Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wordpress hosting

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Thanks so much for all your help everyone.
    I realise it's probably frustrating talking to an amateur when you could do the same job in a fraction of the time. I really appreciate it.
    Getting this done is a small benefit of lockdown. No work so I have the time to do it.

I think I'm there with the ssl.
    I have my wordpress admin open in chrome to make any changes.
    I have my website open in Edge to see the changes, every time I do something I empty cache and data in Edge so I'm looking at a fresh view every time.

My next task is to work out how to make fewer http requests and use cookie free domains.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Depending on your CDN provider, you might be able to get your CDN to serve static items cookie free (ignore cookies).

Depending on your local caching plugin, you might be able to set automatically combine/minify JS / CSS which would reduce your number of http requests.

I use WP Rocket for local cache which does combine/minify well but it is a paid plugin.

Graham wrote: »
    Depending on your CDN provider, you might be able to get your CDN to serve static items cookie free (ignore cookies).

Depending on your local caching plugin, you might be able to set automatically combine/minify JS / CSS which would reduce your number of http requests.

I use WP Rocket for local cache which does combine/minify well but it is a paid plugin.

Thanks Graham. I am using w3 total cache free. I can select combine OR minify.
    CDN I'm using is Cloudflare.

Cloudflare is a bit unique as a CDN. Most CDNs would just server the static elements (images, javascript files, css). Cloudflare sits in front of your entire website as a sort of middleman and everything (including html) is served by cloudflare.

I haven't looked at cloudflare in a while, it's worth checking to see if it does the combine/minify for you.

It does have an auto minify setting. I have it switched on but will it clash with the minify in w3 total cache?

• Advertisement

I'd switch it off in W3, no point having them fighting.

In Cloudflare the Browser Cache TTL is set to 1 year. Is this ok?

Also what security plugin do you recommend? (if any)

The only plugin I use that might be considered security is WPS Hide Login.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Graham wrote: »
    The only plugin I use that might be considered security is WPS Hide Login.
    I have this and I create two .htaccess files:
    /wp-content/.htaccess and /wp-includes/.htaccess with the same in each:
    # Prevent execution of PHP files.
    <Files *.php>
    deny from all
    </Files>

Hi again,
    I'm still having ssl issues with an image not loading over https.
    It's the logo button top left oh my header.
    I've tried deleting it, re inserting it, re naming it but nothing seems to change. It always goes back to the http one.
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Can't work it out.
    I've changed the image completely. Cleared cache, but when I view the console It shows the old image and the http warning.
    If I close the console screen it shows the new image..

I think you need to get someone to help you. For someone really familiar with WordPress (e.g. comfortable with database editing) it's should be a quick job.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Discod

So what's the price for 1 month you pay now?

€80 per year for the hosting, plus €2 per month for back up, plus€10 per year for ssl plus €30 per year for domain name

jamesbil wrote: »
    €80 per year for the hosting, plus €2 per month for back up, plus€10 per year for ssl plus €30 per year for domain name

30 for domain, it's not com, net etc I guess

Why they advise to change it, can't figure out, how many vistors you have monthly?

Discod wrote: »
    30 for domain, it's not com, net etc I guess
    My mistake. not 30.

Why they advise to change it, can't figure out, how many vistors you have monthly?

Said better speed and security. Noticeably faster loading wp admin. Not many visitors really. average 80 daily, max 300

Said better speed and security. Noticeably faster loading wp admin. Not many visitors really. average 80 daily, max 300

80 daily it's nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

A general server is set up for many uses probably using apache.
    If a server is just set up for one particular type of website e.g. WordPress then much of the caching, compressing content etc. is handled by the server with litespeed or nginx.
    This means less for you to worry about on the site, but stricter rules to follow some plugins won't be allowed, less load on the server so sites can display quicker. Server operator can monitor what is happening on the server more effectively and hopefully apply corrections before anybody's site speed is affected.

I run sites on several server set ups, and if the site is optimised, although there would still be gains on a litespeed server, they would be marginal for many sites.

If you have optimised your own site content, run a caching plugin, lazy load etc. and monitor your site's performance and you are happy with the speed of your site then do not change.

Hi again,
    I'm trying to find someone to do a bit of work on my site for the LEO voucher grant.
    Any recommendations? I need to get 3 quotes.

Hi again,
    I'm trying to find someone to do a bit of work on my site for the LEO voucher grant.
    You should list the work involved to see if it fits with their availability and abilities.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    You should list the work involved to see if it fits with their availability and abilities.
    Thanks
    A bit hard to list it actually as a pro will probably see things that need to be done that I dont see.

Mainly tweaks to make everything consistent, seo work, email and newsletter templates and some back end refinement.

It's not a full redesign.

Hi again,

what work you need? when? what kind of site is?

Advertisement