Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Do Dot Brew not have any carbonation facilities at their brewery?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Do Dot Brew not have any carbonation facilities at their brewery?!
    They recalled a beer for overcarbonation a while back. It looks like they've overcompensated for that in more recent ones.

I picked a few from Craft Central and all the cans have that ‘under-carbonation give’ to the them.

The one I had last night was as flat as a pancake. Wasn’t a beer I was a fan of. It was a blend aged in Peated Whiskey barrels. I hate that TCP flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Just had a White Hag Puca Pineapple, absolutely lovely. I like a sour anyway but this was really good. An almost champagne like carbonation to it. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I've also just had a púca pineapple sour and was bitterly disappointed.
    Not a trace of pineapple in it, all that comes through is the dry lemon base. There's a slight sweetness that dulls the sourness so it's like a 'lite' version of the original lemon púca.
    Having the hibiscus and ginger one next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not a trace of pineapple in it, all that comes through is the dry lemon base. There's a slight sweetness that dulls the sourness so it's like a 'lite' version of the original lemon púca.

You definitely get the sour lemon hit first but then it quickly changes to a subtle pineapple kinda funk. It's not overly pineapple but it's enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just had a White Hag Puca Pineapple, absolutely lovely. I like a sour anyway but this was really good. An almost champagne like carbonation to it. Great stuff.

Couldn't get this in Cork, yesterday.
    However, I think the lemon one has become very watery. Hopefully this has a bit more body.

However, I think the lemon one has become very watery. Hopefully this has a bit more body.

I've had two so far and I'm afraid it doesn't.
    I have a lemon in the fridge for later, the first since last year, so will report back on that one.

I really enjoyed otterbank single barrel series. No.1 brandy cask with redcurrants.
    Lovely, complex, woody, fruity, sweet and sour beer. I liked it a lot.

Their new branding is a bit odd, though.
    Why would you have one line of your address printed in the largest type to be found anywhere on the label?
    Are they having a row with Muff Liquor Company?Whatever the reason, I think it looks rather immature on the label. Particularly when it's such a classy, elegant beer.

For anyone confused, the word "Muff" is printed larger than any other word on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've had two so far and I'm afraid it doesn't.
    I have a lemon in the fridge for later, the first since last year, so will report back on that one.

Had a lemon one last night and enjoyed it as I always do, also pick up the berry one whenever I see it. I don't have high expectations from sours as long as they are sour and have the flavour advertised then I'm happy. Haven't tried the pineapple one as I'm not a fan of pineapple to start with, might give it a go at some stage though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm not at all sure how you got no trace of pineapple. It's very much there to the fore.

It's as hefty, for want of a better phrase as the old lime and matcha ones.

A mate text me but an hour ago (and another the last night), saying how much they liked it.

Best sour they've done in a long time. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All things Dutch today:

Kompaan Nitro Nemesis Blackberry NEIPA - it certainly isn’t a NEIPA. Blueberry to the fore alright but completely flat.

vandeSteek - HBC 692 Double Hazy IPA - Liked this, tropical and bitter. Doesn’t feel overly boozy at 8.2%.

Frontaal - Inspectum Gadget NE DIPA - If like you like a hazy, juicy DIPA with flavours big on bitterness you’ll like this.

Frontaal - Concrete Jungle - NE DIPA - Pick of the bunch for me, full, creamy and oh so fresh. Mango flavored with a definite bitterness at the end.

I'm not at all sure how you got no trace of pineapple. It's very much there to the fore.
    Can't explain it beyond my previous post. Huge lemon, and a dull sweetness. Nothing distinctly pineapple.
    Perhaps a bad batch.

Can't explain it beyond my previous post. Huge lemon, and a dull sweetness. Nothing distinctly pineapple.
    Perhaps a bad batch.

Oh i believe you.

I just found it funny how we all differ. Everything is subjective, but it was a pineapple bomb for me. :)

I had that lemon púca this evening, and it was as you described.
    Thin and utterly lacking any punch.
    Maybe they changed the recipe?

Followed it up with a work in progress by lough Gill. Another disappointing sour, not thin or watery but like too much sugar was dumped into it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I've been a convert for years of their stuff. But I just can't get my head around how they have such a range without a drop in quality.

That Spontanacai and Passion Pool are lingering on my mind. Just like that 1950s Locke's I had before Christmas at a tasting has just slotted itself into the pantheon. Bastards.

I've never had a Mikkeller beer and thought it was crap.

I've had a Mikkeller and not liked it, but could see that it was a well balanced version of whatever style it was.

[Last one I remember was their Vienna Lager. Not a style I like, but theirs was a good version of it. If that makes sense]

I don't understand how they manage to do it? Mindboggling.

Everything they throw out is just the best of stuff.

I see craft central have some passion pool at the moment.

https://craftcentral.ie/search?q=Passion+pool&type=product&product_cat=all

I see craft central have some passion pool at the moment.

https://craftcentral.ie/search?q=Passion+pool&type=product&product_cat=all

I need to be alone for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Pixel amber IPA... actually quite nice

Another thumbs up for Passion pool.
    Will dry Deep pool tonight.

Another thumbs up for Passion pool.
    Will dry Deep pool tonight.

My Craft Central order arrived this morning. 2*Passion, 2*Shallow and 1*Deep. Very intrigued as to how they differ.

• Advertisement

My Craft Central order arrived this morning. 2*Passion, 2*Shallow and 1*Deep. Very intrigued as to how they differ.

Difference being that the shallow is a sour, fruity can of happiness and the deep is an unbalanced mess of a beer.

Very disappointed with the deep - just nothing worked about it for me.
    You'd never know it was 8%, either.

That is something.

Well, I'll find out tonight anyway.

Had the Púca Pineapple the other night and thought it was awful. The pineapple flavour was weird (I love pineapple). It had some strange plastic-y taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Three pint bottles of Guinness. Gorgeous.

Difference being that the shallow is a sour, fruity can of happiness and the deep is an unbalanced mess of a beer.

Very disappointed with the deep - just nothing worked about it for me.
    You'd never know it was 8%, either.

Had myself a can of the Passion Pool. My my my. They have bloody well nailed it.

Will be following it up with a Weisenoher and a Pineapple Púca.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Three pint bottles of Guinness. Gorgeous.

Top work.

Hope Pilsner. It’s grand, you could probably convert people with it as it’s a little bit nicer than Carlsberg and all but not a huge departure.

Had the new Wicklow Wolf sour 'raindrop' last night.
    Not bad, not too sweet, but not very sour either.

Something about sours being unsatisfactory of late. Maybe I'm turning bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Can't get Kinnegars "Olans Tart" in my local at the moment ..to my mind, the nicest all around sour on the market.
    Must be a production issue, shortage of apple pickers perhaps :)

• Advertisement

Can't get Kinnegars "Olans Tart" in my local at the moment ..to my mind, the nicest all around sour on the market.
    Must be a production issue, shortage of apple pickers perhaps :)

The best for me was yellow belies castaway or else the apricot or lime puca. But castaway went bland and I can never find the later two.

Advertisement