Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Absolutely no need for the meat! Meat isn't even needed for gravies; onions and mushrooms give great unami flavour, and there are easy shortcuts available, mushroom ketchup is very handy to have.

You could always add some sliced deli meat if you wish. An easy weeknight roast dinner!

I'm going to try making stuffing, but I will include butter, so not vegan. I remember my mam cooking beef tomatoes stuffed with... stuffing. Delicious!
    Must get some mushroom ketchup. I keep hearing how useful and flavoursome it is.

Did your mother scoop out the seeds and backfill with stuffing, or lay the stuffing on top?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

tangy wrote: »
    Must get some mushroom ketchup. I keep hearing how useful and flavoursome it is.

Did your mother scoop out the seeds and backfill with stuffing, or lay the stuffing on top?

The stuffing was in the tomatoes, juices and all, and then the cut off top went on the tomato. That's all I can remember!

One thing to be aware about mushroom ketchup: the texture is very thin. Not like ketchup at all. Just a delicious unami juice to create a sauce with other things.

It's also good on its own, but it isn't a ketchup in that sense. It's runny.. But worth seeking out, for sure.

Maybe treat it as a worsc sauce?

Thanks. I knew MK wasn't in the tomato sauce league, but I didn't realise it was so thin. Your Worcester sauce comparison seems apt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Spaghetti carbonara with pancetta and mushrooms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

BBQ pork chop with mash and beans. Hadn't had mash and beans for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken fried rice.

20210511-184043.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Salmon and Prawn Tacos with Sweetcorn Relish, Tomato Salsa, Guacamole, Lime-pickled Red Onions, Rocket and Spicy Mayonnaise.

36-D11788-1-E4-A-43-FC-97-D6-EDEDA8377-CC2.jpg

Chicken fried rice.
    I know, I know why :) Roast chicken yesterday :)

Hope you're feeling better. Took both of us here 2 or 3 days to get over the vaccination.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

IMG-20210511-205946506.jpg

It's been one of those days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Be right back

Bacon and leek with ravioli in a pesto sauce with garlic bread. Delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I used my slow cooker for the first time in ages today and made a minced beef stew. It was yum.

20210512-183638.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Chilli peanut beef, as recommended by the good people of boards :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Spag bol and garlic bread tonight.

That mince beef stew looks mighty Dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Shepherd's pie trying out a photography backdrop we got on Amazon

IMG-20210512-211505.jpg

Looks fab cefh17!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

cefh17 wrote: »
    Shepherd's pie trying out a photography backdrop we got on Amazon

looks fab - love the potato swirl.. pardon my ignorance but whats the backdrop?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

sporina wrote: »
    looks fab - love the potato swirl.. pardon my ignorance but whats the backdrop?

Thanks! It's the grey marble looking bit in the back.. the pot was too hot to put directly onto it today :P We bought this one , mostly as we've nowhere nice looking to take pics in our dainty kitchen

Pasta Boscaiola

I used my slow cooker for the first time in ages today and made a minced beef stew. It was yum.

That looks so rich and juicy; I can never make stew like that. I hope you enjoyed it! :p

cee_jay wrote: »
    Pasta Boscaiola

That looks so tasty... I had to Google Boscaiola....

My OH makes a pasta with a creamy tomato and ham sauce (delicious!), but he calls it Milanese.
    Is it similar?

• Advertisement

That looks so rich and juicy; I can never make stew like that. I hope you enjoyed it! :p

I did!. This is the way I make it. If you haven't got a slow cooker, double the amount of stock and put it in the oven in a casserole dish at 170C for 2 hours.

1lb/500g of lean minced beef
    A handful of pearl barley
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 carrots, diced
    1 stick of celery, diced
    A crushed clove of garlic
    A tablespoon of flour
    Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
    A mug of hot water mixed with a beef Oxo cube (or a pint with 2 cubes if you're cooking it in the oven)
    A tablespoon of tomato purée
    A dash of Worcestershire sauce
    Salt & black pepper
    A good pinch of Italian herbs or mixed herbs

Sauté the veg in a little oil until it starts to soften, then add the mince and garlic and fry until the mince has browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Lower the heat and stir in the flour, let it cook for a minute. Then add the stock, tomatoes and purée, stirring well. Add the Worcestershire sauce and herbs, and salt & black pepper. Put it all into the slow cooker for 3-4 hours on high.

That looks so tasty... I had to Google Boscaiola....

My OH makes a pasta with a creamy tomato and ham sauce (delicious!), but he calls it Milanese.
    Is it similar?

Sounds similar! This is the recipe I use:
    https://cooklybookly.com/recipes/0545f6ea-19d7-11eb-b7d6-4b58d3666b26

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cefh17 wrote: »
    Thanks! It's the grey marble looking bit in the back.. the pot was too hot to put directly onto it today :P We bought this one , mostly as we've nowhere nice looking to take pics in our dainty kitchen

A little bit of back lighting really helps lift food photography. Doesn't have to be a photography light but some bit of light from above and behind does wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The whole house had a vegetarian Indian meal tonight, I made a tarka dahl, red lentil curry from scratch, with assorted sides of samosas, pakoras etc (shop bought) with pilau rice and naan.

Curry made with red and white onions finely chopped, garlic,ginger and chilli, lentils chopped tomatoes (fresh not tinned,) and coconut milk. Spices - green saffron spice blend.

I know the curry isn't much to look at, but it was bloody delicious, there wasn't a scrap left on anyone's plate!

IMG-20210515-164311.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Fajitas and Nachos.

IMG-1930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Barbecue chicken wings (lemon and cumin), potato salad and tomato salad.

20210515-181349.jpg

Kielbasa sausage with sweet potato mash, spinach and tomato sauce yesterday.

IMG-20210515-211541.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Stuffed turkey breast and stuffing balls, all wrapped in parma ham with roasties and veg.

IMG-1940.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Stuffed turkey breast and stuffing balls, all wrapped in parma ham with roasties and veg.

lovvvvve stuffing - but not sausage meat stuffing.. sage and onion is sufficient for me.. wrapping it with parma is a great idea.. stuffing and ham of any sort - delish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Marinated Minute Steak in a Ciabatta with homemade Onion Rings, Caramelised Onions, Cashel Blue Cheese, Brown Sauce and Mayonnaise.

9183-F097-C272-4009-9-D95-EE449-E2087-AD.jpg

Crepe Suzette to follow

B2-D6784-B-B1-DF-4-C76-8425-95463-DB0-FF2-A.jpg

Advertisement