Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will be interesting to see how many degree's above normal will February be if the GFS charts are correct. Tonights GFS ensembles are just so mild, mostly low to mid teens all the way to March 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Kind of same as how I think to be honest. We've two seasons and they change around March and October . Think it was 2015 we had a really warm period mid march? Thats only 4 weeks away :):)

Mid March 2014 was very warm. We had just moved into this house and we got a wood burner installed. We lit it to test it but didnt use it til the following autumn. It was far too warm already for a fire.

Years since we've lit it in miserable cold wet days in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A wild, loud night and a blustery morning. Yesterday was an oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Been such a mild winter and little rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is this going to be the mildest Winter on record?

December way milder than normal
    January slightly above
    February above normal

Only about 10 cold days all season.

Seems nowadays that the weather is either milder than average for a prolonged period followed by a short cold spurt to bring average down followed by another long mild spell.

The monthly averages are distorted nowadays.

e.g February showing as normal currently but this is only because it was way colder than normal for 3 days but the other days have been normal or above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice afternoon here in Castlebar.blue skies light winds . 12 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

repub wrote: »
    hi people,
    i picked up a virus guessing it was a strain of flu. It lasted a good 10 days and I'm still recovering. aches pains, temperature, dry cough, sinuses, sore throat. the strangest thing though is the night sweats the past few nights. I feel most symptoms are gone just the after math like a bit flem-ee etc. but the waking up in the night with my clothes soaking is a bit alarming. anyone else experience this??

Hi repub,

Think you may have the wrong forum. This is the weather forum, you're looking for the under the weather forum:P

ps get well soon

pps go and see a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

hi people,
    i picked up a virus guessing it was a strain of flu. It lasted a good 10 days and I'm still recovering. aches pains, temperature, dry cough, sinuses, sore throat. the strangest thing though is the night sweats the past few nights. I feel most symptoms are gone just the after math like a bit flem-ee etc. but the waking up in the night with my clothes soaking is a bit alarming. anyone else experience this??

Hi Repub, yes Im exactly the same. Just about feeling somewhat normal this week but still getting these crazy night (and day!) sweats after 2 weeks. I think its just the way the strain is working on this particular virus....

btw mods, move this somewhere else if appropriate...thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pauldry wrote: »
    Is this going to be the mildest Winter on record?

December way milder than normal
    January slightly above
    February above normal

Only about 10 cold days all season.

Seems nowadays that the weather is either milder than average for a prolonged period followed by a short cold spurt to bring average down followed by another long mild spell.

The monthly averages are distorted nowadays.

e.g February showing as normal currently but this is only because it was way colder than normal for 3 days but the other days have been normal or above.

It will be very interesting to see how mild in total this Winter has been. The majority of the season has seen days of 10C+. Only a handful of days have gone colder than 6C. Many places have seen no snow at all and only a few frosty nights.

At night time Ireland has been consistently the warmest country in Europe throughout this Winter, with night time temperatures close to 10C on many nights. Only recently has places like Greece and southern Spain joined Ireland with mild night time temperatures.

This may not be the mildest winter of all time, but it's certainly in my top 3 list of mild winters since the 1970s in terms of mild daytime and nighttime temperatures, almost complete absence of snow and very little frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mid March 2014 was very warm. We had just moved into this house and we got a wood burner installed. We lit it to test it but didnt use it til the following autumn. It was far too warm already for a fire.

Years since we've lit it in miserable cold wet days in April.

March 2012 was savage, mini heatwave stuff. Remember doing a job interview and having to have all windows open. It was so sunny and warm.
    The summer after was pretty crap though!

• Advertisement

long range models now forcasting the mild spell to last at least until the second week of March. Temperatures this week between 3 and 6C above average, then more like 1 to 3C above average in the 3 weeks to follow this week.

The long range models have been wrong all winter, so let's see if this mild theme lasts for another month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

hi people,

One flu over the cuckoos nest. You are hallucinating chief...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gonzo wrote: »
    long range models now forcasting the mild spell to last at least until the second week of March. Temperatures this week between 3 and 6C above average, then more like 1 to 3C above average in the 3 weeks to follow this week.

The long range models have been wrong all winter, so let's see if this mild theme lasts for another month.

There's only one long range model you can trust....:)

19030612_1200.gif

and

19030900_1200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    It will be very interesting to see how mild in total this Winter has been. The majority of the season has seen days of 10C+. Only a handful of days have gone colder than 6C. Many places have seen no snow at all and only a few frosty nights.

At night time Ireland has been consistently the warmest country in Europe throughout this Winter, with night time temperatures close to 10C on many nights. Only recently has places like Greece and southern Spain joined Ireland with mild night time temperatures.

This may not be the mildest winter of all time, but it's certainly in my top 3 list of mild winters since the 1970s in terms of mild daytime and nighttime temperatures, almost complete absence of snow and very little frost.

In case of your curiosity, I have created the following analysis for Dunsany based on temperature data of previous Winters (means are based on midnight to midnight readings rather than 0900 to 0900 UTC readings).

Winter (December to February) mean temperatures, mean max and mean min temperatures.

Keep in mind, some or all data is not available for the following Winters: 1967-68, 1970-71, 1971-72, 1979-80, 1984-85, 1991-92, 2007-08. So beware of the sudden down spikes as a result in points of the graph.

Coldest: 2009-10 with a mean of 2.2c
    Mildest: 1988-89 & 1997-98 with a mean of 6.4c

2018-19 up to January is currently running at 6.3c. Mean minimum is currently record high at 4.0c but one more month of data to consider.

KYlrloF.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Dismal day in Cork. Horrible grey misty mildness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Galway 12/02/19 18.50 temperature 9°C
    dyvEGCj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

no snow,then no. 16 degrees,gas stuff.
    ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

no snow,then no. 16 degrees,gas stuff.
    ukmaxtemp.png

You really do have to laugh at how mild it is getting over the next few days.

It will be interesting to see how long this exceptionally mild spell lasts. I know models at the moment are currently saying it will last into early March but we all know long term models have been atrocious this winter.

esposito wrote: »
    You really do have to laugh at how mild it is getting over the next few days.

It will be interesting to see how long this exceptionally mild spell lasts. I know models at the moment are currently saying it will last into early March but we all know long term models have been atrocious this winter.

not sure it will reach as high as 16C as what is showing in that chart, but that sort of temperature chart wouldn't look out of place in May. Crazy to think that's a February chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Top 10 warmest winters in Northern Ireland:

6.24 1989
    5.97 1998
    5.67 1943
    5.67 1935
    5.65 1975
    5.64 2017
    5.58 2007
    5.56 1949
    5.55 2012
    5.53 1932

(UK Met Office)

For the Dec - Jan period this winter, the mean temp stands at 5.75c in the North. Here in the Rep, temps are running pretty close to average for the month of Feb so far, so would expect about the same in the North, so even with this upcoming mild spell, I would doubt that winter will break any records regarding warmth on either side of the border, but certainly will be up there on the ranks.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭acequion

I absolutely hate this mild weather and am worried now because I'm due to spend a few days next week near London. And double figures are forecast! In bloody February :(

My question to you weather experts is how mild is a temperature of 13 degrees in southern England? Here in Kerry 13 degrees is just awful because of the humidity. So without humidity is it more comfortable? I'm hoping to pack normal winter clothes ie a winter coat,a few jumpers,light ones. Will that be too warm there? In Kerry it would be.

I've not much to trouble me, people will say and they might be right, but I'm looking forward to my break and we'll be doing a fair bit of walking around outside and I just hate when it's too warm in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

acequion wrote: »
    I absolutely hate this mild weather and am worried now because I'm due to spend a few days next week near London. And double figures are forecast! In bloody February :(

My question to you weather experts is how mild is a temperature of 13 degrees in southern England? Here in Kerry 13 degrees is just awful because of the humidity. So without humidity is it more comfortable? I'm hoping to pack normal winter clothes ie a winter coat,a few jumpers,light ones. Will that be too warm there? In Kerry it would be.

I've not much to trouble me, people will say and they might be right, but I'm looking forward to my break and we'll be doing a fair bit of walking around outside and I just hate when it's too warm in winter.

Its 13 degrees not 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Its 13 degrees not 30.

I'm roasting in the house, I say its reaching 30. My partner thinks you put the heating on by the season. In the summer its off. In the winter its on all day.

Shes gone to work now, I have all the windows open, in my boxers, watching the match.

oh yeah and typing on this like a creep too. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

National daily temperature departure from 1981-2010 base for this winter so far (up to yesterday)

WED5now.png

Current Winter deviation: +1.2 deg. C.

Data C/O Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Siobhan said 'mild' 13 times in 3 min on RTE forecast!

Its 13 degrees not 30.

I'm aware it's 13 and not 30 :rolleyes:

Some people just can't resist the urge to be smart alecs.

I find 13 degrees too warm in winter. You associate 13 degrees with late March or October, Spring or Autumn,not winter. And though February may technically be Spring, with its short days and bare trees,in most people's minds its still winter. We might even get 15 or 16 here later this week. Great for those that like that but it's not for me, not this early.

I'm aware it's 13 and not 30 :rolleyes:

Some people just can't resist the urge to be smart alecs.

I find 13 degrees too warm in winter. You associate 13 degrees with late March or October, Spring or Autumn,not winter. And though February may technically be Spring, with its short days and bare trees,in most people's minds its still winter. We might even get 15 or 16 here later this week. Great for those that like that but it's not for me, not this early.

The time of the year doesn't make it any hotter though. How can 13 degrees be too warm for you just because its a certain month? 13c in February is as warm/cool as 13c in April. Fair enough if you just don't want mild weather, but to be worrying about it being too warm its ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could some of the experts here do a comparison of very mild Febs and the following summer?? I remember 1998 being like this and then we got record cold in April followed by a horrid summer:(

The time of the year doesn't make it any hotter though. How can 13 degrees be too warm for you just because its a certain month? 13c in February is as warm/cool as 13c in April. Fair enough if you just don't want mild weather, but to be worrying about it being too warm its ludicrous.

God would you ever learn to live and let live!

Let me try to explain it so that you might see where another person is coming from. I like a proper winter with lowish temperatures. I love to wear proper winter clothes and feel comfortable and you can't do that at 13 degrees. You expect around 13 degrees in April so you dress differently. I'm going to England next week and as I love my fashion I want to wear my nice winter clothes. With this type of weather you don't know what to wear and if you dress too heavy you're too warm.Hence low temps are much easier to plan for. So I'm worried it will be uncomfortable next week as we'll be doing a lot of walking.

It's exactly the same in summer. I love hot weather then and to be able to just fling my light clothes into the case when I travel and off I go. But in Ireland it's often only 15 degrees in summer so same dilemma but in reverse as you're worrying about it being too cold. I've always associated England with being more seasonal than the Atlantic coasts of Ireland so I'm not too happy about these unseasonal temps there too, but am hoping that with less humidity than here it might be more comfortable.

Get it now?

• Advertisement

God would you ever learn to live and let live!

Let me try to explain it so that you might see where another person is coming from. I like a proper winter with lowish temperatures. I love to wear proper winter clothes and feel comfortable and you can't do that at 13 degrees. You expect around 13 degrees in April so you dress differently. I'm going to England next week and as I love my fashion I want to wear my nice winter clothes. With this type of weather you don't know what to wear and if you dress too heavy you're too warm.Hence low temps are much easier to plan for. So I'm worried it will be uncomfortable next week as we'll be doing a lot of walking.

It's exactly the same in summer. I love hot weather then and to be able to just fling my light clothes into the case when I travel and off I go. But in Ireland it's often only 15 degrees in summer so same dilemma but in reverse as you're worrying about it being too cold. I've always associated England with being more seasonal than the Atlantic coasts of Ireland so I'm not too happy about these unseasonal temps there too, but am hoping that with less humidity than here it might be more comfortable.

Get it now?

Nope, dont get it at all. You're leaving a place of 13degrees and traveling to a place 13degrees. I won't bother you anymore .

Advertisement