Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IE's 071 Class.

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

082 was let loose for a test run on Sunday to the Sallins loop and back to Inchicore. First time out in around 18 months or so I think.

I saw 082 on a westbound container train on Tuesday. It passed the Curragh at 1640, which I think is an unusual time for the IWT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

tabbey wrote: »
    I saw 082 on a westbound container train on Tuesday. It passed the Curragh at 1640, which I think is an unusual time for the IWT.

Could be a case of the afternoon liners resuming, inbound yesterday evening at PPT at 17.55.

082 still sounds the same too, judging by the videos I've seen online. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭supersaint3

Well, after a long wait and a query in this thread about when I could see one go thru Maynooth, I finally experienced an 071 again for the first time in a long time, quite by accident at lunch time!

Drove down to Ballybough to get a car battery fitted and standing outside the place I heard a beautiful rhythmic rumble! Looked up and over the bridge on Summerhill Parade passes an 071 with a container train!

Painted up in the orange revival, lovely and clean, not sure which machine.

What a sight and sound!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If it was just black and orange is was 071, if it also had the white "tippex" lines it was 073.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭supersaint3

If it was just black and orange is was 071, if it also had the white "tippex" lines it was 073.

No Tippex, 071 so! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that one annoys me as it's completely the wrong shade of orange to be imitating the original supertrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

No Tippex, 071 so! :cool:

073 is on the 3rd IWT link this week, was probably that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

that one annoys me as it's completely the wrong shade of orange to be imitating the original supertrain.

Always one whinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Long time since I posted in this thread! For the first time ever I saw an 071 in my local station of Maynooth just now, took me by surprise didn't catch the no but it was hauling the RPSI set just coasted through so I almost didn't hear nearly missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

tnegun wrote: »
    Long time since I posted in this thread! For the first time ever I saw an 071 in my local station of Maynooth just now, took me by surprise didn't catch the no but it was hauling the RPSI set just coasted through so I almost didn't hear nearly missed it!

074 is hauling the RPSI tour today.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

I think you'll find more diesel on the tour than planned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

91wx763 wrote: »
    I think you'll find more diesel on the tour than planned

If you are talking about Sundays Waterford - Limerick - Waterford, then yes it will be 071 hauled due to 85 being too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

If you are talking about Sundays Waterford - Limerick - Waterford, then yes it will be 071 hauled due to 85 being too heavy.

85 has failed this morning 😧

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Did the multiple working trial of 111s mentioned above work out? Was wondering if IE might look at doubling up 071s for heavier/longer freight operations

As for the railtour, a direct Waterford-Limerick-Waterford service, or any service east of Limerick Junction on a Sunday or bank holiday, is something I wish IE could figure out a way to accomplish again at some point in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

dowlingm wrote: »
    Did the multiple working trial of 111s mentioned above work out? Was wondering if IE might look at doubling up 071s for heavier/longer freight operations

As for the railtour, a direct Waterford-Limerick-Waterford service, or any service east of Limerick Junction on a Sunday or bank holiday, is something I wish IE could figure out a way to accomplish again at some point in the future...

2nd June Limerick-Waterford-Limerick GAA private special...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

85 has failed this morning ��
    Apparently a damaged brake block that is now repaired for the leg to the Deise.

Double heading of 071s is not permitted on the Ballina branch so this is a non runner.

A lone 201 can handle proposed increased freight loads, and have done in trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Double heading is out really unless buckeye or other rigid couplings are used

The limit on a screw coupling is 360KN, double headed 071 exceeds that by a huge margin.

A set of cravens was badly broken after a double header 201 excursion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Double heading is out really unless buckeye or other rigid couplings are used

The limit on a screw coupling is 360KN, double headed 071 exceeds that by a huge margin.

A set of cravens was badly broken after a double header 201 excursion

There were "rumours" of the broken coupling mechanisms from a double headed 201 on a tour up North years ago, nothing more. The train was fine. There will be an 071+201 double header later this year.

Also the limit is much higher than 360kN. They have two important ratings know as the proof rating and more importantly the ultimate tensile strength rating (aka the breaking load) which will determine the train load and composition including double heading.

The proof rating is the maximum load before what is knows as "plastic deformation" occurs i.e stretching, bending etc. Ultimate is the maximum force before breaking the coupling.

All screw couplings have a minimum 850kN ultimate limit (that is the legal minimum) whilst drawgear has a 1200kN ultimate limit (the legal minimum is actually 1000kN). Proof limits are around 700kN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Double heading of 071s is not permitted on the Ballina branch so this is a non runner.

A lone 201 can handle proposed increased freight loads, and have done in trials.
    thanks, was just wondering if there were enough 201s available and if not whether 2x071 would work.

thanks, was just wondering if there were enough 201s available and if not whether 2x071 would work.

There's enough 201s alright. 234 for example has been basically an IWT only loco for the past 2 months. 225 is close to returning to traffic too.

On the flip side there are now more 071s than ever free with weedspraying duties gone over to the MPV this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

On the flip side there are now more 071s than ever free with weedspraying duties gone over to the MPV this season.

Releasing a grand total of 1 loco which is probably still in the PWD pool being used for other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Advertisement