Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marathon Nutrition / First timer advice.

• 13-10-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Will be embarking on training for my first Marathon soon.
    The more I read and research - the more confused i become!

Was hoping to get some advice on firstly, nutrition.
    Im on about 30-35 miles a week now regularly.

But over the winter i want to increase my mileage to around 40 weekly.
    I have heard a lot of stuff about training the body to run on no carbs for some of training.
    Would this be recommended for first - timers?
    I was tbinking about 1 weekly pre breakfast slow and steady run for maybe 30 then 40 then 50 mins eventually . A good idea?

Secondly, i have read about fuelling for long runs but every second article leads me to NOT overly fuelling for long runs ie to increase running efficiency.

Any opinions?
    I had a pretty slow long run of 14 miles - 2.15 hrs 6mins per km pace after a light breakfast and gel on halfway mark. Should i be using gels at all before 2 hours on my long runs?
    Or am i over thinking it?

My intention is to get monthly 14 - 16 milers in before i start the training cycle in earnest around December( May marathon in Limerick ). . . 10 milers on other weeks for now.
    Would love to get some feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

The idea behind using gels and other fuel on runs where you don't physically require them is to practise what works. Does it go down ok, how was the stomach after, does it need washing down with water etc..

You may get conflicting advice around running on empty.
    Personally I think it's a good idea and a good habit to get into, however the adaptations take so long to occur in the body that it's pretty much pointless for you at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Lazare wrote: »
    The idea behind using gels and other fuel on runs where you don't physically require them is to practise what works. Does it go down ok, how was the stomach after, does it need washing down with water etc..

You may get conflicting advice around running on empty.
    Personally I think it's a good idea and a good habit to get into, however the adaptations take so long to occur in the body that it's pretty much pointless for you at this stage.

I agree, it’s a premature optimisation. Increase your running volume comfortably. Be well fed and watered before you run. Once you’re running regularly, try a fasted run to see what it’s like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Or am i over thinking it?

Short answer is yes to this.

Putting the actual hard work of training is far more important. All sorts of nutrition strategies work for people, from gels every 20 minutes, to eating nothing whatsoever. Everyone needs to put the hard work in though.

There's plenty of other areas of "nutrition" that would also likely to have a bigger impact, such as general quality of diet, and alcohol consumption.

There's also other non-nutrition aspects that could also have a bigger impact, such as sleep and stress.

But, fundamentally, this is all just marginal gains compared to simply getting out and getting in the best training you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mountain_M78

Excellent advice guys thanks. I thought as a first timer it would be a bit much to start trying this out - for more experienced marathoners i know its par for the course.

My other question - a harder one - is for someone who aims to run a max of 40 miles per week - i hope to hover around 35 until the new year - which trai ing plan is best for me?
    I much prefer the idea of getting 2 or 3 20 milers in for my own confidence.
    Or do i need one.? Just slow and steady 40 miles a week(5 runs) including a gradually longer long run will hopefully suffice??
    To finish - that is - no time really wanted.

Some plans are extremely light on mileage .
    Plus i am in the PRE- plan stage ( 8 months from race day) should i take a step back and rest before getti into training or simply keep it up?

I have done 180-200k per month for over a year and a half.
    Now for this winter i want to increase monthly mileage by 10 per cent.

Cheers guys.

Putting the actual hard work of training is far more important. All sorts of nutrition strategies work for people, from gels every 20 minutes, to eating nothing whatsoever. Everyone needs to put the hard work in though.

There's plenty of other areas of "nutrition" that would also likely to have a bigger impact, such as general quality of diet, and alcohol consumption.

There's also other non-nutrition aspects that could also have a bigger impact, such as sleep and stress.

But, fundamentally, this is all just marginal gains compared to simply getting out and getting in the best training you can.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Excellent advice guys thanks. I thought as a first timer it would be a bit much to start trying this out - for more experienced marathoners i know its par for the course.

My other question - a harder one - is for someone who aims to run a max of 40 miles per week - i hope to hover around 35 until the new year - which trai ing plan is best for me?
    I much prefer the idea of getting 2 or 3 20 milers in for my own confidence.
    Or do i need one.? Just slow and steady 40 miles a week(5 runs) including a gradually longer long run will hopefully suffice??
    To finish - that is - no time really wanted.

Some plans are extremely light on mileage .
    Plus i am in the PRE- plan stage ( 8 months from race day) should i take a step back and rest before getti into training or simply keep it up?

I have done 180-200k per month for over a year and a half.
    Now for this winter i want to increase monthly mileage by 10 per cent.

Cheers guys.

Plans that are light on mileage exist for a reason and light on mileage is all relative too of course - someone who currently runs 70+mpw might think a plan that tops out at 40mpw is light on mileage ;)

It really depends on your background and what kind of base you have what you will be able to handle without becoming injured. There's no point in doing a plan that your mate tells you is brilliant if it's a 70mpw plan and you're currently doing 20mpw! It's very much individual. You need to look at what you're doing now and try to find a plan that is a reasonable step up from that.

I think plans are a good idea for someone training for their first marathon. It will give you a bit of structure. Some you could look at are Hal Higdon, he has a few Novice plans (novice 1 & novice 2 anyhow, possibly others). You could also look at the Novice thread pinned here - there is a Boards plans there which might suit you although you won't have the support of the group.

Being 8 months out from your target event you have a lot of time and should consider training for a 10k or half Marathon first which would give you a nice base going into marathon training and will get you used to the structure of following a training plan and the variety of elements that it will include.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mountain_M78

ariana` wrote: »
    Plans that are light on mileage exist for a reason and light on mileage is all relative too of course - someone who c7urrently runs 70+mpw might think a plan that tops out at 40mpw is light on mileage ;)

It really depends on your background and what kind of base you have what you will be able to handle without becoming injured. There's no point in doing a plan that your mate tells you is brilliant if it's a 70mpw plan and you're currently doing 20mpw! It's very much individual. You need to look at what you're doing now and try to find a plan that is a reasonable step up from that.

I think plans are a good idea for someone training for their first marathon. It will give you a bit of structure. Some you could look at are Hal Higdon, he has a few Novice plans (novice 1 & novice 2 anyhow, possibly others). You could also look at the Novice thread pinned here - there is a Boards plans there which might suit you although you won't have the support of the group.

Being 8 months out from your target event you have a lot of time and should consider training for a 10k or half Marathon first which would give you a nice base going into marathon training and will get you used to the structure of following a training plan and the variety of elements that it will include.

Best of luck.

Thanks again. Yes - my belief is to try to slot into a decent plan . Totally a blank page for me. No denying that Im an absolute beginner in marathon terms.
    10ks are a good idea. Im kind of inbetween totally novice and novice 2 in terms of running.
    Have 4 half marathons under my belt ranging from 1.42 to 1.32. 10k times of around 40 -41 mins and 5k times of 19.00 -20 or do when going all out. . A few 10 mile races in past 12 months also.

I think Higdon Novice 2 might suit me - i guess i just have to keep doing what im doing and simply incrase my mileage gradually.
    As you have said - i have plenty of time.
    I suppose as a beginner its a case of a million questions and thus over thinking.
    Gotte start somewhere!

Cheers for your help

Advertisement