Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sad news - RIP Gabriel Howard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

A true gentleman , friend and stalworth of Irish cycling for decades, RIP Gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭tonytiger81

Very very sad news. Had the pleasure of listening to him both from the bunch and the sidelines. The Phil Liggett of Irish Cycling. It won't be the same without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

RIP Gabriel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

A God among men.
    A voice you could here for miles and a man you would see at even the most obscure race either watching, helping, running or commentating.
    God's speed
    RIP Gaybo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Gabriel Howard was a true legend.
    He raced The Rás 21 times.
    He won a stage in 1965.
    He was 3rd on GC in 1971.
    He was an unofficial participant in the 1972 Munich Olympics Road Race.
    He was a constant on The Rás as an official for over 30 years.
    He was ever present at races all over the country, helping riders and organisers alike. No race was too small or too big for Gaybo.
    His voice was heard, as M.C., at races for as long as I've been involved in cycling.
    Nobody was safe, when Gaybo had the mic in his hand. Many times, down the years, I was the object of his unique wit.
    It's said, that nobody is indispensable. Gabriel may well be the exception to the rule.
    He will be greatly missed.
    May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He was a great character - I'd only known him for a few years but it was clear his passion for cycling was immense. Stamullen have been a great club for developing youngsters and he was passionate to protect the future of the sport

A tragic way to be taken - Article here

gabriel_howard_81.jpg

RIP Gaybo - your "dulcet" tones out there on numerous circuits throughout the racing season will be very sadly missed

Had a read of that Meath Chronicle piece on him :
    Howard rode in 21 Rasanna , a total of 205 stages, over his career

Terribly tragic loss RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭buffalo

A huge loss.
    HOWARD, Gabriel (Gaybo) (Stedalt, Stamullen, Co. Meath) – February 9, 2018, (suddenly), late of Stamullen Road Club and stalwart of Irish Cycling; sadly missed by his loving wife Kay, daughters Siobhan and Sinead, son Seamus, sons-in-law Paul and Pat, daughter-in-law Phebe, grandchildren Alexandra, Fintan, Gabrielle, Lorcan, Emma and Ryan, brother Dessie, sister Olive and a large circle of friends.

May he Rest In Peace.

Reposing at his home on Tuesday (13th Feb.) afternoon from 2 p.m. – 8 p.m. Removal on Wednesday (14th Feb.) morning to St. Patrick’s Church, Stamullen, arriving for 12 noon Mass, followed by funeral to Stamullen Cemetery. Family flowers only please. Donations if desired to Our Lady’s Childrens Hospital, Crumlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

There was something comforting about seeing and hearing Gay at races. Not sure what it was, maybe just that he made us laugh or hearing him gave a feeling of familiarity, steadied the nerves. Hearing his voice always made me feel at ease. I have been a lot more upset at the news than I expected. I don’t think road racing in Ireland will ever be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.lmfm.ie/on-air/shows/late-lunch/late-lunch-podcasts-(1)/late-lunch-tribute-to-gay-howard/

Above is a link to a podcast from the local radio station in Drogheda, LMFM.
    It was aired today as a tribute to the late and great Gaybo. It was recorded in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I only came into contact with him when I started racing last year, he could always make you laugh even if you were chewing your stem and breathing through your ears. He will be sadly missed, an irreplaceable personality.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Really shocked and saddened to hear about this. My first ever open race was out in Stamullen at the Monie Nolan and I always loved going back to their races.

He's a massive loss to the sport. His passion for cycling was only matched by his quick wit and good humour.

Advertisement