then what happens, they go on the housing/homeless list and guess what, they get rent allowance.

Yeah, and we all know how fast repossessions go in this country :rolleyes:

McGrath5 wrote:
    Yeah, and we all know how fast repossessions go in this country

If the house was bought with a mortgage that was obtained fraudulently I think there maybe a different route for the bank to pursue than the standard repossession . Highly unlikely the couple are going to try and fight a case brought by the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Surprised he got a mortgage just under two years after getting here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

august12 wrote: »

who gets the house, a bank or the state? if its the bank they make a profit on this, and the state loses out again

who gets the house, a bank or the state? if its the bank they make a profit on this, and the state loses out again

Why would the state get a house that the EBS technically owns?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surprised he got a mortgage just under two years after getting here..

If you can forge official documents you could probably forge a bit of residency history too.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Whatever slant one wants to put on this case - its does show that there are serious problems in the welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

....in before

"what about the bankers"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Take the house and send them straight back to Africa after the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

May as well laugh.

Because, verily I tell thee, as a compliant PAYE Irish taxpayer - you will get damn all else out of this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

Best little country in the world to be on the dole.
    We are here to be milked and many of our new arrivals are obliging wholeheartedly.
    A mates new flame is non national and working away here. She is pestered by some of her fellow countrymen to go on the dole, they rig her up a new identity for it and split it 50/50. Tip of the iceberg stuff imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Surely they will have to sell the house and the proceeds can repay EBS with balance to Social Welfare?

Even CAB may take an interest as it is proceeds of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

to do what he did, he mustn't have any rich Nigerian relatives like I have.

But they are a very unlucky lot, always popping their clogs in unfortunate sudden accidents. :(

Have to say their lawyers are very nice always offering me money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Maybe I'm a racist, but I can't help but not feel a bit riled by thought of how somebody who hasn't been in the country a wet week manages to get a mortgage and social welfare entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Maybe I'm a racist, but I can't help but not feel a bit riled by thought of how somebody who wasn't been in the country a wet week manages to get a morgage and social welfare entitlements.
    I was thinking the very same thing and also wondering how Nigerians are getting in here in the first place? Is Nigeria not an oil rich country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If you can forge official documents you could probably forge a bit of residency history too.......

And with all the forging, lying, and stealing from Irish tax payers, one would have to wonder if there was a possibility of deceit when they applied for asylum in Ireland?

Interesting to note from the Court papers that: “some friends may have advised him” when he came to Ireland before he undertook the fraud.
    Would that imply that other Nigerians are also involved in similar scams and yet to be caught?

Advertisement