Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostage/Siege in French Supermarket - Islamic State angle

• 23-03-2018 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

News just breaking. Only one person with psychotic religious/cultural beliefs apparently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mark Henderson

Maybe he bought some rotten apples and they won't take them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Just another day in the new France.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not a bad idea. Plenty of food and water for a prolonged stay. And most importantly no need to order in Pizza with hidden microphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Only one person with psychotic religious/cultural beliefs apparently.
    So a moderate rebel then.

Yeah but a white guy probably kerbed a wheel somewhere today. Why pick on the Muslims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Reports of one off duty policeman and a butcher, in the supermarket presumably have been shot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

920613a39f3b8ea4ade19afbe93abb61.png

Bit of a dodgy translation "touched" should have been "hit"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Before I came to Ireland, and we are going back 16 years, I was half planning to move to France; I speak fluent French...Thankfully someone far wiser than I will ever be warned m that things were heading this way .. so very sad and shocking.

6 mins ago
    The gunman is now alone with one policeman inside the supermarket, and all other hostages have been freed, according to the mayor of Trebes.

He's pretty useless so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Does the release of hostages eliminate the ISIS connection? Doesn't seem their style.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Nokotan wrote: »
    Does the release of hostages eliminate the ISIS connection? Doesn't seem their style.

Policeman is a bigger prize to him and its easier to manage just one person rather than having several who may try to take him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Isis/Syria angle was also reported on SOR by some reporter at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Graces7 wrote: »
    Before I came to Ireland, and we are going back 16 years, I was half planning to move to France; I speak fluent French...Thankfully someone far wiser than I will ever be warned m that things were heading this way .. so very sad and shocking.

I'm happy that went your way.

However, for all our sakes, I can't see any immunity for us in the long game with this. A lot of honest people will come. But hidden in among them will be this element - guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Graces7 wrote: »
    Before I came to Ireland, and we are going back 16 years,  I was half planning to move to France; I speak fluent French...Thankfully someone far wiser than I will ever be warned m that things were heading this way .. so very sad and shocking.
    What are you talking about? I live in France and it is a perfectly safe, beautiful country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

topper75 wrote: »

However, for all our sakes, I can't see any immunity for us in the long game with this. A lot of honest people will come. But hidden in among them will be this element - guaranteed.

Yes I know . Maybe we on the smaller offshore islands will fare better. And we already have some pretty difficult home grown violent folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think you're much more likely to die by bureaucracy than terrorism in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gid Moaning

I was pissing by the door, when I heard two shats

2 people killed, 1 of them the butcher of the supermarkt.
    Several wounded

And witnesses reporting the usual yel that comes with this kind of attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Suspect is "Known to authorities", Shock-Horror. Also demands the release of Abdeslam

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/977160355574173701

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Mark Henderson

What are you talking about? I live in France and it is a perfectly safe, beautiful country.

There are parts of France that are safe and there are parts that the police won't enter because of "cultural enrichment"

To deny what has happened to parts of France is head in the sand stuff.

Many parts of Marseille are akin to some of the worst s h it holes in the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Well apparently not "perfectly safe" to the 300 or so people killed by ISIS since 2015.

Apparently everyone has been released/escaped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

The fact that you live there, the fact that France is the most visited country in the world by tourists and the fact that it actually is a perfectly safe, beautiful country, means little to some people.

They've made up their mind and they're not for turning. They have youtube videos, ranting blogs and opinions from idiots that they know to back up their prejudices.

Ireland used to be home to the IRA and dozens of other terrorist groups and off-shoots yet how many people here felt unsafe in their day to day lives? I type that as someone who lived in Tramore when a customer was shot dead by the IRA in a bank in 1979

English spoken France24 live stream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

topper75 wrote: »

Ya but whenever they come to ireland and experience the craic they change their evil ways and have a few scoops with the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To be fair they took nice break till today.

Ireland used to be home to the IRA and dozens of other terrorist groups and off-shoots yet how many people here felt unsafe in their day to day lives?

Was Ireland very popular as tourist destination in those days? People living here might know what the deal is, people abroad dont.

Even when i told people in Holland 16 years ago that i had plans to move here they thought i would have been blown to pieces within 2 months.

Whether or not it is safe (again) a country does suffer consequences because of **** like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ireland used to be home to the IRA and dozens of other terrorist groups and off-shoots yet how many people here felt unsafe in their day to day lives? I type that as someone who lived in Tramore when a customer was shot dead by the IRA in a bank in 1979

The IRA was the least of Tramore,s problems.

Advertisement