Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think I got my Brennan's from Beer Club. I wasn't that impressed to be honest, despite wanting to like it as I thought it was relatively local. They seem to have done well with the home bar nitro stout drinkers since diageo stopped kegging (along with 9 white deer).

Not sure where I stand on contract brewing - you have the likes of Hopfully doing it (and several others starting out), but then going so big on locality like Brennans and Sullivans (and Dublin City?) when it's brewed so far away. More cements my opinion of Dundalk Bay though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They sent out samples to reviewers before the commercial release and several of us pointed out that the label as-was suggested that the beer came from Courtown, which is illegal. Last I saw the label does now say it's brewed in Dundalk, albeit in very small letters, but their marketing still seems to be about pretending they're a real brewery in Wexford. It's an unfortunate distraction because the beer is very good. It helps fill the mild-shaped gap in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Porterhouse - Chocolate Truffle Stout. Very watery and sweet, had hoped it would be better.

Wander Beyond - Nautiloid Milkshake Imperial IPA - really liked this. Nice orangey taste off it and the alcohol well hidden, you’d never know it was 12%.

Larkins - Morrigan. Had this in the fridge for a good while and didn’t bother with it cos I’m sick of Bourbon/Whiskey/Barrel Aged Stouts. Still thought this was very good though.

Bakunin - Tropical Eclipse - a type of chocolate and coconut imperial stout, very heavy but very very good.

Amundsen - Barrel Aged Tonka and Caramel Swirl ice cream. Probably the worst of their “Desert in a Can” range and generally I love them, though gets rave reviews elsewhere.

Wander Beyond - Coral Connection IPA - A decent strong milkshake IPA.

Evil Twin - Fructus Danica 14 Raspberry, Blackberry and Strawberry sour - Out of this world. Incredible fruit sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Evil Twin - Fructus Danica 14 Raspberry, Blackberry and Strawberry sour - Out of this world. Incredible fruit sour.

Oh my. That was one on my list last week and I was discouraged from putting in an order...

---

Was the birthday over the weekend and herself went to town with an order from Mikkeller for me. God bless her.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Seeing the mention of Evil Twin... One of my most fun experiences remains buying the Evil Twin yin smoked porter, and the Evil Twin yang double IPA, and mixing them to make the Evil Twin "black and tan" yin and yang. They later released a bottling of 'yin and yang' to save any effort required.

I bought a few beers yesterday evening -

Oskar Blues can-o-bliss (two varieties) ... Greatful for the recommendation on here, these are great beers.
    White Hag Atlantean in 440ml ... I do think this is a modern Irish classic, really consistently enjoy it.
    Cigar City Jai Alai ... Still of my favourite west coast style IPAs, a lot of bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

White Hag Puca Lemon sour.
    While it's always been what I would consider light and refreshing it seems to me to now be watery with no body at all and little flavour other than lemon.

I used to be a fan of this beer but I won't be buying it again.
    (it was much improved by a dash of Duvel triple hop!:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

BPKS wrote: »
    Anybody had that Steam Boat Imperial IPA from lidl.

Also I see lidl are selling a range of Belgian beers next week, I wonder are they worth chancing for the fairly reasonable price (4 packs of Blonde/Dark/Triple Hop 10.5% abv - not sure if 250ml or 330 ml - for €10).

You mean Steam Brew? Most in here didn't like it IIRC. I definitely wouldn't call it an IPA, seemed more like a typical East European strong lager style to me. It's not subtle but I actually liked it.

I saw the mixed Belgian six packs in Lidl today for €9.99 which is excellent value. Maybe it was just that store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

irish_goat wrote: »
    Looks like a new stout is being launched, presumably by a macro brewer. My guess is Heineken, with the product being aimed at the younger stout drinker.

JVNgvso.jpg

Awful bang of Guinness Light off that! :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You mean Steam Brew? Most in here didn't like it IIRC. I definitely wouldn't call it an IPA, seemed more like a typical East European strong lager style to me. It's not subtle but I actually liked it.
    Tried one of them the last time (Imperial Red IPA?) - went down the sink!

Herself doing some solid other-halfing for the birthday:

550373.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

First Elvis Juice in a while today. When did it change from 6.5% to 5.1%?!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

BPKS wrote: »
    Also I see lidl are selling a range of Belgian beers next week, I wonder are they worth chancing for the fairly reasonable price (4 packs of Blonde/Dark/Triple Hop 10.5% abv - not sure if 250ml or 330 ml - for €10).

I'm a huge fan of Belgian ales, so picked up the Bornem, Gulden Draak and Piraat packs at a tenner each. They're usually €5 in Belgian Lidls, but anyway... Nice to see them here at all. Sampling the Gulden Draak now and it brings me back to drinking in the sun at the Gentse Feesten. Good times.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Tried one of them the last time (Imperial Red IPA?) - went down the sink!

Actually liked it, although as said, I think the description of what style they are is misleading, at least to my mind.

First Elvis Juice in a while today. When did it change from 6.5% to 5.1%?!

I think they've done a similar number on Hazy Jane too. Looking at the four pack the other day and I'm almost certain it was a much higher ABV before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I think they've done a similar number on Hazy Jane too. Looking at the four pack the other day and I'm almost certain it was a much higher ABV before.

I think there's a Hazy Jane "family" now. OG Hazy Jane is the original strength one. https://www.brewdog.com/uk/og-hazy-jane-4-x-can

Same thing is being done for Elvis Juice.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hopfully California Uncommon. The can says it's a Spelt NEIPA. It's hazy, but that's where the similarity to what I'd consider a NE IPA ends. No juiciness or any real fruitiness to it. In fact there's not much of a hint of anything really. It doesn't taste bad, but it's wholly unremarkable. I'm a fan of Hopfully and can't say I've ever had one of their beers that I dislike, so they're probably allowed an occasional misstep. Still a disappointment though.

This is as good as I've had in a long time. Astounding beer. bobbysands take note

550657.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

This is as good as I've had in a long time. Astounding beer. bobbysands take note

550657.jpeg

This will be in Ireland with a new label shortly.. as well as Deep Pool (8.0%) and Shallow Pool (0.3%).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Had a Brooklyn defender the other day. Very nice beer!

CiaranMT wrote: »
    This will be in Ireland with a new label shortly.. as well as Deep Pool (8.0%) and Shallow Pool (0.3%).

Oooh. When, where, how?

I had the Deep Pool in my advent calendar along with the Passion Pool. Was lovely, but PP was on another plane.

• Advertisement

Last weekend...

Tool - Black Malts and Body Salts. Didn’t really like this, not often I don’t like something this much but this was just dank.

Basqueland - Digital Symphony - Basqueland producing some great stuff and this is another good IPA from them. Thought it was very light on fizziness though.

Beer Hut - Glazed and Confused Donut Pastry Stout. Sounds sooooo good but just tastes like a sweet milk stout. Very disappointing.

Lough Gill - Chocolate Ox - Very good.

Other Half Brewing - Triple Cream - A nice creamy IPA.

Odell - Witkist Grapefruit White Ale. Nah.

White Hag - Festa Nuda - Qwality, well worth your money, another great tasting stout and tastes exactly how you would expect an Irish Coffee Stout to taste. Highly recommend.

@Bonniesituation - I think you were asking about Amundsen “In Cafruits” a couple of weeks back.

I see Craft Central are currently stocking it - https://craftcentral.ie/products/amundsen-in-cafruits-cherry-raspberry-lemon-almond-pastry-sour-440ml-can-6-5-abv?variant=39272475721763

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Doing a bit of a spring clean. Put these bottles on a shelf a good few years ago to age a bit and promptly forgot about them. Gonna start working through them. Always a fan of the KBS, Chimay and 200 Fathoms especially.

Got a few Veltins in for the night.

However, this is how the evening had started:

551049.jpeg

Mikkeller Spontanacai Sour Ale Brewed with Acai & Aged in Oak Barrels

I feel like all of my Mikkeller reviews are gushing, but when they're good, they're good.

This is no different. The aroma is so pungent and flavoursome, lovely sharp sour taste and chewy sweet finish. Gorgeous rich purple colour. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Had this tonight.

Meh! Disappointed, was expecting more

Got a few Veltins in for the night.

However, this is how the evening had started:

551049.jpeg

Mikkeller Spontanacai Sour Ale Brewed with Acai & Aged in Oak Barrels

I feel like all of my Mikkeller reviews are gushing, but when they're good, they're good.

This is no different. The aroma is so pungent and flavoursome, lovely sharp sour taste and chewy sweet finish. Gorgeous rich purple colour. Wonderful.

It was Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Maple Shake that started me tasting all new beers. It blew my mind the first (and only) time I tasted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

It was Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Maple Shake that started me tasting all new beers. It blew my mind the first (and only) time I tasted it.

you certainly set the bar high for yourself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 l14masasddadsg

Cazale wrote: »
    Doing a bit of a spring clean. Put these bottles on a shelf a good few years ago to age a bit and promptly forgot about them. Gonna start working through them. Always a fan of the KBS, Chimay and 200 Fathoms especially.

Had that Sippin into Darknes in what I'm guessing was a newer bottle than you have there, superb beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Garage Beer Soup Soup Soup Triple IPA. Lovely beer, I’ve loved the other iterations and this is up there with them.

• Advertisement

I've been a convert for years of their stuff. But I just can't get my head around how they have such a range without a drop in quality.

That Spontanacai and Passion Pool are lingering on my mind. Just like that 1950s Locke's I had before Christmas at a tasting has just slotted itself into the pantheon. Bastards.

I've never had a Mikkeller beer and thought it was crap.

I've had a Mikkeller and not liked it, but could see that it was a well balanced version of whatever style it was.

[Last one I remember was their Vienna Lager. Not a style I like, but theirs was a good version of it. If that makes sense]

I don't understand how they manage to do it? Mindboggling.

Everything they throw out is just the best of stuff.

Advertisement