Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny's/Primark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 aluapnaej

It's ok for some bits and pieces but I can't help but wonder how on earth they can afford to sell clothes so cheaply? God knows the conditions of the workers who make them, then again more luxury brands (nike etc) have been accused of using sweatshops too so if I was to think about it too much I probably woulnd't buy anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

Penney's can be great, you just have to shop selectively and ALWAYS try things on, because the fit can be totally ****e on a lot of things.

The best way to wear anything decent that you come across in Penney's is with something more expensive. It'll look cheap if you dress ALL in Penney's clothes. People regularly look at me in complete shock when I tell them something I'm wearing is from Penney's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I buy socks and beach wear for holidays in there! They do nice bikinis, shorts, skirts and string tops etc. Things that you'd only wear once anyways so might aswell get them cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

eo980 wrote: »
    Walk into Penney's and you see that it generally attracts a certain type of customer. The kind who doesn't think anything of wearing pastel colours with their bright white addidas 'trainer's.

It's fine for boxers, cheap work shirts and socks, but that really is about the height of it.

Funny! Exactly my experience of it! :) I personally don't go near it, lots of my friends do but they're into getting cheap trends whereas I don't follow fashion & prefer quality over a quick fix. As for their scarves/bags, I know they're cheap but I've heard about them ripping/colour coming off etc after a few uses so its really false economy in my book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

phasers wrote: »
    best shop ever

you get great little jumpers and cardigans, tshirts, shoes and socks

I shop a lot and I love buying cheap little things, I don't expect something durable and long lasting.

You get a few good wears, throw it away and buy something new!
    I don't buy trousers there though, they're all made for short people

This is exactly why I love it..... and I'm short(ish) so I can wear the trousers.
    Some of the stuff is a bit tacky but some of it, if worn with the right stuff is fab. I'm always flattered to get compliments on my clothes (I adore shopping and all things fashion related) and people are always surprised when I say i got stuff in penny's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

I find the place very hit and miss. I've bought things in there that haven't lasted a single wash and other things that somehow have still held up much longer than some more expensive thing's I've bought. It's great for little bits and pieces although I'd never buy jeans or pants in there, they have the most awful fit i've ever come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭pinklady2

Pennys is great. I do think that you need to have the eye to Pick out the right items..I find the quality of their Bag,clothes & shoes very good noting I have ever bought has fallen apart.:p

When I do wear something from Pennys I am always asked where did you buy that..I think that says it all. The pennys in Swords is the best one I find it is always spotless and never to mad either.

I do not think it attracts a certain type of client either, I do not know what Pennys some people shop in...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Love pennies. Wouldnt buy the jeans but cardigans, tshirts etc are all brilliant.
    You can really see celtic tiger ireland coming out in this thread, the arrogance of some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Arrogance? Penneys is absolute slave labour cheap ****e. If you cared about the quality, fit and design of your clothes then you'd know Penneys stuff holds up in none of these categorys. If you're only buying socks etc in there then fair enough but if I had known a girl had bought an entire outfit there I'd have a good laugh.

Penneys is to fashion what pot noodles is to food

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

~nop~ wrote: »
    Love pennies. Wouldnt buy the jeans but cardigans, tshirts etc are all brilliant.
    You can really see celtic tiger ireland coming out in this thread, the arrogance of some people!

No it really is cheap muck. The quality of the clothes isn't great at all. I bought the odd t-shirt along the way and just don't wear them, they don't fit comfortably at all. I bought some trousers for work, they are very poor quality. They really are only good for the likes of small things that either don't matter such as socks and underwear or things like shirts and ties.

In relation to women's clothes it's plain to see the poor quality of many of the items. There is an old saying that 'You get what you pay for' and that's certainly the case with penney's.

The general consensus within the thread seems to be that they are fine for small items but a no-no for main items of clothing. They have their place, just not as a fashion mecca. There's no arrogance on display here, just common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

If anything, Penney's is a symptom of the Celtic Tiger - people happy to buy clothes that fall apart very quickly and keep replacing them. In the old days, they used to buy the best quality they could afford and keep repairing things for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

no way would i be caught in pennies god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

their womens is sooooooooo much better than their mens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭pinklady2

Arrogance? Penneys is absolute slave labour cheap ****e. If you cared about the quality, fit and design of your clothes then you'd know Penneys stuff holds up in none of these categorys. If you're only buying socks etc in there then fair enough but if I had known a girl had bought an entire outfit there I'd have a good laugh.

I knew that the issue of Slave Labour would be brought up, I looked into this as I buy whole outfits from Pennys (shock), I was worried about what I was contributing to by shopping there...I mailed a group who are very active in their fight against Child Labour and asked them about child labour and Pennys to find out if they were still linked to it. That was last year and I have gotten no reply.

I wonder why there has not been more media coverage /protest ect.. if child labour is very active in Pennys Produce..also shops like Topshop, Dunnes,Tesco,GAP,Nike have been linked to the same and I am sure there are many more designer shops linked to same.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

azezil wrote: »
    Dreadful for sizes I find, it's like they're catering for fat little umpa lumpa's! Their shirts are like tents on me and as for their slacks, seriously, its the only shop I've ever been in where I've found a 34" waist with a 30" leg! *boggle* Any other shop and it'd be the other way around, i.e. the right way :p

Hey I have a 32" sometimes 30" leg! Not 34" waist but it's not unheard of to be a size 16 in a country where the majority of adults are chubby. A 30" waist is still overweight anyway!

I like Penny's for vests and knickers mostly. Sometimes their summer stuff is great and they do a fairly good selection of swimwear, which should be cheap cos it'll be lost or thrown out after my holiday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think he's talking about men's sizes...

There's no way a 30" waist is overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

Pri-mani or prada-mark as I like to call it over here is the business!! spent £41stg in there today, going to a fancy dress in a few weeks so got my bet lynch outfit, a whole heap of clothes for work, very mix and matchable and i don't care if a child gets paint all over me, great knickers too, i love them. i hate spending money on stuff thats 'in fashion' for a short period of time, I spend money on classic pieces that will stand the fashion changes, otherwise, i'm quite happy with the atmosphere label. oh and my going clubbing jackets come from pri-mani just in case it gets lost, no worries, i'll just get another one without moaning the loss of jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

I dont see why so much judgement is passed on stuff that people buy from pennies.What does it matter to you??Nobody expects top quality stuff from there so if people want to get stuff from there,so be it...It would be great if everyone could buy top brand clothes all the time but thats not the case..

I buy clothes from there all the time and yes, some of the clothes dont fit right,like their jeans and some of the strappy tops (their tee shirts always fit great), but I find the tops in Topshop and Miss Selfridge dont fit either.Im size 8-10 and none of the tops fit right..they're always too big around the body but indecently too tight around the boobs(no big boobies jokes please,they're average).

And on the slave labour issue,theres a lot of do they/dont they arguments on the net but at least they are members of the Ethical Trading Initiative which is a step in the right direction (see list here http://www.ethicaltrade.org/Z/abteti/who/memb/list.shtml#co

(note what companies arent there)
    did a little research online and all these companies have been accused of slave/child labour

Arcadia Group (Topshop, Miss Selfridge, Dorothy perkins)
    Nike (if you note Converse which were bought by Nike a while back,they used to be made in the US but since the Nike have bought them they are now made in China,and there is info to suggest that they are made using slave labour)

Calvin Klein
    Tommy Hilfiger
    H&M
    Ralph Lauren
    Abercombie and Fitch

and im sure thats just the tip of a big massive iceberg..So its a difficult situation and can cause a bit of conflict for me as though i wont buy nike, ill be the first to admit that i buy pennys..aghhh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Socks, Knickers and other bits and bobs. I'm not a fan of sporting shoddily fitted, cheapy material Chinese sweatshop manufactured clothes, if I can help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

As everyone else has said here, Pennys is good for some small items but NOT for bigger wardrobe staples. Its the same with H&M, Dunnes, New Look...all those cheaper shops. They get people in the doors due to their ability to quickly produce items that are "in fashion" and for cheap. Definitely have no problem going there but would never buy anything like jeans or everyday tops there. The quality just doesnt stand up to repeat washing and wear. I would go more for a little dress, tights and maybe some outfit-specific shoes from any of those shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

used to buy a lot of clothes in pennys but found the quality has just gotten worse, would buy underwear/pyjamas/accessories/work clothes there but for the rest i would generally go to H&M or A-Wear for jeans, tops etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Dunnes have gotten sooo much better lately- they used to just do frumpy stuff but now do have nice clothes, they are the first place I go to for work clothes anyway.

I love H&M because I love bright colours and I love the patterns on their hoodies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Dreadful shop, dreadful clothes that never last and are usually made from some horrible material. I think buying things there is such a waste of money as its usually one wash and the garment looks nothing like it did when you first bought it. Must point out that I say that and yet haven't been inside one of their shops in more years than I care to remember.

I'm actually surprised that the consensus of people who love fashion on here seems to be "go buy a crappy cheapass outfit from pennys, who cares bout even washing it or if it doesnt fit proper, throw it out and buy another". Sad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I used to go in to Penney's and spend a fortune and buy loads. In the last few motnhs I've been trying to downsize my possessions because I'm going travelling. I found that I had Penney's things I hadn't worn and most things I had worn didn't look the best anymore. I read an atricle recently about this woman that tried to shop environmentally i.e. buy the best quality she could afford so it lasts. She wore penney's for a week to see and had nothing nice to say about the clothes and the shopping habits of people there. The article also said a lot of penney's stuff was being sent to be recycled with the tags still on. Since then I've started using my money to buy better quality clothes and recycled a lot of stuff. Wearing disposable clothes isn't good for the world or me. I found that I didn't appreciate my penney's stuff and didn't care for it where as with my good quality clothes I handwash them and take care. It just suits me alot better as well to invest in clothes now i'm not as fashion conscious as I was when I was 19 so want to buy more staple items.

However, you can't beat Penney's for knickers (but most definitely not bras, their sizes are horrific), socks, pyjamas and vests. Things like this are overpriced in a lot of other places seeming as you wear them out quicker and under your good clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

5 pairs of black socks, only €3.50. Noice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Are you crazy? Some items from Primark have been featured in Vogue recently.

Which proves..? If you're mentioning Vogue to somehow prove that Primark is high end fashion then I'm still not the crazy one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I love Penneys. I dont follow the fashion trends but they do great tank tops, fitted tshirts and skirts. I also love their underwear, socks and tights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Ah would you all stop aout the quality of the clothing... I shop in a huge variety of shops all over town and online and I find that Penneys clothing lasts just as long as any other store..

Okay so they sometimes they dont fit well but I have clothing which ranges from a size 12 - 16.. In each high street store the fits are random... and like wise in each high street store different garments last longer than others.

I recently bought a skirt from river idsland which fell apart the first time I wore it.. But I have a similar skirt from Penneys maybe 2 years or more which still gets the occasional wear..

I often mix penneys items with other stores clothing, but then I also wear an entire outfit from Penneys... Either way I often recieve compliments about my clothing...

I seen that some of you think it receives a certain cliental... Sure thats only obvious People with less money Shop in cheaper stores.

Its just another case of "I wouldn't shop in Lidl or Aldi"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement