Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behaviour on Brittas Bay Naturist Beach

• 04-07-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I'm a young naturist guy myself and was on Brittas Bay naturist beach (why is it called Brittas Bay when its not actually on that beach) for the first time yesterday. It left a bad taste in my mouth as it is overrun by perverts and very open sexual behaviour.

I have been on naturist beaches all over the world - I would say about 30 now - and they are always the swingers and voyeurs on them, its part and parcel of the lifestyle (although personally I dont consider it a lifestyle). I have no problem with the swingers, but the voyeurs really grate on me and normally they are nude as well but I counted five men (out of approx 20 people there) yesterday who where just wondering up and down fully clothed. Another five were nude. For the first 30 mins they where just hoovering over me and I had to tell two guys to walk on. One was actually standing up and **** himself five yards from where I was lying when I opened my eyes. Like I said I've been to many naturist beaches and you will always see this behaviour but not as aggressive or open as this. When I was leaving I saw two guys having sex with the audience all playing with themselves. As I was walking threw the very large dune there, two guys were looking down on the show and also having a ****.

As they say 'each to their own' but the lack of discretion was just ridiculous.

As I was leaving a large family with under tens were heading to the beach and they stopped me to ask what it was like down there. I told them its a naturist beach, which they were fine with, but I just had to tell them about what was currently going on as well. Can you imagine what they would have thought if they had gone down? Their kids had run on ahead of them all excited about going to the beach so im glad I was able to warn them.

I had been using Currocloe in Wexford but got tired of the handful of voyeurs that use it as well. I have never seen any open sex but I presume thats because it has a wood.

Brittas Bay is listed as one of the best beaches for naturism in Ireland and Ireland itself has been listed as one of the best countries for naturism - do a quick google search - but if this is what people are going to see I am very embarrassed to be Irish right now.

Being nude is very normal but these creeps are ruining it for the genuine few.

Is this the norm on this beach or was yesterday and isolated incident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The topic has received a lot of publicity in recent weeks, so it's possible that there's something of a pervert influx there of people who didn't know the beach existed. There's good reason to believe that it will taper off; People will forget and get bored.

I'm sure this is not something isolated to Ireland - I'm sure naturist beaches the world over have to deal with these weirdos. Have you ever visited a beach outside of Ireland and seen this kind of behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MoBoird

seamus wrote: »
    Have you ever visited a beach outside of Ireland and seen this kind of behaviour?

I have, like I said above around 30 all over the world but no where on the scale I witnessed that day. Brittas Bay has been very well known for a long time so I don't understand why its only happening now.

When the weather is good again i'll be going back and im going to confront these guys and scare them off. The two I told to move on that day left the beach mortified. Its ridiculous and extremely sad that grown men get off this way. Going to take my camera, take photos of them and take them to the Gardai. That level of repressed sexuality is dangerous and the authorities need to be made aware.

**** em, their not going to ruin the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

MoBoird wrote: »
    I have been on naturist beaches all over the world - I would say about 30 now - and they are always the swingers and voyeurs on them, its part and parcel of the lifestyle (although personally I dont consider it a lifestyle). I have no problem with the swingers, but the voyeurs really grate on me and normally they are nude as well but I counted five men (out of approx 20 people there) yesterday who where just wondering up and down fully clothed. Another five were nude. For the first 30 mins they where just hoovering over me and I had to tell two guys to walk on. One was actually standing up and **** himself five yards from where I was lying when I opened my eyes. Like I said I've been to many naturist beaches and you will always see this behaviour but not as aggressive or open as this. When I was leaving I saw two guys having sex with the audience all playing with themselves. As I was walking threw the very large dune there, two guys were looking down on the show and also having a ****.

Why then, in the name of God, do you keep going to them????? :confused:

I've been to many naturist beaches and you will always see this behaviour but not as aggressive or open as this.

And I go because I enjoy being a naturist and im not going top let these freaks stop me. Simple.

Im going to presume your one of them? Why the else would you bother to reply?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Im going to presume your one of them? Why the **** else would you bother to reply?
    Eh thats a bit strong. Maybe chilling out on the OTT defensive mode might help your cause.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Im going to presume your one of them?

:rolleyes:
    Why the **** else would you bother to reply?

I bothered to reply because I cannot fathom why anyone would walk repeatedly into a situation which, by their own admission, is regularly frequented by voyers and pervs.

From your response it seems voyers and pervs don't bother you as long as they are not 'open or agressive'. Therefore the solution here is simple: All you have to do is take yourself back to the beaches where people **** at you from the sand dunes.

where people **** at you from the sand dunes.

lol, good one.

But seriously the behaviour that day was not on and its such a nice beach and area and is very well known in Ireland and abroad. Im a big promoter of naturism and it hurts when it gets dragged into the dirt like this.

You also got to admit your first reply was bloody weird. I can't fathom why you would bother to reply just to give out and ignore my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Unknown Unknown

Is a pubic beach so anyone can go, if people want wants nude beach they shoud get buy private beach for them only, otherswise take good with the bad.

Is a pubic beach so anyone can go, if people want wants nude beach they shoud get buy private beach for them only, otherswise take good with the bad.

Of course anyone can go. Doesn't mean they can behave in a manner that makes people feel uncomfortable or disgusted or offended. Why does a naturist beach cause people to throw away basic social rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is that why they call it a pubic beach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say your main issue here is that naturist beaches in Ireland are technically illegal anyway. That is, you could be arrested for a public order offence for strolling nude around a public beach (or indeed on a private beach which was ordinarily visible to the public).

The freaks who go down to perv know all about this, and know that if phone calls are made, then the Gardai will be down arresting everyone who's wandering around naked. Catch-22 really.

There are no beaches in Ireland designated as "clothing optional" beaches and until the law is changed, there won't be any. However, in the interest of turning a blind eye, as we so often do, certain beaches are simply known for being clothing optional and the Gardai don't do anything about them.

On the continent, such beaches are legal and officially designated, therefore they're not cloak-and-dagger and no doubt have lifeguards or wardens or whatever, which makes them a far more public place and dissuades the perverts from hanging around.

There was an Irish naturist organisation on a number of news channels a few weeks back talking about lobbying for a legal status to naturist beaches in Ireland. Maybe get involved with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

looksee wrote: »
    Is that why they call it a pubic beach?

Aren't ALL beaches/seashore in the Republic of Ireland the property of the State, and therefore public?

Aren't ALL beaches/seashore in the Republic of Ireland the property of the State, and therefore public?

Your missing the tongue in cheek joke with the mis spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

That sounds vile OP. Unfortunately guards can't do anything without getting rid of normal naturists too.

Hopefully the law will be changed

Of course anyone can go. Doesn't mean they can behave in a manner that makes people feel uncomfortable or disgusted or offended. Why does a naturist beach cause people to throw away basic social rules?

Its arguable that people being nude makes other people feel uncomfortable or disgusted or offended, and that naturists are throwing away basic social rules.

I personally don't care either way, but it may be that some of the lurkers are trying to 'shame' you into getting dressed. (I don't really believe that, but its a possibility :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ridiculous that in this day and age that people have to associate all forms of nakedness with sexual desire. People should be free to be naturalists without fearing being perved on by the sexually repressed. It is not acceptable on a beach where women are walking in skimpy bikinis and guys in mini speedos, so it shouldn't be on a naturalist beach either.

Maybe there also needs to be seperate perv orgy beaches designated too :pac:

Its arguable that people being nude makes other people feel uncomfortable or disgusted or offended, and that naturists are throwing away basic social rules

Its not arguable at all, it does make people uncomfortable etc, that's why naturists use the far end of beaches or remote spots. If we could get a legal fully designated beach though we wouldn't have this problem as it would be clearly advertised/signed posted that this is a naturist beach so beware or turn back etc. It would also help to get rid of the freaks as we would no longer have the catch 22 as mentioned above. Quick phone call to the Gardai about the freaks and they'll be gone.

WindSock wrote: »
    Ridiculous that in this day and age that people have to associate all forms of nakedness with sexual desire. People should be free to be naturalists without fearing being perved on by the sexually repressed. It is not acceptable on a beach where women are walking in skimpy bikinis and guys in mini speedos, so it shouldn't be on a naturalist beach either.

Maybe there also needs to be seperate perv orgy beaches designated too :pac:

I agree, but it doesn't alter the fact that there are people who feel that way, and at the moment the law is on their side. I think that mini bikinis and speedos are sexier than everything hanging out anyway, but if people want to go nude, I don't see a problem, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I agree, but it doesn't alter the fact that there are people who feel that way, and at the moment the law is on their side. I think that mini bikinis and speedos are sexier than everything hanging out anyway, but if people want to go nude, I don't see a problem, personally.

You may prefer it but at least you have to show a little restraint when you are on a beach ;)

As for the law not being on naturists side, surely being naked is less a crime than aggressive voyeurism and public masturbation / sexual displays?

I am not arguing for or against naturism, I am simply saying that the law at the moment is on the side of the non-naturists. And also it is in fact possible to argue that some people may consider that it is the naturists who are being offensive. That doesn't make them right, but until the law is changed it is not possible to separate off part of a beach for naturists. The solution is to get the law changed, until that happens there is nothing you can realistically do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Naked people make me feel uncomfortable or disgusted or offended.

Now what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Nevore wrote: »
    Naked people make me feel uncomfortable or disgusted or offended.

Now what?

And more to the point, it's illegal, same as having a peddle in public (not that I'm comparing the two acts).

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    And more to the point, it's illegal, same as having a peddle in public (not that I'm comparing the two acts).

Just to clear something up, its only illegal if someone makes a complaint.

Just to clear something up, its only illegal if someone makes a complaint.
    That's really not how the law works.
    Read the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994. I think it's section 4 or 5 that covers public nudity. The actions only have to be likely to cause offense. If a Garda comes along and no one has made a complaint, and he doesn't personally think it's offensive but thinks that some people might be, then he can constitute a charge.

Nevore wrote: »
    That's really not how the law works.
    Read the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994. I think it's section 4 or 5 that covers public nudity. The actions only have to be likely to cause offense. If a Garda comes along and no one has made a complaint, and he doesn't personally think it's offensive but thinks that some people might be, then he can constitute a charge.

cant find anything in the act, are you certain about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I've never been to the bit of Brittas Bay south of Mizen Head, but I've been to a fair few naturist beaches around the continent, and as he says what the OP reports is hardly a unique problem. Generally the 'meerkat' problem is worse close to urban areas (which in terms of access Brittas is), and in countries where the native population is quite conservative in matters of nudity (check).

For example, one of the worst incidences I've seen was at the nudist beach at the southern end of oh-so-crappy Faliraki, Rhodes - thus close to a built up area, and in Greece (where locals tend to dress and act conservatively, and generally leave nudist beaches to the tourists). There was a rotating population of voyeurs and public fiddlers hanging around in the scrubby slope overlooking the beach. In countries like France where locals are as likely to be on a nudist beach as furriners, or in Germany/Austria where locals considerably outnumber tourists, it never seems to be much of a problem. Spain seems to fall somewhere in the middle.

So it strikes me that the 'demand' side of the problem mainly comes down to familiar cultural confusion over the difference between sex and nudity, and the fact that this is pretty much the only well-known nudist beach in Ireland concentrates the problem. If this is the only place a weirdo can go to see real life nekkid folks, then this is where a weirdo will go.

Where the situation seems to differ from even the worst European example is that of policing. Every time I have seen a hint of a problem like this on a continental nude beach (including Faliraki), there has been an immediate response from the users. One or more people (usually large fat men) have marched right up to the trouble makers and asked them to leave, with universal success. This often extends to camera use amongst otherwise normal users too. It may sometimes be undertaken by deckchair rental guys or cantina operators, but it is usually just regular beach users, and never the cops*. Your average pervert is already confused enough, the sight of cross-looking naked men approaching him is almost always too much.

So without any direct experience, I suspect the problem is a lack of numbers and sense of community amongst the regular users - hard to generate with a small user base and so few suitable days in the year! It seems a shame to suggest it, but unless you're prepared to take these feckers to task,its probably best to avoid the place - at least until regular use increases to the point that there is a beach 'community' (which may never happen). As matters stand, it sounds like the weirdoes outnumber the nudists, so some strong deterrence is called for. But I wouldn't bother invoking the law.

*When cops get involved with nudist beaches, it's usually to suppress swinging/dogging/cottaging activities, which is a separate issue altogether, and hopefully not one Brittas Bay has to deal with.

cant find anything in the act, are you certain about this?
    There isn't a charge for public nudity per se, there's a catch all charge for offending public decency or something similarly archaic. I'll try and find the wording but it's something along the lines of "doing anything in public or on private land that is visible by the public that offends/disgusts or is likely to offend or disgust a reasonable person".
    Now we can argue the toss of what should offend a reasonable person but the law allows no differentiation between walking down O'Connell St naked and going for a dip in Brittas.
    That's my understanding of it at least. There used to be a good naturist Ireland site about that had a decent enough analysis. I'll try and find a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hurling Mad

I have to say I love nude beaches and visit them when holidaying in France each year and very much enjoy walking and bathing naked. My wife doesnt mind visiting them but not keen to remove her swin suit but has no objections to me. In France families are so easy with their nudity and yes they come in all shapes and sizes but they have no hang ups. We Irish are still thinking of the 'Sins' of the flesh and need to get real. As regards sexual activity a certain amount of it does happen and if there are lookers I make sure that the 'pecker' is looking in 'full steam' ahead. no use it looking at the sand. Must check out Brittis for some fun!!

I have to say I love nude beaches and visit them when holidaying in France each year and very much enjoy walking and bathing naked. My wife doesnt mind visiting them but not keen to remove her swin suit but has no objections to me. In France families are so easy with their nudity and yes they come in all shapes and sizes but they have no hang ups. We Irish are still thinking of the 'Sins' of the flesh and need to get real. As regards sexual activity a certain amount of it does happen and if there are lookers I make sure that the 'pecker' is looking in 'full steam' ahead. no use it looking at the sand. Must check out Brittis for some fun!!

sigh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

is naturism about gay voyeurism in brittas then? I just want to work on a decent tan and enjoy the feeling of being naked...not sure I want to have to deal with men **** at me.

Is it just gay men or is it a regular beach for men,women,families,straights,gays et al?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement