Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Sunday Market

• 15-03-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Anyone go to the new Naas Market this Sunday?

Judging by the stream of cars coming in people must have thought the same as me: A weekly car boot sale every Sunday in Naas is a brilliant idea.

Well, there was only a handful of stalls with frankly what was over-priced tat. What a disappointment. The restaurant was a disaster. I saw 3 staff members try to organise a baby bowl for somebody. After asking the same 3 staff members then the chef himself for some lunch, we gave it up as a bad job and left.

Teething problems? Perhaps.

Would I go back next week to give it another go, to see if there were more stalls, more car boots and some food? Not a chance!

Why?

Quite simply, we were all charged €2 to enter the market.

€2 might not seem a lot, but to me, this sums up everything wrong with Celtic Tiger Ireland. It's that short-term gain mentality that bugs me, businesses using the chance to fleece people for whatever they can, while they can, instead of thinking of the long-term. What makes it worse is that we pay it.

Any car boot sale I've been to before makes their profit from the stall holders. Naas charges only €20 per car boot or stall. I maintain that people are more likely to come back, week in and week out, and spend their cash, if they can park for free. Instead it will fizzle out and never get off the ground because of short-term money-grubbing.

Shame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

I was wondering would that market be any good, glad I didnt waste my time. they are going to get a much smaller crowd because of that 2euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I paid a visit to this yesterday. There were a fair few stalls and a really nice atmosphere in the place. For the kids there's a free bouncy castle and play area and most importantly its indoors. With more stalls, it could be good. I didn't try the food.

The downside in all of this is the €2 parking charge and I've no doubt that it will put people off. Fairyhouse Market have engaged in this practise for years as well. The only difference with Naas is that when you pay your €2 you get a voucher sheet entitling you to food and stall discounts. There's also discount vouchers on the back for local businesses.

I recommend giving it a visit, but it may not be everyones cup of tea.

PS: €20 for a stall is good value, but a bit pricey if you are just heading up to car boot it. And I think the carbooters should be segregated from the stall holders. The mix doesn't sit well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

I went to the Market in Naas yesterday, 2 euro to park, a little steep,but not too bad.
    What pushed me was the stall holder who started ranting and cursing at some young fella, my little lad was shocked by the potty mouth of this stall holder, who then started shouting to other stall holders (don't know what language its was , but not english)
    Now, I don't know what happened to cause all this, but the cursing from this stall holder was way beyond what ANY person should have to listen to.
    what ever happened to " the customer is always right??"

Anyway, I might go back, pity they would open the back entrance as I could walk to the market from my house.

Landy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caulfield55

I went to the market in naas on sunday just gone. I brought herself and the two kids. The 2 euro is a bit off putting but we had a good day. The highlight was the kids havin a go at the pony rides. Someone told us that there was a hundred stalls there which was good.

I had beef with mash and veg in the restaurant and it was ok.

The kids had a go in the playground and the eldest 3 1/2 got her facepainted. I thought it was grand and herself wants to go back in a couple of weeks. ?????

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BackRowBlues

Hi Folks

The wife and I went to the Naas market yesterday, I didnt mind paying the 2 euros as this is the run of the charge for parking your car, the boot sale in Kilkenny has been charging for parking for years. It was a nice day out and liked the selection of stalls inside and out, the wife liked the cosmetics and jewelery stalls. Will defo be going again, so big thumbs up to Naas Market. There was a good stream of people there yesterday. The Punchestown market what day of the week does it operate on? Is it big? and what hours is it open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Brigantes

The 2 euro is a bit off putting but we had a good day. The highlight was the kids havin a go at the pony rides. Someone told us that there was a hundred stalls there which was good.

I had beef with mash and veg in the restaurant and it was ok.

The kids had a go in the playground and the eldest 3 1/2 got her facepainted.

Jim

Glad to hear that there are far more stalls than originally. As I said in my original post, Naas needs something like this and It would be a shame if it wasn't a success.

Out of curiosity, how much were the pony rides and the face painting?

If they were free, fair enough. After all they are charging admission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BackRowBlues

Pony rides were 3 euro, dont know about the face painting

Brigantes wrote: »
    Glad to hear that there are far more stalls than originally. As I said in my original post, Naas needs something like this and It would be a shame if it wasn't a success.

Out of curiosity, how much were the pony rides and the face painting?

If they were free, fair enough. After all they are charging admission.

Facepainting is free (AFAIK) along with the bouncy castle and play area.(INDOOR) The pony rides are being supplied by a petting farm that are paying rent to be there, so its not unreasonable to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bobbie3

I went to this on Sunday - I paid €2 to park my car - there was myself, partner, and three kids - that's five people for €2....I really don't see any problem with that ! We had a very nice day - weather wasn't great but there were a fair few stalls with a good variety of stuff - some good bargains to be had alongside the inevitable tat. Kids really enjoyed the (free) bouncy castle and the (not free but reasonable) pony rides. I have to say the lady there doing the face painting (also free) was excellent - she was extremely busy but had great patience with the kids and did a fantastic job on each and every one - best face painting our kids ever had done (and they have had a lot !) We will go back again next week for that alone - €2 for 3 very happy kids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cookie70

Hi there, can anyone tell me if this is the only market in Naas on a Sunday as I heard there is one in the village too or am I mistaken. Which one is the best for car booters and is it alright for carbooters to sell scones and bread????
    I am heading there on Sunday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

there's a farmers market in hedermans bridge car park on a Saturday morning if that the one you heard of. Only food as far as i know

There's a carboot/market in Caragh GAA on Sunday morning. Sellers should get there for at least 7am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

anyone notice people selling records at Naas or Caragh boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dandoline

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    anyone notice people selling records at Naas or Caragh boots?

What kind of records are you looking for?

Dandoline wrote: »
    What kind of records are you looking for?

Jazz, soul, funk, folk, psych, r&b, library, lounge, soundtracks from the 1960s and 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

hey,
    was just wondering if anyone has been to the naas sunday market recently and has it improved since?

also what kind of items would you find there??

will probably head in tomorrow for a look!

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

catiny wrote: »
    hey,
    was just wondering if anyone has been to the naas sunday market recently and has it improved since?

also what kind of items would you find there??

will probably head in tomorrow for a look!

thanks

I'd advise against it if its not within 5 minutes of you. Last 2 times we were there it was sh!t. Hardly any stalls and anything that was there was rubbish or fake make-up(missus told me that).

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

well, I've been back to the Naas sunday market a few times, and it was much better than I was anticipating. didn't see any fake make-up!!

most stalls are inside these days with the weather starting to turn!
    worth a look if you are looking for bargains on stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

went two weeks ago and there was nothing but over priced second hand junk. If your into that kind of thing go for it, we won't me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I’ve gone every Sunday for the last month, I really only go to get a tray of 12 free range eggs for €1 which is a bargain, anything else is an extra. I sometimes get some cakes (the home made spice cake is delicious, it is similar to carrot cake without the carrots , it’s €1.50 and is enough for two people). They also do some gluten free breads and brownies. Second hand book stalls were good value.

I’ve also got a jacket for 50c and a nice jug for €2.

The restaurant/canteen have very cheap Sunday dinners and breakfasts but I’ve never tasted them.

It would be great if it had more car boot bargain stalls especially second hand furniture or household goods.

Oh I’ve never paid for parking by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 gigithebird

The Market has dramatically improved now that it is being run by Dave Kelly an ex stall holder. He is allso running the Resturant, Choice of Roast dinner's for only 6 Euros and Breakfeast for 5 Euros. Food all day long, You can order what ever you like. Free coffe and tea all day long. The entrance fee of 2Euro has been discontinued. Hope to see you this Sunday

Brigantes wrote: »
    Anyone go to the new Naas Market this Sunday?

Judging by the stream of cars coming in people must have thought the same as me: A weekly car boot sale every Sunday in Naas is a brilliant idea.

Well, there was only a handful of stalls with frankly what was over-priced tat. What a disappointment. The restaurant was a disaster. I saw 3 staff members try to organise a baby bowl for somebody. After asking the same 3 staff members then the chef himself for some lunch, we gave it up as a bad job and left.

Teething problems? Perhaps.

Would I go back next week to give it another go, to see if there were more stalls, more car boots and some food? Not a chance!

Why?

Quite simply, we were all charged €2 to enter the market.

€2 might not seem a lot, but to me, this sums up everything wrong with Celtic Tiger Ireland. It's that short-term gain mentality that bugs me, businesses using the chance to fleece people for whatever they can, while they can, instead of thinking of the long-term. What makes it worse is that we pay it.

Any car boot sale I've been to before makes their profit from the stall holders. Naas charges only €20 per car boot or stall. I maintain that people are more likely to come back, week in and week out, and spend their cash, if they can park for free. Instead it will fizzle out and never get off the ground because of short-term money-grubbing.

Shame.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please don't post multiple times. I've deleted your excess posts..and you wouldn't happen to be connected to this person by any chance, would you?

Anyone selling records at this?

No I am not connected just thought I would update you on the situation on the new owner of the Naas Market.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Please don't post multiple times. I've deleted your excess posts..and you wouldn't happen to be connected to this person by any chance, would you?

Yes.[

QUOTE=nlgbbbblth;75130289]Anyone selling records at this?[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

No I am not connected just thought I would update you on the situation on the new owner of the Naas Market.

For someone who has only made 3 submissions, and all 3 connected with this thread, I would question Your statement here whereby you say you are not connected. That puts me off going - if You were open and honest & admit Your connection, I might just drive up to have a look, but no, not now.

I don't give a toss what anyone tells me, the food may be cheap, but the standards are deplorable. H & S is not being followed. Each to their own.

Advertisement