Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac Help?

• 26-09-2020 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello All,

I’m looking for some advice. We have an iMac 27 inch (late 2013) with processor 3.2. GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB. We were running OS X 10.10: Yosemite on it for years with no problems. In the last few tears it started to slow down, primarily on my partner’s account side. We figured this was because she stored a LOT of photos on her side (she’s an amateur photographer). Eventually it got so slow, we decided to wipe it completely and upload a new IOS on it. We downloaded Catalina. We also purchased new Adobe suite software (photoshop, illustrator and Acrobat) and we hoped for the best. After using it now for a week, it’s slower than it was even before the wipe and it’s driving us nuts.

My question is, is there anything I can do about this? Or is it time to buy a new Mac?

All advice would be greatly received as I know feck all when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

likely your Hard drive. is it full? if so it will do this, but also bear in mind that its really due for replacement as its six years old. if replacing, also buff the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Buy a new SSD hard drive and either replace it in the machine or boot from this new drive. You will effectively have a new machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Agree with the post above. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro that was borderline unusable a few months ago. I bought 16GB of RAM and a new SSD to replace my hard-drive. Works as if it's brand new now.

There's plenty of YouTube tutorials on how to replace the RAM and hard-drive yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I have an almost identical Mac (Late 2013, 3.5GHz i7) but it has a fusion drive and 24GB RAM. Has always been fast, and hasn't slowed down through all of the updates.

Get more RAM (at least 16GB, but 24 is cheap enough now - 4 slots in these Macs, so probably 4+4+0+0 now, so add two 8GBs for 24GB)

An SSD will speed things up even more, but it's time for a new HD anyway, due to age (my HDD failed two months ago, thank god for Time Machine).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Buy a new SSD hard drive and either replace it in the machine or boot from this new drive. You will effectively have a new machine!

I have a late 2012 model that gets a lot of use and I bought a 120gb external SSD that I boot from. It really does make all the difference. Just put the OS and the apps on it and use the original hard drive for storage. Costs about €60 and it's easy enough to DIY. Lots of guides to follow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement