Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Council house list

• 29-10-2019 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I just found last Friday that I am 10th on the council house list. Now, I am kind of confused. Does this mean that I will get my house relatively quickly? If so, how long does it take? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

It will really depend on if they are building in your chosen areas. OR if houses become available.

it will also depend on if anyone is given priority on the list, they will automatically go to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 18 John225

wifey28 wrote: »
    It will really depend on if they are building in your chosen areas. OR if houses become available.

it will also depend on if anyone is given priority on the list, they will automatically go to the top

I am currently on disability allowance and have been waiting for a house for over 10 years.

your welfare status doesnt really play into this, on every list there are people with terminal illness or life limiting illness that will apply for and be granted priority on the list and they will automatically be bumped to the top.

so its jsut a case of suitable husing becomming available, for eg if your alone and looking for a one bed and they build a 12 house estate of 3 beds then people behind you on the list will get the offers as the house is deemed too big for you.

Same would be said if you were a family with 6 children(5 boys and 1 girl) and only all 2 or 3 beds were built, these would be deemed too small in most cases so again youd be passed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

my daughter went on 'The List' a year ago , was told it would be 5 years before she MIGHT get a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

John225 wrote: »
    I just found last Friday that I am 10th on the council house list. Now, I am kind of confused. Does this mean that I will get my house relatively quickly? If so, how long does it take? Thanks!

It will never be that as it will be owned by the council,unless of course you buy it you'll be a tenant. Waiting periods of 10-15 years are getting more and more common.

• Advertisement

your welfare status doesnt really play into this, on every list there are people with terminal illness or life limiting illness that will apply for and be granted priority on the list and they will automatically be bumped to the top.

so its jsut a case of suitable husing becomming available, for eg if your alone and looking for a one bed and they build a 12 house estate of 3 beds then people behind you on the list will get the offers as the house is deemed too big for you.

Same would be said if you were a family with 6 children(5 boys and 1 girl) and only all 2 or 3 beds were built, these would be deemed too small in most cases so again youd be passed over.

Yes i'm aware of similar to this, a family of 2 adults, 8 children ranging from 1 to 13 years old, boys sharing with girls who are menstruating, still on the council waiting list 13 years with no offer in sight, council social worker has even drafted up a report. Transfers are as difficult to achieve even if one is already a council tenant.

It will never be that as it will be owned by the council,unless of course you buy it you'll be a tenant. Waiting periods of 10-15 years are getting more and more common.

after 12 months you are given the option to purchase the house from the council, and begin making more like mortgage payments instead of rent payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

decky1 wrote: »
    my daughter went on 'The List' a year ago , was told it would be 5 years before she MIGHT get a house.

Was on the list 5 years in fingal. Got a letter to say I'm 900 and something.
    We didn't wait to get called :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

If you're not using CBL then it'll be much harder for you. 90 percent of properties go up on that.

after 12 months you are given the option to purchase the house from the council, and begin making more like mortgage payments instead of rent payments

Correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

My sister was told she was "top of the list" for about 2 years. I think they sometimes tell people that to fob them off. She was after applying for a transfer-she got it last month after 3 years waiting for a transfer. Nice brand new build she got.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Filepio

Was on the list 5 years in fingal. Got a letter to say I'm 900 and something.
    We didn't wait to get called :)

Hi, how did you find out what position you are on the list? I'm on it 9 years and have no idea where I am on it as they say they dont tell people anymore.

Advertisement