Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

eastwest wrote: »
    So it would appear that the sole legacy left to the west of Ireland by **/*** is that they put up barriers to funding in the west of Ireland, despite all the weight of evidence that makes it clear that a greenway won't have any impact on any decision regarding investment in new railway projects.
    From that document it is clear that the west was going to get a big slice of the funding, until the intervention stopped it.

Does the content masked by asterisks fall under the ginger beer/lemon curd sandwiches/chicken dinner ruling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

The Tarka Valley Railway , Devon UK being created alongside the Tarka Trail cyclepath. It can be done.

Before and after pictures

bideford-1.jpg
    bideford-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Isambard wrote: »
    The Tarka Valley Railway , Devon UK being created alongside the Tarka Trail cyclepath. It can be done.

Before and after pictures

bideford-1.jpg
    bideford-2.jpg

Are those pictures been taken in the same direction/perspective, where is the bridge in the top picture, but yes your point is well made, it is a pity Mayo County Council can't take this view for the proposed Velo-Rail section of the closed railway on the Western Rail Trail route 6km north and south of Kiltimagh. That's the project with no planning permission that has received a 500k bung from Minister Ring in three tranches of 200k, 100k and more recently another 200k.

Oh and don't you mean it the other way round, the trail is being created alongside the closed old railway not the railway being created alongside the trail, what came first as they say, the chicken or the egg.

It isn't uncommon for twin track disused railway lines to be rebuilt with one track and a parallel path.
    Unless the original single line track was built with future dialling in mind, there would be great difficulty in running a parallel path alongside a rebuilt railway.

westtip wrote: »
    Are those pictures been taken in the same direction/perspective, where is the bridge in the top picture, but yes your point is well made, it is a pity Mayo County Council can't take this view for the proposed Velo-Rail section of the closed railway on the Western Rail Trail route 6km north and south of Kiltimagh. That's the project with no planning permission that has received a 500k bung from Minister Ring in three tranches of 200k, 100k and more recently another 200k.

Oh and don't you mean it the other way round, the trail is being created alongside the closed old railway not the railway being created alongside the trail, what came first as they say, the chicken or the egg.

the bridge is there is the trees, look properly. The railway is being created alongside the Tarka Trail, a cycle route along a former railway. I thought I said that.... taken from almost exactly the same spot.

• Advertisement

dolanbaker wrote: »
    It isn't uncommon for twin track disused railway lines to be rebuilt with one track and a parallel path.
    Unless the original single line track was built with future dialling in mind, there would be great difficulty in running a parallel path alongside a rebuilt railway.

it's a cycle path with a railway line being (re) built alongside it.

it's a cycle path with a railway line being (re) built alongside it.
    Yes, but the point is that these types of rail rebuilds only work well if the original trackbed was for two tracks (or designed to be expanded to two tracks). On a light railway like the WRC, much of the route was not designed to be expanded to twin track so there is no space for both.

the point is it is a cyclepath that is having a railway line re-instated.

The formation across the both looks to be about 12 feet, easily accomodated on the WRC, the formation of which is quite wide. Their website says that the cyclepath may need to be moved by up to 6 feet in places. I imagine it's only the bridges that are the pinch points, and there aren't that many of them on the WRC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

the point is it is a cyclepath that is having a railway line re-instated.
    Ah go away! Sure I thought that has never been done anywhere by anybody!

Re-instating railway lines on Greenways indeed! :)
    I imagine it's only the bridges that are the pinch points, and there aren't that many of them on the WRC
    And there's one less now at Turloughmore ;)

475595.png

(From Google Maps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Yes, but the point is that these types of rail rebuilds only work well if the original trackbed was for two tracks (or designed to be expanded to two tracks). On a light railway like the WRC, much of the route was not designed to be expanded to twin track so there is no space for both.
    The expected investment on the WRC to revive it as a railway is half a billion euro. That's if they mistakenly tried to use the old alignment which is totally unsuitable - but that's a different story. It would be fiscally short sighted and a carbon retrograde not to plan for cycleway alongside all reopened rail lines, whether new or existing alignments. The either / or argument should be put in the bin once and for all.

• Advertisement

Muckyboots wrote: »
    The expected investment on the WRC to revive it as a railway is half a billion euro. That's if they mistakenly tried to use the old alignment which is totally unsuitable - but that's a different story. It would be fiscally short sighted and a carbon retrograde not to plan for cycleway alongside all reopened rail lines, whether new or existing alignments. The either / or argument should be put in the bin once and for all.
    It would make more sense to simply invest in cycleways beside existing roads around the country, as in proper wide ones that cyclists ould actually use as opposed to staying on the road as it is easier to ride on.

It would make more sense to simply invest in cycleways beside existing roads around the country, as in proper wide ones that cyclists ould actually use as opposed to staying on the road as it is easier to ride on.

no no no the whole idea is to get away from roads. They are not intended to be transport corridors, they are for leisure. I'm amazed you don't get that

no no no the whole idea is to get away from roads. They are not intended to be transport corridors, they are for leisure. I'm amazed you don't get that
    You can use parallel cycle routes to minor roads for leisure you know.

where's the pleasure in riding alongside traffic with the noise and the fumes? What about the danger from crossroads and people's drives? Parked vehicles blocking the cycle lane?

It's not about getting from A to B

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

where's the pleasure in riding alongside traffic with the noise and the fumes? What about the danger from crossroads and people's drives? Parked vehicles blocking the cycle lane?

It's not about getting from A to B

fencing will sort the people parking on the cycle lane issue. apart from a few exceptions, i don't see leasure alone being enough to sustain a lot of cycle ways, which is why you need a commuter base as well, which is why the building alongside roads suggestion makes a lot of sense as it's where a lot of commuters will be traveling.
    as i see it, cycling is a minority activity and will likely remain so, hence why if we are investing in the infrastructure we need to invest in infrastructure that will get the most users possible for the buck. so cycle ways along side roads, cycle ways in towns and cities, and cycle ways in areas that have things to genuinely attract people to those areas. i really think there are better projects to invest in then a greenway along the railway from galway to sligo. the dublin cycle network for a start.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

oh come on, how many commuters are there going to be along the WRC who would use a bike?

You can't fence miles of road off for cyclists, there are other users!

oh come on, how many commuters are there going to be along the WRC who would use a bike?

exactly. which is why there are way way more deserving projects such as the dublin cycling network and others.
    You can't fence miles of road off for cyclists, there are other users!

you obviously missed the proposal to build cycle ways alongside the roads, and then put up fences to stop people parking on the cycle ways. so no fencing off roads or depriving road users.

it's not about a cycling network for Dublin , it's about facilities for tourists, to attract new visitors into an area. I don't know if you don't get that or it just suits your agenda to ignore it.

Go visit somewhere like Dungarvan with plenty of cyclists and walkers in evidence and new businesses opening to cater for them. Then pop down to Rosslare and see the number of vehicles arriving with bikes aboard. It's a big potential growth area.It's got nothing to do with cycle lanes for urban cyclists.

it's not about a cycling network for Dublin , it's about facilities for tourists, to attract new visitors into an area. I don't know if you don't get that or it just suits your agenda to ignore it.

Go visit somewhere like Dungarvan with plenty of cyclists and walkers in evidence and new businesses opening to cater for them. Then pop down to Rosslare and see the number of vehicles arriving with bikes aboard. It's a big potential growth area.It's got nothing to do with cycle lanes for urban cyclists.

it's about cycling infrastructure full stop. you need a few markets to make that infrastructure worth while.
    cycling infrastructure just for tourists has as i see it, limited potential really, as there are only going to be a small number of areas where these tourists will want to go. that is why spending the funds on cycling infrastructure that will have a few markets is the best use of the funding.
    the reason the Dungarvan greenway has had any success is because there is quite decent sceenery around the area. ultimately it does not prove that other similar projects will be successful. and really it's over all success should be judged on what happens long term rather then the short term. i really don't believe it is comparible to a cycle way through bland country side.

that's the offical WoT line alright.

The fact is the countryside of Ireland in all it's forms is very attractive. There are people who have drained their own bogs , for instance, who revel in visiting Ireland's. The joys of the bland countryside would be the peace and quiet and the flora and flora. There's loads to see when you pass though at a slow pace and look around you

I don't think you understand what people want, they don't all want diddyeye music and Guinness.

• Advertisement

that's the offical WoT line alright.

i wouldn't know given i haven't anything to do with them. nor do i care what their official lines may be tbh.
    The fact is the countryside of Ireland in all it's forms is very attractive. There are people who have drained their own bogs , for instance, who revel in visiting Ireland's. The joys of the bland countryside would be the peace and quiet and the flora and flora. There's loads to see when you pass though at a slow pace and look around you.

I don't think you understand what people want, they don't all want diddyeye music and Guinness.

the thing is what they want and so much more is already available with the infrastructure to cater to them to boot. i'm not sure what somewhere like tuam etc has got to offer that waterford and dungarven haven't got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

i wouldn't know given i haven't anything to do with them. nor do i care what their official lines may be tbh.

the thing is what they want and so much more is already available with the infrastructure to cater to them to boot. i'm not sure what somewhere like tuam etc has got to offer that waterford and dungarven haven't got?

Tuam is on the Mizen-Malin route. That in itself is enough, but there's more, lots more.

Its all about having long distance routes that are interconnected, it doesn't have to be stunning scenery every inch of the way, its about people getting on bike in Dublin and say I am going to cycle at a leisurely pace to lets say Achill, via the Dublin Galway greenway turn north at Athenry and turn west to connect with the great western Greenway lets say at Swinford. It could become something that becomes our own camino like a right of passage, meet people along the way, stop in hotels, hostels, campsites and guest houses. Eat frugally eat luxuriously, picnic or restaurant, cafe or pub, or bring your own camping cooker. It will appeal to so many ages, it is such an opportunity that is not being grasped. do it at 16 or 86.....do it alone, do it with a partner, do it with a family. It truly has universal appeal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

westtip wrote: »
    Its all about having long distance routes that are interconnected, it doesn't have to be stunning scenery every inch of the way, its about people getting on bike in Dublin and say I am going to cycle at a leisurely pace to lets say Achill, via the Dublin Galway greenway turn north at Athenry and turn west to connect with the great western Greenway lets say at Swinford. It could become something that becomes our own camino like a right of passage, meet people along the way, stop in hotels, hostels, campsites and guest houses. Eat frugally eat luxuriously, picnic or restaurant, cafe or pub, or bring your own camping cooker. It will appeal to so many ages, it is such an opportunity that is not being grasped. do it at 16 or 86.....do it alone, do it with a partner, do it with a family. It truly has universal appeal.

Exactly.

Even if you do it alone, you are not alone - there is companionship available from the other like minded participants you meet on the way. The more popular it gets, the better it gets - up to a point. Popularity will give rise to food and drink stops, B&Bs, and other good things, etc. Scenery is only one of the drivers for participation.

Participation could be the driver in itself - why do I see people pounding the urban pavement to keep fit? It certainly is not the scenery.

I'm not a cyclist, in fact i'm a rail fan, but I can see the attraction for doing what westtip describes.

Tourism is one of the few areas we have where there can be real growth, real jobs for a quite small investment.

This rail line is dead and has little prospect of revival, so let's make use of a State asset. Make provision to replace the rail line alongside a greenway by all means, but lets get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

I'm not a cyclist, in fact i'm a rail fan, but I can see the attraction for doing what westtip describes.

Tourism is one of the few areas we have where there can be real growth, real jobs for a quite small investment.

This rail line is dead and has little prospect of revival, so let's make use of a State asset. Make provision to replace the rail line alongside a greenway by all means, but lets get on with it.

Except that it costs one third of the 'alongside' option to put the trail on the existing stone base, as they found out in Sligo when they looked at the costings. This stone will be coming up anyway if they build a railway, so why not use it now -- it's in place, and it's free.
    If a railway is ever built in the future the greenway (even if alongside the tracks as in Mullingar-Athlone) will have to be relocated to make way for the railway, but there's no point in incurring that kind of expense at this stage when a railway is unlikely.
    But I agree, we should just get on with it, but in a way that gives best value for money for the taxpayer, by using what is there instead of creating a completely new trail alongside the existing scrap tracks.
    The idea proposed by **/*** that we should retain the tracks ad infinitum to appease their handful of supporters is childish and they need to move on from that. It's like leaving a comfort blanket with a child who is going off to college because he's always had it and might cry if he lost it. Sometimes it's kinder to take it away and make him face reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

That's almost exactly the argument put forward by some of the Waterford Councillors who opposed the greenway there, suggesting that nobody would want to come to Kilmacthomas when there was already a greenway in Mayo and when there was no scenery in Waterford! A quarter of a million people thought differently in the first year of operation, and those nine 'anti' councillors are very silent about their opposition now.
    Their other arguments, about rural crime and tipping of rubbish haven't turned out to be true either, but maybe they'll admit how wrong they got it all, one of these days.

i'd suggest there is little to no ballast which you could describe as a stone base on this line. Cheaply and lightly built line.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

+1 to the last several posts pointing out the need for networked greenways The fact that scenery isn't the only attraction and that greenways are a wind for tourism. Agree with all that but there's a further point, locals need somewhere safe to walk/cycle. Road cyclists especially if they're in a club and this cycle in groups tend to be happy to use roads to cycle on (though I daresay they'd like conditions to be better) since they can travel at speed. However, tens of thousands of other people need safe segregated walking and cycling infrastructure.

We cycled from Mullingar to Enfield today on the Royal Canal Greenway and in spite of, some rough surfaces, annoying gates and lack of benches for a break, it was a joy. One section is parallel to the N4 and there you were aware of traffic noise but the sections away from traffic were so peaceful. You can chat to your companion or think your own thoughts, watch the herons or the fishermen ad greet other walkers/cyclists. We met lots of dog-walkers, fewer cyclists but these included 3 lots of parent-child combinations. I have the impression most people we met were locals. They like people in Tuam, Athenry, Collooney , wherever need Greenways all the time , not jsut when thy go on their holidays to Waterford or Westport.

Had to do last 5 km on the R148 as canal path not accessible from Fureys pub onwards. The contrast was total, great there was a hard shoulder but the noise and speed of constant traffic meant it was an exercise in endurance rather than the pleasure the rest had been.

Another point re the "needed more in Dublin" argument; couldn't agree more re Dub and every urban area but with <2% of transport budget currently allocated to cycling I think we can have both.

• Advertisement

i'd suggest there is little to no ballast which you could describe as a stone base on this line. Cheaply and lightly built line.

Exactly, the actual existing railway line is worthless as a railway, even if the fairy EU godmother gave 200 million to build it - which won't happen by the way despite what you might hear from certain political quartermasters - the whole track would have to be lifted and relaid - and then there is the debate is this route/alignment fit for purpose for a modern railway. This is what is so frustrating, the current so called "infrastructure" is nothing but a pile of scrap as far as a modern railway is concerned. Why the argument use the route now for greenway and railway when and if at all possible is constantly shouted down as the deathknell of the railway is so frustrating, would West on Track never listen and realise this parrot is long since dead. Very dead.

Advertisement