Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

!!!!!!!!! Paula's World Record Gone !!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

walshb wrote: »
    Fair play to Paula. She was there to greet and congratulate the new record holder...

Yes they all acknowledge records can be broken. Johnson was in awe when Bolt beat his 200m record. However Cram was not so much when Mo beat his 1500m British record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Kipchoge yesterday looked like he could run another marathon straight away. I have never seen a person look so “fresh” after 26 mikes, hence my not really caring as much...

Why so walsh? He is going slightly slower than tempo pace (close to 10 mile race pace). If you keep lactate levels close to 4mmol/L you will run fast yet control.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,561 ✭✭✭✭walshb

YFlyer wrote: »
    Why so walsh? He is going slightly slower than tempo pace (close to 10 mile race pace). If you keep lactate levels close to 4mmol/L you will run fast yet control.

Agreed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Is it a world record if there were male pace makers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

dna_leri wrote: »

Beats Paula WR from 03 but the women’s only one still stands at 2.17 by Mary Keitany. Would imagine London will be target to take that one down especially given pacers peeled off a lot earlier than they did with Paula In Chicago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

dna_leri wrote: »
    IAAF recognise two sets of records for women:
    • Mx: mixed gender race
    • Wo: women only race
    Mary Keitany still holds the women only record at 2:17:01

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

28064212 wrote: »
    Moves to second on the Irish all-time list, only Catherina McKiernan (2:22:23) ahead of her, great performance

And the elephant in the room which is conveniently forgotten by some. Sinead Diver is 2 and a half minutes ahead of her.

That's a splendid performance by Fionnuala. Always felt 2:26 was there for her but she had disappointed in previous attempts at non championship marathons. She has now lived up to her potential over the distance. I wonder is a top 10 in Tokyo a genuine possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Chivito550 wrote: »
    And the elephant in the room which is conveniently forgotten by some. Sinead Diver is 2 and a half minutes ahead of her.
    Not forgotten, just not relevant except in a "what if" discussion
    That's a splendid performance by Fionnuala. Always felt 2:26 was there for her but she had disappointed in previous attempts at non championship marathons. She has now lived up to her potential over the distance. I wonder is a top 10 in Tokyo a genuine possibility.
    Yes, looks like a very realistic goal now, great to see

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Not forgotten, just not relevant except in a "what if" discussionYes, looks like a very realistic goal now, great to see

Depends how it's phrased. Seeing a lot of people say that she's now the second fastest Irishwoman in history, which is not true. Sinead Diver is an Irish citizen.

Second on the Irish all-time list is definitely a better way to phrase it (which is how you put it I acknowledge).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Depends how it's phrased. Seeing a lot of people say that she's now the second fastest Irishwoman in history, which is not true. Sinead Diver is an Irish citizen.

Second on the Irish all-time list is definitely a better way to phrase it (which is how you put it I acknowledge).

Imagine if we get two irish girls in the top 10 at Tokyo. That be some achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    And she wasn't even out of breath when she crossed the line... yeah amazing eh... just like Ayana's 10k WR :-(

Her marathon PB in 2015 was 2:47 and 2016 her half PB was 1:14.

Some improvement but you know she will get busted somewhere down the line

Imagine if we get two irish girls in the top 10 at Tokyo. That be some achievement.

It could well happen.

Conditions will be as rough as they come. As bad as Doha with the heat and humidity, and then throw in direct sunlight for good measure.

Diver mentioned possibly having to go somewhere leading into it to prepare for the warm conditions, as the Melbourne winter isn't going to be good preparation. Definitely tricky when you are in winter preparing for it.

1. Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, shocked to see Paula's world record go, I wasn't expecting it to happen in Chicago. I hadn't heard anything about a possible world record attempt either, but maybe I simply wasn't paying attention? Didn't think it could happen in Chicago either, I thought only London or Berlin were possibilities. Either way it's a stunning record, amazing Paula's lasted as long as it did, and it seems Kosgei can and intends on going a lot quicker. She said yesterday she thinks 2:10 is possible for a woman!

I always thought either Keitany, Cheruiyot or Dibaba would be the ones to break the record, but at the ages of 38, 36 and 34 with baby #2 on the way respectively I think they can all forget about this new record. The next person to break the record will obviously be Kosgei again herself, but it's difficult to see anyone else coming even remotely close to the time she just set. Can't wait for the day Ayana or Hassan step up to the marathon :pac:

2. Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wow, shocked to see Paula's world record go, I wasn't expecting it to happen in Chicago. I hadn't heard anything about a possible world record attempt either, but maybe I simply wasn't paying attention? Didn't think it could happen in Chicago either, I thought only London or Berlin were possibilities. Either way it's a stunning record, amazing Paula's lasted as long as it did, and it seems Kosgei can and intends on going a lot quicker. She said yesterday she thinks 2:10 is possible for a woman!

I always thought either Keitany, Cheruiyot or Dibaba would be the ones to break the record, but at the ages of 38, 36 and 34 with baby #2 on the way respectively I think they can all forget about this new record. The next person to break the record will obviously be Kosgei again herself, but it's difficult to see anyone else coming even remotely close to the time she just set. Can't wait for the day Ayana or Hassan step up to the marathon :pac:

Kosgei performance in the half last sept had set the tone she was going for it.

3. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

I thought the best part of it was her more or less ignoring Paula after the finish when she showed up for the photo op.

4. Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Her marathon PB in 2015 was 2:47 and 2016 her half PB was 1:14.

Some improvement but you know she will get busted somewhere down the line

Looked oh so similar to a cycling finish in the late 90 , early 00s. Not exactly rocket science, rocket fuel would be more accurate :-(
      Only a matter of time unfortunately.

5. Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Looked oh so similar to a cycling finish in the late 90 , early 00s. Not exactly rocket science, rocket fuel would be more accurate :-(
      Only a matter of time unfortunately.

To make it better, her time is the closest to the mens record in Athletics bar one. Flo Jo was 9.5% and her's is 10.34%

6. Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

To make it better, her time is the closest to the mens record in Athletics bar one. Flo Jo was 9.5% and her's is 10.34%

Flojo's 10.49 is significantly wind aided. It should not be counted. 10.61 is the time that should be used for comparison purposes.

7. Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Flojo's 10.49 is significantly wind aided. It should not be counted. 10.61 is the time that should be used for comparison purposes.

So Kosgei standss out even more. What's your opinion on her?

8. Registered Users Posts: 54,561 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The farther the distances the closer the percentage differences between males and females, generally.

Flo jo was a low 10.5 runner I'd say. The wind meter in the U.S trials was an issue, but we cannot know for certain her true best time...

9. Advertisement
    10. Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Not sure 100m, men's or women's, is a good place to start comparing clean athletes!

11. Registered Users Posts: 54,561 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We don't know the readings.....

Is there any verifiable proof that she had a full on tailwind, and if so, its spreed; or maybe cross winds or even slight in your face winds during parts of the race.

12. Registered Users Posts: 54,561 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure 100m, men's or women's, is a good place to start comparing clean athletes!

Bolt's 9.58 is clean....why not start here? Forget the ones slower. The fastest ever is clean...

13. Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The farther the distances the closer the percentage differences between males and females, generally.

Flo jo was a low 10.5 runner I'd say. The wind meter in the U.S trials was an issue, but we cannot know for certain her true best time...

Next closest is the 400m time!!

14. Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

We don't know the readings.....

Is there any verifiable proof that she had a full on tailwind, and if so, its spreed; or maybe cross winds or even slight in your face winds during parts of the race.

The triple jump that took place at the same time had readings of +5.0.

It was a quarter final heat FFS. Common sense lad.

15. Registered Users Posts: 54,561 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The triple jump that took place at the same time had readings of +5.0.

It was a quarter final heat FFS. Common sense lad.

Quarter final.........

What has this to do with it?

Carl Lewis ran his fastest ever time in a QF I believe. 1991 QF heats 100.

It too was wind aided.

16. Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

So Kosgei standss out even more. What's your opinion on her?

That would make sense. For years we've heard people harping on about the longer the distance the closer the gap between men and women.

My personal opinion is these shoes are ruining marathon running.

She could be doping of course, but you could make allegations about great performances in any sport. Tennis anyone?

17. Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Quarter final.........

What has this to do with it?

Carl Lewis ran his fastest ever time in a QF I believe. 1991 QF heats 100.

It too was wind aided.

No athlete goes flat out in a national championship quarter final heat. Come on!

Nobody takes her 10.49 seriously. The clock malfunctioned. What odds she got a 0.0 (not even a 0.1 or a 0.2) at the same time the triple jumpers were getting 5.0.

Im afraid you're wasting your time arguing this one. Save your energy for something worth arguing over.

18. Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That would make sense. For years we've heard people harping on about the longer the distance the closer the gap between men and women.

My personal opinion is these shoes are ruining marathon running.

She could be doping of course, but you could make allegations about great performances in any sport. Tennis anyone?

I agree I do think the shoes are ruining the marathon.

Don't want to bring another sport in here, they all have the same issues once money is on the table

19. Advertisement
    20. Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Bolt's 9.58 is clean....why not start here? Forget the ones slower. The fastest ever is clean...

Just because he hasn't been caught doesn't make him clean.
      Association with Heredia casts a huge cloud.

Advertisement