Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2018

• 29-11-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jimmy Kimmel back to host, will there be many Weinstein and Spacey jokes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• If only they brought Seth MacFarlene to host. Can you imagine the jokes he'd make about Weinstein?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hopefully they won't mess up on announcing the Best Picture winner, like they did this year.

I kinda expect the silence breakers and/or #metoo campaigners in the movie business to open the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I kinda expect the silence breakers and/or #metoo campaigners in the movie business to open the show

Maybe have Meryl Streep lead them.
    I expect a cringe fest with more awards than normal going to women. The might as well have a father ted type sign saying "not degenerates'.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    I expect a cringe fest with more awards than normal going to women. The might as well have a father ted type sign saying "not degenerates'.

I imagine Streep will land another nomination for The Post

• Ipso wrote: »

I can't imagine that happening. There weren't an influx of black people winning awards after the #sowhite stuff that happened last year. Moonlight won, sure, but that was just the more deserving movie more than it being about a black individual.

• Ipso wrote: »

I expect within a few years all male and female categories will be merged, and only black women will win the oscars until we irish start complaining about being marginalized and then we win it for a good 3-5 years after that. It will be known as the Saoirse Ronan era!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Thought according to all the gushing praise that all Saoirse Ronan had to do was turn up and she'd get the award. Now I see Sally Hawkins is the frontrunner at 13/8 (with PPs), with Ronan marked at 4/1. Even at 4/9 I'd say Gary Oldman is good value for Leading Actor; it's probably his time at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ipso wrote: »

Outside of swinging a vote to a female director, is there much scope to award more Oscars to women than normal? Actor and Actress categories are split so not much of a statement to make there... what's left then? The technical awards? They don't grab headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

At least the edgy anti Trump smugness should be gone.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I can't imagine that happening. There weren't an influx of black people winning awards after the #sowhite stuff that happened last year. Moonlight won, sure, but that was just the more deserving movie more than it being about a black individual.

Dunno about that, wasn't that great a film.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

silverharp wrote: »
    At least the edgy anti Trump smugness should be gone.

Why? After Trump throwing his weight behind Roy Moore despite all the allegations against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Why? After Trump throwing his weight behind Roy Moore despite all the allegations against him?

sure that wouldn't even cancel Polanski out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Actresses including Meryl Streep wearing black at the Golden Globes

http://ew.com/awards/2017/12/14/golden-globes-actresses-wearing-black-protest-harassment/

Someone should start a #youtoo for Polanski sympatisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

http://ew.com/awards/2017/12/14/golden-globes-actresses-wearing-black-protest-harassment/

After her been called out by Rose McGowan, would that be a smart idea. Streep has becoming slightly annoying over the last few years with her sticking her nose into everything. She's pretty much untouchable in Hollywood.

Anyway onto Awards...

Best Actress and Actor, it seems right now Sally Hawkins, Saoirse Ronan and Frances Mcdormand for Actress are the three front runners. Tough one to call, I could see them overlooking Ronan cause she's still young although Stone and Lawrence won it young enough.

Actor, is a lot tougher to call. I don't think Day Lewis or Hanks will be winning, could throw it to Oldman for his overall career. Timothee Chalamet will be in the reckoning. I like to James Franco in the running as he's really great in Disaster Artist.

Best Film, it's going to be between The Shape Of Things, Call Me By Your Name, Three Billboards, and a outside in Get Out.

Best Director, could see them throwing it on Nolan, but wouldn't surprise me if they ignore him again. Del Toro could be the one to beat him. Shame that Denis Villeneuve has been completely ignored by the awards right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I hope D day lewis doesn't get best actor.his latest is an absolute bore fest.id love to see Gary oldman get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Good stuff Rose.

Streep was content to shout her praises for Weinstein as high as she could while supposedly his alleged sexual advances were known to everyone. Lets not forget her support of Polansky also.
    Her speech at The Globes last year where she was talking about diversity was incredibly smug, taunting NFL and UFC, while ignoring the fact that those sports had more diversity and worth than the majority of smug dross she has pumping out over the last few years.

Horrible person indeed.

I think Jake Gyllenhaal for Stronger and Hugh Jackman for The Greatest Showman will land nominations for best actor but winner is likely between Oldman and Franco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Never mind the oscars. Are we getting a boards movie awards anytime soon? I think last year wasn't done until March.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

p to the e wrote: »
    Never mind the oscars. Are we getting a boards movie awards anytime soon? I think last year wasn't done until March.

Last year was probably a bit too late, but do you not think its better to wait until around Oscar time? All the award worthy films come out in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The awards buzz for Get Out is weird. I loved it but in a Wes Craven, slightly thrashy horror movie kind of way. Reminded me of Shocker or New Nightmare.

I'm seeing it in lots of critics end of year lists and the cynical part of me thinks that the subject matter and timely story are why it's so highly regarded. Oscar buzz for a horror movie? Bit unusual.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    The awards buzz for Get Out is weird. I loved it but in a Wes Craven, slightly thrashy horror movie kind of way. Reminded me of Shocker or New Nightmare.

I'm seeing it in lots of critics end of year lists and the cynical part of me thinks that the subject matter and timely story are why it's so highly regarded. Oscar buzz for a horror movie? Bit unusual.

Got a few places at number 1 on the end of year lists too, well they did kind make amends with the "white washing of 2016 Oscars" by giving the Best Picture award to Moonlight (although that film deserved it) the next year. But I have read a lot of deep reading into Get Out and Jorden Peele has definitely given a lot of thought and has been well spoken about his ideas behind the film.

I haven't seen it so I can't judge it on what the quality of the film, but a lot of the critics are saying it's in for a good chance of winning the top awards.

I think Jake Gyllenhaal for Stronger and Hugh Jackman for The Greatest Showman will land nominations for best actor but winner is likely between Oldman and Franco

the reviews for The Greatest Showman haven't been great, saying it's mostly fluff but they are saying it's dead on for Best Song, I think it go either way with Jackman. Gyllenhaal, the film hasn't really been in the shake up for awards but it's Oscar bait type of role, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got the nod. I still think him not getting a Oscar Nod for Nightcrawler was a damn shame, still his best performance to date.

My bet it will be

Gary Oldman
    James Franco
    Timothee Chalamat
    Tom Hanks
    Gyllenhaal or Day Lewis

I think Oldman will win it. I would love to see Franco do it As I think he's awesome in Disaster Artist.

• Looper007 wrote: »
    . I would love to see Franco do it As I think he's awesome in Disaster Artist.

I'll be interested to see that. Franco in my opinion has been prolifically poor in the last few years after starting off very well. He's been in so many mediocre productions recently that he seems to be also producing, or directing or writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Looper007 wrote: »
    the reviews for The Greatest Showman haven't been great, saying it's mostly fluff but they are saying it's dead on for Best Song, I think it go either way with Jackman. Gyllenhaal, the film hasn't really been in the shake up for awards but it's Oscar bait type of role, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got the nod. I still think him not getting a Oscar Nod for Nightcrawler was a damn shame, still his best performance to date.

My bet it will be

Gary Oldman
    James Franco
    Timothee Chalamat
    Tom Hanks
    Gyllenhaal or Day Lewis

I think Oldman will win it. I would love to see Franco do it As I think he's awesome in Disaster Artist.

Why no buzz for Jeremy Renner who was close to his best in the very good Wind River?

I'll be interested to see that. Franco in my opinion has been prolifically poor in the last few years after starting off very well. He's been in so many mediocre productions recently that he seems to be also producing, or directing or writing.

Oh when Franco is given the right material he's one of the best actors around (James Dean made for TV film, 127 Hours and Spring Breakers been some of his best) , he's also one of the most bonkers guys and he can ham it up like no one's business. He writes Novel's (one of which was turned into the film Palo Alto directed by one of Coppola's Grandchildren), makes albums, writes and Directs and even went back to College to study film during his fame. He's a interesting character for sure.

If you remember Tropic Thunder and it's famous line "You Never Go Full Retard" check this out from Franco's written and directed adaption of William Faulkner's unfilmable classic novel The Sound and The Fury (he also directed another unfilmable Faulkner classic in As I Lay Dying)

MfMan wrote: »
    Why no buzz for Jeremy Renner who was close to his best in the very good Wind River?

He's been on one Oscar Roundtable, it's shame he hasn't been mentioned as he was excellent in that film. But he's been mentioned here or there but I'd be very surprised if he gets a Oscar nod.

• Advertisement

• MfMan wrote: »

Kind of one dimensional acting performance though no? Not saying it was bad or anything but wouldn't stand out to me as being award worthy.

Advertisement