Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling Roll of Honour, War Dead Monument, or Memorial Wall.

• 05-11-2018 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Things to remember when compiling a Roll of Honour, War Dead Monument, or Memorial Wall.
    Gather and supply all the townlands in the area proposed.
    If the Town, Townland, or Parish crosses the county line, establish if you wish to include the locations in the other county in your project.
    Establish how far you wish to go outside the different townlands, and put it down on paper.
    Decide what your criteria for inclusion are. Criteria used in the past include.
    (1) Born in that area.
    (2) Lived in that area.
    (3) Buried in that area.
    (4) Next of kin lived or were born in that area.
    (5)
    Decide the cut-off date for inclusion in your project.
    Decide if you wish to include those who survived the war.

Kind regards.
    Tom.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Question after all your brilliant research (I did try to search but there's so many posts by you on this topic!)

What do you now estimate to be a better total casualties of Irish soldiers in World War I?

FindmyPast's roll of honour (1914-1921) gives some 24000 and is apparently compiled from a few different sources but doesn't appear to be all the counties.

Ireland's Memorial Records with the lovely Harry Clarke drawings has 49646 but includes any deaths of those serving in Irish regiments and does not include Irish people who didn't serve in Irish regiments, so must be presumed to be very inaccurate now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Thanks Pinky.
    FMP Irelands National Roll of Honor has only 18 counties as far as I know, so that cannot reflect the true number.

The total as it stands at the moment for the 26 Counties is 29773.
    The County war dead count at this moment is-
    Carlow-579.
    Cavan-713.
    Clare-717.
    Cork-4630.
    Donegal-1317.
    Dublin-8789.
    Galway-1205.
    Kerry-0812.
    Kildare-1061.
    Kilkenny-811.
    Laois-580.
    Leitrim-345.
    Limerick-1340.
    Longford-346.
    Louth-837.
    Mayo-1148.
    Meath-589.
    Monaghan-540.
    Offaly-672.
    Roscommon-567.
    Sligo-615.
    Tipperary-1562.
    Waterford-1194.
    Westmeath-742.
    Wexford-934.
    Wicklow-812.

Harry Clarke was a shining light, fair play to him, he did us proud.
    Ireland's Memorial Records gives us the number 49,600 who were killed but these figures are for the 32 counties. The problem with this figure is that it accepts every man in an Irish regiment as being an Irishman, which is ludicrous. IMR also ignores, the U.S.A., Canada, India, South Africa, New Zealand and Australian Irish born men who also died. It also forgot the Air Forces, navies and merchant marine.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Not meaning to start a politics debate, but why did you leave out the 6 counties? We were all one country at that stage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That is a question that is often asked.
    I could not afford it. It is too far away, I physically had to go there, and I am not getting any younger. I am a pensioner now. The 26 counties were just about do-able but the 32 was not without support from those in a position to do so. It took 15 years to do the 26 counties. A very enjoyable and rewarding project it was too.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

That's a fair and honest answer.

The work you've done is phenomenal. Hopefully someone will complement it with the NI counties some day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thank you kindly Pinky. The privilege and pleasure is all mine. There are great people in the north doing just that as we speak. Fantastic people with the will, drive and support to complete it.
    Fingers crossed!!
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Your work got a mention on RTÉ's coverage earlier on - Ronan McGreevy mentioned your estimate. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

enfield wrote: »
    Thanks Pinky.
    FMP Irelands National Roll of Honor has only 18 counties as far as I know, so that cannot reflect the true number.

The total as it stands at the moment for the 26 Counties is 29773.
    Harry Clarke was a shining light, fair play to him, he did us proud.
    Ireland's Memorial Records gives us the number 49,600 who were killed but these figures are for the 32 counties. The problem with this figure is that it accepts every man in an Irish regiment as being an Irishman, which is ludicrous. IMR also ignores, the U.S.A., Canada, India, South Africa, New Zealand and Australian Irish born men who also died. It also forgot the Air Forces, navies and merchant marine.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Even stripping out the English & Scots from the Irish Regiments, I'd guess that the figure would remain at about 50,000 if the Irish-born who were working in England when they enlisted were included.

Thank you Pinky. Ronan McGreevy is another shining light, and well deserves the medal he is being presented for his work in History next Friday by the French Ambassador.
    Place of enlistment was never in the criteria for inclusion. The Irish who were not in Ireland when they enlisted are included in the count.

Came online on 11/11/2021, enjoy!

https://irelandsgreatwardead.ie/the-archive/

• Advertisement
Advertisement