Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM Studies and after

• 04-08-2018 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

In UCD what is course like i.e. how intensive? What are figures on pass rates and what are work opportunity itiex li,e after in IIreland . Anecdotal ly I understand that the students are highly motivated so I expect the failure rates are highly very low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

Final Med UCD GEM here, Yeah the course is split into the first 2 years of straight lectures, before heading to MMUH/SVUH for clinical teaching. With most of UCD medicine, the stuff isnt difficult to learn, for the most part is just a lot to learn in a short time frame. My undrgred was in DCU, there we got 2 weeks off to study for lie 4 exams, in UCD you get a week to study for maybe 7/8 exams so you have to use your time more diligently. But overall the first two years are sound. After that its off to the clinicals, I went to MMUH which in general is more chilled then SVUH for medicine/surgery, things get a little easier from here, its 2 exams a semester and general medicine/surgery knowledge takes you the bulk of the way. most people use http://www.icsmsu.com/exec/wp-content/uploads/Medicine-2012.pdf for medicine, you know that well your well on your way to a 1.1/2.1. After that your on to your rotations of GP/Psych or Paeds/OBGYN. of the four, OBGYN is generallu seen as the toughest but again very managable. after that its professional completion and your done!!!.

Thats the course in a nutshell, overall IMO, i found it very manageable, yes the class can be competitive, especially with the north Americans who have to nail the USMLE to practice back home, but in general, everyone passes and most do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Thanks swifteagle. That was the kind of info I was looking for. Best of luck with your career in the future.
    As the man said, this isn't for myself.

Advertisement