Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currently Drinking - what's perking you up at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Cloudpicker - China Banka Natural

18/300 Clever Dripper
    Strawberry Jam | Rose Water | Red Grape

Altitude | 1350 masl 

Process | Natural

Variety | Catimor

My first chinese coffee, lovely creamy mouthfeel, and a slightly yirga/Ethiopian aroma from the cup, not much bitterness at all. Lovely warming cup.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just opened the latest Bailies......Ethopian Koke. Quite different, in a really nice way.

Fruity as described. Apricot, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Was in It's a trap in D1, they stock Dark Arts coffee in case anyone wanted to try it. They have a nice selection of different single origins but I picked up a Natural Papua New Guinea( Verdansk) as I never had it before. Really good in the clever dripper so I'd imagine it would be equally as good on the French press. Super bright with a light body with really intense mango notes.

Here's the official site in case anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Was in It's a trap in D1, they stock Dark Arts coffee in case anyone wanted to try it. They have a nice selection of different single origins but I picked up a Natural Papua New Guinea( Verdansk) as I never had it before. Really good in the clever dripper so I'd imagine it would be equally as good on the French press. Super bright with a light body with really intense mango notes.

Here's the official site in case anyone interested.

I got a kilo of the Lost Highway that they were using on the bar a few months ago off them, was really nice stuff. Wasn't overly expensive either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bean West - Tanzania

https://www.beanwestcoffee.com/store/p52/guatemala.html#/

Really nice, "standard" strong coffee - chocolately and burnt toffee.
    Maybe not ideal in teh clever dripper as there isn't much subtlety to it but packs a punch for sue!

• Advertisement

PS Roasters Peru Selva Andina

16/250 Aero
    Tasting notes: Butterscotch, strawberry, brown sugar

Process: Washed (Farmed organic)

Variety: Caturra, Catimor, Pache, Bourbon

Score: 86.5

Roast style: Espresso

Wow, I love this coffee, lovely and warming, sweet, creamy and luscious, can definitely see why they have Butterscotch and Brown Sugar on the tasting notes, and there's a small bit of bitterness in the finish to just lift the palate for the next mouthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheCKid

3FE Ethiopia Uraga (it's gone off the website)

Beautiful coffee, really.

Best I've had this year for sure - smells like brandy in the bag, and from a Clever is absolutely gorgeous

This was the best I've had this year too. Fantastic.

Have been really enjoying 3fe's Kenyan Ichamama AB this week. Really nice. Have been using the James Hoffman ultimate aeropress recipe (finally released!) for really pleasant results.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TheCKid wrote: »
    Have been really enjoying 3fe's Kenyan Ichamama AB this week. Really nice. Have been using the James Hoffman ultimate aeropress recipe (finally released!) for really pleasant results.
    Same as. Haven't used my Aeropress in almost a year, but whipped it out to give this method a try and the results were great. A really tasty clean cup. The 3FE did lose out in a side by side taste test to my home roasted natural Yirgacheffe (using the same method), which I've been really enjoying.

so......when are we expecting to get some samples of this home roasted Yirga?

• Advertisement

so......when are we expecting to get some samples of this home roasted Yirga?
    When you can spin by and pick some up :)
    I'm really happy with the roasts from this bean, but... I paid €19/kg for the green beans - they are both natural (important) and organic (not a high priority for me), but you lose about 1/6th of the mass during roasting, so factoring in the loss, it would costs around €23/kg plus labour (5 minutes of effort, 15 minutes of standing around), plus you assume the risk of ruining a roast - which thankfully hasn't happened yet. Compare that to the Badger and Dodo Ethiopia Nensebo Refissa, which I similarly enjoyed which was €37/kg + P&P, and while there are savings, they're no so great. Commercial roasters with some experience are always going to be able to produce a better and more consistent product, but home roasting lets you be a master of your own destiny - roast the beans that you like, experiment with roast profiles and always have freshly roasted beans when you need 'em.

So you're welcome to a sample - just don't expect them to be as good as a decent roasters - but it might just whet your appetite to give it a go yourself. Incidentally, I still have a popcorn popper (barely used), for anyone who wants to give home roasting a try - and you can have it for free with a sample or two of green beans.

If you are in Dublin, I'd love to grab some!

If you are in Dublin, I'd love to grab some!

Well this happened quickly - two sample coffees arrived in the post today!

200g each of both this Yirgacheffe and and this Brazilian.

I went with the Yirga first, made it with an Aeropress 15/250 inverted (to my usual recipe).

It's lovely, fruity and pretty much everything you expect from a good ethiopian cofee really

it's better than some coffee I've had in the last couple of years.

Big thanks to Krusty_Clown for sending them!

If you go full-on with the Krusty Koffee micro-roastery we want a boards discount code! :pac:

Drinking the Brazilian now, again Aero 15/250 inverted etc

It's darker roasted and that comes through in the end of the flavour, incredible mouthfeel though, definitely creamy and other flavour notes are darkberries and brown sugar.

I'll do an espresso with it next

Glad you liked them. I really love that Yirgacheffe. I'm hoping that some of the other naturals I bought have a similar fruity profile. You got lucky - I stuck on a 400g roast the other day and accidentally unplugged the roaster half way through. Had to wait 10 minutes for the roaster to cool-down before the safety feature would allow my to restart the roast. The results are a bit... scorched. :mad: Krusty's House of Brown is going to have to wait.. :)

I really love that Yirgacheffe

OK! I used the Clever Dripper this morning 22/330 James Hoffman Method (water first, no bloom phase, 2.30 total immersion time)

It's much better than the Aero was, I also ground a slight bit courser.

Loads of funky flavours this time, it's beautiful.

Sorry to spam the thread, but I do want to update when I use Krusty's beans, and what method I'm using

He recommended I use the Brazilian as an espresso, so I did that - 14g approx 30g out made up to approx 200ml Americano - it's a darker roast and with that I'm getting dark chocolate, nutty, bitter caramel flavours and almost caramel mouthfeel.

This is also pretty good brewed as suggested.

I have to say, if anyone else out there is home-roasting I'd love to give your beans a whirl, or if anyone is thinking of doing it, the results would seem to be excellent

I recently ordered some coffee from Wild Heart

This Washed Rwandan
    Origin : Gakeke, Rwanda
    Process: Washed
    Variety: Red Bourbon
    Altitude: 1650-2000MASL
    Flavour Profile: Thick Juicy Crisp

This Natural Ethiopian

Farmer: Ayehu Farm
    Origin : Amhara, Western Gojam, Ethiopia
    Process: Raised Bed Natural
    Variety: K7
    Altitude: 1750MASL
    Flavour Profile: Bright, Sweet, Floral

And they sent a free sample of this Double Fermentation Colombian
    Producer: Luisa Duran
    Origin :  Brusselas Huila, Colombia
    Process: Double Fermentation
    Variety: Pink Bourbon
    Altitude: 1700-1850MASL
    Flavour Profile: Winey Syrupy Fresh

I made all 3 using the James Hoffman Clever Dripper Method

The Rwandan is absolutely delicious, lovely mouthfeel almost like melted chocolate, and a lovely finish.

The Double Fermented is very interesting, some great flavours.

The Natural Ethiopian was funky and floral, just how I like it.

Would recommend the roasters, good roast dates. The only thing was they used Royal Mail so it took a while to arrive.

I think I'll order again from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Bob o link from Anam at the moment really like it nice flavour for milk based coffee.

• Advertisement

Currently getting through a bag of the Art of Coffee Direct Trade Colombian: https://artofcoffee.ie/product/colombia-narino-finca-la-piedra/

Really lovely, could drink buckets of it. A very easy to drink coffee and would be a good crowd pleaser too I'd say.

Definitely get the lime finish coming through at the end

Taste notes: Lime, Brown sugar, caramel

Variety: Caturra & Castillo Colombia
    Processing: washed
    Altitude: 1800 m.a.s.l
    SCAE points: 85 (excellent)

PS Roasters Peru Selva Andina

16/250 Aero
    Tasting notes: Butterscotch, strawberry, brown sugar

Process: Washed (Farmed organic)

Variety: Caturra, Catimor, Pache, Bourbon

Score: 86.5

Roast style: Espresso

Wow, I love this coffee, lovely and warming, sweet, creamy and luscious, can definitely see why they have Butterscotch and Brown Sugar on the tasting notes, and there's a small bit of bitterness in the finish to just lift the palate for the next mouthful.

Got some of this on your recommendation - it's lovely. Sad they are down to the last few bags.

So much going on in it as a filter - lovely and sweet and treacly. Could drink this permanently I think!

oh glad to see you taking my recommendation!

Full Circle had a really nice Peruvian recently too, Santos Linares, it's worth checking out if they still have it in stock. Must check out the PS Roasters Peruvian now.

I'm enjoying the El Salvadorian "Finca Las Mercedes" from last month's Imbibe Coffee Club too.

On the latest WCC bean - really nice, even though Indonesian beans aren't normally my thing. Has that smoky, spicey indonisian taste.

Origin: INDONESIA

Farm; BENER MERIAH -RADIAN

Region: BENER MERIAH, ACEH

Variety: TIM TIM

Altitude: 1150 -1450

Process: GILING BASAH (ORGANIC)

In the cup “ RASPBERRY AND TAMARIND WITH, SPICE AND DARK CHOCOLATE .”

Picked up some of this Coffee Collective coffee last week, bought it in Proper Order in Smithfield.

PRODUCED TOGETHER WITH Josphat Muriuki

QUALITY BONUS 241%

VARIETIES SL28, SL34, Ruiru 11, Batian

ALTITUDE 1,818 masl

HARVEST CALENDAR November-December

PROCESS Washed

Juicy acidity and intense sweetness. Full-bodied but refreshing with complex aromas of blackcurrant, gooseberry and blackberry

Very nice in the Clever

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

been enjoying ice coffee, cold brewed overnight for the last few days of heat. usual couple of pre lunch hot coffees before lunch, but then a couple of ice coffees in thea afternoon instead of hot. i'm only using pre ground velo from aldi to make it, but have to say i'm loving it. couple of ice cubes and nice ice cold coffee

mind giving us your process?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have a hario cold bew pot i picked up from B&D a while back .50g of ground coffee, fairly coarse(i'm using pre ground ) into the basket, slow drip off coffee to start with to get them all soaked, then fill gradually, stirring every once in a while. into the fridge overnight when full, in the morning i take out the basket and leave the coffee in the fridge, afternoon serve with some ice. i am jsut about to refill my glass now.

• Advertisement

Advertisement