Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

training for races and cycling

• 31-10-2019 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭

just curious to see what people's opinions are on this, if people are active (walking/swimming/cycling) outside of their normal running training for 5k/10k/HM/marathon should they factor this in to their training load and reduce their mileage/frequency of training runs, does it effect the quality of those runs and the recovery from them?
    it's something i've wondered about for a while but have never factored it in to my training, i would cycle to/from work every day and would do a decent bit of walking in work and would also do a small bit of swimming, in the build up to DCM 19 i would've been training 6 days a week in the final few weeks while still having to do all the normal cycling and walking, i ran a decent time and was pretty happy with it but can't help but wonder if might've done a bit better by doing a little less training?
    hopefully i'm making sense, would love to see some opinions on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Almost certainly not, unless you're talking about hard efforts for swimming/cycling. Light activity is better for recovery than no activity

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 54,552 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All forms of exercise and sport training can possibly help you in your specific and chosen sport, as long as your specific chosen sport gets the vast majority of your dedication and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

28064212 wrote: »
    Almost certainly not, unless you're talking about hard efforts for swimming/cycling. Light activity is better for recovery than no activity

ah no, the cycling would be at a leisurely pace.
    thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

In a similar vein, what do people here think of training for road races between 10 mile and HM distance on a 3 day week only running program, (3 sessions being quality i.e. threshold/tempo/intervals/hills/long run) combined with cross training e.g. cycling / spinning/ pool running?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

In a similar vein, what do people here think of training for road races between 10 mile and HM distance on a 3 day week only running program, (3 sessions being quality i.e. threshold/tempo/intervals/hills/long run) combined with cross training e.g. cycling / spinning/ pool running?
    Sounds like a pretty good way to get injured.

The only running you're doing is high-intensity, with no easy running to build up your body to handle it. If you're only going to run three times a week, then at most one should be high-intensity

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement