Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nice "capture"...

Options
  • 08-03-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Does anyone know, why do people say "nice capture" instead of nice picture/image/shot?

Is it something to do with the difference between film or digital, or the difference between a virgin photograph and a PP'd one? Or maybe it's an old legacy term.

I find it a bit weird.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

condra wrote: »
    Hey.

Does anyone know, why do people say "nice capture" instead of nice picture/image/shot?

Is it something to do with the difference between film or digital, or the difference between a virgin photograph and a PP'd one? Or maybe it's an old legacy term.

I find it a bit weird.

I dont know but I was miffed when someone said I had nice SNAPS now that really irritates me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I don't like 'snaps ' - sounds really condescending. OTOH, 'Capture' is right up there with 'Glycee' as a word that I think is somewhat pretentious.

I think it's a photo.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yeah it does sound kinda pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I like 'photograph'.

I'm just worried that I might be technically incorrect. Is it OK to call an 800px digital postcard a photograph?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I remember a topic on flickr a long while back on this, that went on for months!

It's a lazy thing on sites like that, when people can't think of anything better to say, but continue to comment just to get some back. They do the rounds with a C&P of "Nice capture".

I don't mind shot , photograph or image. I hate capture, snap or "pic"!

Worse though, is when someone says "Nice picture, you must have a really good camera!?" ... Grrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Its because you 'capture' the moment on film.

Some togs hate it because capturing a moment implies a 'right place right time' type activity, where as most times it is set up and a photography is on purpose.

In that case every photograph ever is a capture. It's when that is all they have to say about your Image, they may as well say nothing at all.

In that case every photograph ever is a capture. It's when that is all they have to say about your Image, they may as well say nothing at all.

It's oft the case in the world of internet photography (aka forums and the like) that people feel that every comment placed against a photo must be brimming with substance. I often seen internet forum members (not so much here I must say) moan when "nice shot" doesn't fulfill their artistic expectations... but personally I would never discount politeness.

As someone who cares very little for C+C I enjoy the liberal approach taken in the Random Photo thread for example where a simple press of the 'Thank You' button is a simple acknowledgement that you enjoy some aspect of the photo/photograph/capture/snap/shot presented.

The simplest of acknowledgements are often all it takes to give people the drive they feel they may need.

You've not been hit enough by the nice capture bandits obviously. Im talking about the ones who do it in passing, and across 100s of images they barely stop to look at. Comment whores, thinking they'll get some back and maybe hit explore with a 'capture' of their painted fingernails or something. If someone says it under my image alone I appreciate it, the fact they actually looked. I'm not a compliment chaser, often get more out of constructive criticism

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Christ, if anyone says nice snap it'd drive me mental, it's basically saying that it's shíte..

never heard capture, but I'd assume it was being used in a context where there's actually a moment being captured - lovers kiss or some such... otherwise it's just someone being weird/trying to sound like they know what they're talking about :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

I don't mind 'nice capture' - what I do mind is 'Oh that's a nice picture, you have such a good camera!' :mad:

You've not been hit enough by the nice capture bandits obviously. Im talking about the ones who do it in passing, and across 100s of images they barely stop to look at. Comment whores, thinking they'll get some back and maybe hit explore with a 'capture' of their painted fingernails or something. If someone says it under my image alone I appreciate it, the fact they actually looked. I'm not a compliment chaser, often get more out of constructive criticism

I assume you are talking about Flickr? In which case I would question what you expect to get out of Flickr given that, well... it is what it is and probably forever will be.

Personally I just use it for hosting and browsing. I add to the odd group, tags are minimal and I don't get a cold, lonely feeling when most of my photos have between 0 and 10 views.

If I get a sparkly medal or 'Better than God' award then I smile and maybe laugh a little... but I never expect to find the meaning of life, photographically speaking, via comments left on my photos.

As for "great shot, must be a great camera" - I just smile... not worth bothering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

*eadaoin wrote: »
    I don't mind 'nice capture' - what I do mind is 'Oh that's a nice picture, you have such a good camera!' :mad:

A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door, the host said ‘I love your pictures - they’re wonderful; you must have a fantastic camera.’ He said nothing until dinner was finished, then he responded ‘That was a wonderful dinner; you must have a terrific stove.’
    Sam Haskins

*eadaoin wrote: »

I said almost exactly this further up ^ ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think the term "Nice Capture" used to be used to describe a photograph in which the timing was right. An example would be the golfer looking down the barrel with the ball caught in flight or a high jumper where they are just hitting the sand etc. Back in the day when shooting film and when most of us could not afford motor drives, much less the film to feed them, these sort of shots would require superb timing. Getting that just right was a "Nice Capture" as you have captured the essential moment. Now, of course, we have gazumpteen frames per second and googlebytes of memory so these shots are more common place as you just have to sift through the hundreds of frames to pick the one which was just right. The skill is still there to set things up correctly but technology means the probability of a good outcome is a lot higher. Having said that, there are still shots where the tog has caught that unique moment becauce they have anticipated it and worked to record the perfect moment. These shots still should attract the accolade "Nice Capture" but I fear it is over used in some circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I probably say it sometimes, I guess if you capture a scene that looks great or something where timing is everything, that what I'd be refering to

This is what I'm talking about re: Flickr and that statement:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/flickr_noobs/

In this group you're encouraged to post 5 "Nice capture" comments on other members of the group's images.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Well guys and girls, a photograph is surely a moment captured on your film or sensor without a doubt. God we are getting so sophisticated in analysing the comments left on the posted images we make with our cameras.

Would you prefer if every single comment you got was merely "nice capture" john? I prefer a little more feedback than that personally, and have no bothers with saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Well guys and girls, a photograph is surely a moment captured on your film or sensor without a doubt. God we are getting so tediously naval gazing in analysing the comments left on the posted images we make with our cameras.

fyp [with my opinion] i would have typed something similar myself, i'm just too busy at the moment commenting ''nice capture'' on all of photos on flickr. by everyone. ever.

• Advertisement

Cool, do mine while you're at it. Sure ya can never get enough of those nice capture comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I always thought like some others have said that nice capture was pointedly used for pics where timing had been crucial. It makes sense then, doesn't it ? But to see "nice capture" on an ordinary landscape would look odd, like whoever put it there couldn't be bothered thinking of something else.
    These awards things and empty comments annoy me a lot, I hate when I know a photo of mine isn't great and people say : wow great pic ! (doesn't happen too often either :o:p). But anyway I hate seeing them on someone else's pic that I thought was just ok. Like : "This picture belongs to the World of GREAT Photography !" bling bling trophy clipart. Doesn't help one bit does it ?
    Having said that, often if I make a sincere meaningful comment on a person's pic, on Flickr, I'm a bit worried they might take it the wrong way (since I didn't say : Nice capture !). So I often give a bland comment out of pure cowardice :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Would you prefer if every single comment you got was merely "nice capture" john? I prefer a little more feedback than that personally, and have no bothers with saying so.

I would expect some feedback with constructive comments if they said "Jaysus that image hurts my eyes, please remove it ASAP", but "nice capture" to me means that they like it for what it is and needs nothing extra added.
    It's feedback on the perceived "Crap Capture" you want.
    What is even more annoying is "nice capture, but........."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Personally I've never minded what terms people use to describe a photo while commenting on it.

One thing that has always annoyed me though is when people use the word "some" when referencing a collection of shots.

"there's some excellent photos there"

"you've got some great work"

To me, it's almost like people are afraid to commit to a general positive comment, it's never "excellent work" or "great shots"....it seems to be always prefaced with "some".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Oooohhhh, I hate 'togs'. Every time I see that word I get a (rather unflattering image, unfortunately) of myself in a pair of dayglo speedos...

If somebody says to me 'nice shot you have a great camera' I generally take it in the spirit that it is meant. I have many friends who are not into photography but who enjoy my photographs.

I agree with CabanSails view that some photographs are, indeed, captures - the shutter button is pressed at the 'defining moment', but I think that most people who use the word would be quite impressed if you said ' Oh well technically it is called a .....insert any one of the following:

abduction,
    acquirement,
    acquisition,
    apprehension,
    appropriation,
    catch,
    collar,
    dropshot,
    grabshot,
    nab,
    seizure,
    snatch
    custody

Bah, I am grumpy this evening...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm terrible at commenting on pics so generally don't. Nice Capture is just you're common or garden banal doff of the cap. However....the term: "lucky" really gets my goat (a lot:mad:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

condra wrote: »
    Hey.

I find it a bit weird.

Sorry I won't do it again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

This is what I'm talking about re: Flickr and that statement:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/flickr_noobs/

In this group you're encouraged to post 5 "Nice capture" comments on other members of the group's images.

No your not, they encourage you to post 5 "Great Captures" :ptotally different comment and requires its own thread.......not, although looking through the photos on the front page I only found one "nice caputure" so as a group its a fail.

Personally I've no problem with the "nice capture" comment, as CS says its probably more a hangover from Film Days when, and I think, it would have been seen to be a compliment rather than off the cuff.

I dont really care if I get comments or not as I post photos that are pleasing to me firstly and if someone views them and comments positively/negitively then thats ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭papachango

Personally I think anyone who uses the word 'capture' instead of the word 'photograph' or 'image' is a proper dick. Possibly with an over estimated sense of self worth and importance. Also they do not understand the English language and how it actually works! 'Nice capture'. I'd like their mouth to 'capture' someones fist. Now THAT is an image I would like to see!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Haha I didn't realise it would be such a hot topic when I posted this thread.

Honestly, I don't mind when people say "nice capture" on flickr, though I do wish people would reserve it for when a moment has been caught with great timing or good fortune.

I get the impression, some people say it because they think it sounds hip. Same kinda people who pointlessly abbreviate things or insist on feigning insight because they are so desperate for a bit of reassurance.

example wrote:
    "Hey man, nice capture, the 90000xyz is such a great cam, its got like a really warm sensor. Not everyone notices the difference but I do"....

OK, so maybe it does bother me a bit, but I'm a cynical old grumpy pants.

Advertisement