Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I used to live in Awear jeans. Wore them away at the thighs many a time (not a good sign for my legs :pac:)
    I feel your pain sunny

Folks, i was just wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of or used shirtbyhand.ie?

I was mooching around looking for a place to buy shirts online, and was searching boards. Seen someone shilling the above site (rarely a good sign, admittedly), but flicked onto the website, and aside from questionable image rights/usage, it seems a decent service (if it is, indeed, trustyworthy).

Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of or used them?

I'm looking to get a couple of decent shirts to replace Tesco's Finest that I've outgrown. But I find that I have two shirts I like. One is branded Benetti and is a 16.5" neck. The other is branded White Label and is a 17.5" neck. Both fit reasonably well. Because of this, I don't want to splash a load of cash online, and get a few shirts I can't wear (same applies to retail stores - I was in Dublin today and took a wander around a fair few stores, from Debenhams, Dunnes, Penneys, etc. and although I was on the verge of buying a few in Debenhams, I found that because the price point was relatively high at €40-60 per shirt, i thought it was too risky to spend that and have nothing fit. (And unfortunately, having shirts open, to try on, doesn't seem to be the done thing, even though every company seems to measure the same distance differently).

Anyone any advice?
    (for what it's worth, the White Label shirt is good. Great material, etc. but can't seem to find them online).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

I don't. do. girl. clothes.
    Wish I did! They don't feel right or look right on me 'n I can't wear them properly.
    The shapes, fabric, and designs are just not my thing.
    This is a source of great frustration for me and my (extremely popular and fashionable) bff when we shop together.
    Wish my style (or lack thereof) was more acceptable... to everyone.
    Just venting here, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Folks, i was just wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of or used shirtbyhand.ie?

Just saw this now- I've recently bought 2 shirts (another on order!) and I'm VERY happy with them. Laurence who does the measuring etc) is great, knows what he's at, and is very professional.

My first shirt had to go back to be refitted, but I don't have an issue with that- something bespoke is unlikely to fit perfect immediately, and it just needed a bit of tweaking.

The only issue I have is that some of the stitching on one of the buttonholes on one of my shirts has unravelled a little, but it's not noticeable, and doesn't effect the shirt quality.

But for €69 delivered, it's perfect. As a woman who likes more masculine style, trying to find a shirt that had the collar and cuffs I like, but with the ability to fit both my boobs and my neck properly (if it fit across the chest, the neck would gape HORRIBLY) was really difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

B00! wrote: »
    I don't. do. girl. clothes.
    Wish I did! They don't feel right or look right on me 'n I can't wear them properly.
    The shapes, fabric, and designs are just not my thing.
    This is a source of great frustration for me and my (extremely popular and fashionable) bff when we shop together.
    Wish my style (or lack thereof) was more acceptable... to everyone.
    Just venting here, sorry.

TBH I used to feel exactly like you and now I just brush off the weird looks. Especially since I tend to dress better than a lot of guys wearing menswear. Not saying I'm brilliant or anything, but at 35 I'm confident enough.

Have you checked out DapperQ and other blogs for women in menswear inspiration? Instagram (check the #DapperQ tag) will be your friend- there's LOADS of us out there. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

TBH I used to feel exactly like you and now I just brush off the weird looks. Especially since I tend to dress better than a lot of guys wearing menswear. Not saying I'm brilliant or anything, but at 35 I'm confident enough.

Have you checked out DapperQ and other blogs for women in menswear inspiration? Instagram (check the #DapperQ tag) will be your friend- there's LOADS of us out there. :cool:

Thanks b&c, just hate it when people important to me look at me with judgement. I try to fit in, but I can't seem to pull off the look well enough (and it feels wrong.)

I have only checked out your pinterest posts (and drooled), so thanks, will check out the blogs for sure! Really :eek: loads? (yay! oh yay!) :D...in my world, I seem to be the only one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I have the skirt in the below pic that I want to wear to a wedding in July. I bought it last year and I wore it to a wedding with a top similar to the pic and loved it but over all it was a more casual look than I'd normally go for at weddings. This wedding is gonna be more dressy than that one so I need a different top to wear with it but I'm totally stumped as to what style to wear. I think I like the idea of a Bardot style top but I always feel they can be quite restrictve around shoulders and arms.

I'm 5ft nothing, size 10 and can look very busty in low cut tops so would like to avoid deep cuts.

419600.PNG

Has anyone seen anything that might look well with it? I'm quite short between my bust and hips so blazers don't really sit well on me and I'm not concerned with getting a top that suits a jacket or anything.

When looking last time for a top I couldn't find any other colour other than white that went well with it so if anyone has a recommendations for alternative colours for the top too that would be amazing!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Is anyone else fed up of all the Harry Potter and Disney stuff that's in Penneys at the moment? Clothes, nightwear, homewear, accessories. Seems to be impossible to get any thing else in there at the moment.
    Either that or I'm getting too old for Penneys?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is anyone else fed up of all the Harry Potter and Disney stuff that's in Penneys at the moment? Clothes, nightwear, homewear, accessories. Seems to be impossible to get any thing else in there at the moment.
    Either that or I'm getting too old for Penneys?!
    No I agree. I don’t get the obsession with Harry Potter - I would have gone to the cinema to see the films but that was years ago. The Disney stuff is fine in the kiddies section but in the adults? Think I’m a bit long in the tooth for it. I’ve found my local Penneys to have gotten quite poor this last few months. Before I could leave without dropping at least €50, now I walk out with nothing, it’s very meh. You see nice things on Instagram and on bloggers instastories from Mary St and Liffey Valley but the stock is not appearing down the country and if it does, they get a very small amount in.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    No I agree. I don’t get the obsession with Harry Potter - I would have gone to the cinema to see the films but that was years ago. The Disney stuff is fine in the kiddies section but in the adults? Think I’m a bit long in the tooth for it. I’ve found my local Penneys to have gotten quite poor this last few months. Before I could leave without dropping at least €50, now I walk out with nothing, it’s very meh. You see nice things on Instagram and on bloggers instastories from Mary St and Liffey Valley but the stock is not appearing down the country and if it does, they get a very small amount in.

Absolutely agree. I'm in Limerick and both stores here really seem to have gone downhill. I go down to Kerry a good bit and both stores there are much better. Tralee in particular is a good store.

But yeah, the Disney stuff is doing nothing for me. To be honest I find it a bit strange when grown adults have a Disney obsession (I have a 40 year friend like this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

As a big Harry Potter fan, I have to say - I'm sick to death of it as well!! It was such a novelty when they first started stocking it but that must have been 2 years ago, it's so overdone now, hate it! At least with the Disney stuff, they do cycles of different movies, so it's not all the same, but everyone's well tired of the Harry Potter stuff now.

I've found the stores getting to be shocking with their stock, you'll see something nice on Instagram and be waiting for it in the store, it'll come into stock one week, get sold out and then you'll never see it in store again.
    The latest thing I've noticed is, they pick random sizes of items to stock, and only those sizes. Don't know how many times I've seen something I liked, and on the rail there's 10 x size 10s and 10 x size 12s and nothing else, ever. Liffey Valley is terrible for it. Went to Blanch a month ago looking for PJs for the colder weather and I swear, every long PJ bottom in stock, there were 20 x size XS on the rail and nothing else.
    I find their clothes have gone way downhill, and they don't make bigger sized clothing well at all. I would have only really gone in there for PJs but seems I'm wasting my time now going near the place!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m have a sneaking suspicion that I’m starting to get too old for high street fashion, in some ways. I find myself seeing more and more items and thinking “Who would wear that” or “I’m definitely too old for that!”.

I have no interest in wearing clothing or accessories that are basically merchandise for something else, so I’d totally skip past any Disney or Harry Potter items. I’m now thinking more about clothes (and shoes) that are good quality and will last a long time, and ideally aren’t made by slave labour. But my budget only goes so far at the same time!

Faith wrote: »
    I’m have a sneaking suspicion that I’m starting to get too old for high street fashion, in some ways. I find myself seeing more and more items and thinking “Who would wear that” or “I’m definitely too old for that!”.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are Faith? I'm late thirties, am wondering if it's just me!

Do you mind if I ask how old you are Faith? I'm late thirties, am wondering if it's just me!

I’m 31, so it’s definitely not too early for you to be feeling it! :D

I’m 31, so it’s definitely not too early for you to be feeling it! :D

Ah you're only a young one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I’ve found that since Penney’s changed their sizing, their sizing has actually gotten worse. I’m a size 10 but I got a skirt recently in a 12-14 which fits just perfect. I had to size down in a top to a 6-8 and even at that there’s still room in it. I looked at running bottoms in 10-12 and the waistband was much bigger than that. Their sizing is all over the place and I seem to be between their sizes now.

Oh their sizes are an absolute disaster now. I'm a size 6-8. I used to buy jumpers/tops in a size small in Penneys. Now that their sizes have changed, I have to buy a 2xs which is supposed to be a size 2-4. No way am I a size 2-4. The real pain in the ass then is that they only get a couple of 2xs in stock and they're gone straightaway, so I can't even get clothes there most of the time now. Realistically a 2xs is what their size s would have been before.
    I took a top into the fitting room recently in a 6 and an 8 and both were HUGE. I ended up buying it in a 4, yet another top I couldn't get the 8 over my boobs and I'm only an a/b cup!

They really need to cop on with their sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Where do you shop when you get too old for the 'high street'?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Depends on your style and what your ideal everyday look is! I find Cos great for really nice structured tops that I can wear with jeans or with trousers for work.

Zara can be worth your time, if you just sort of ignore their styling online or on the mannequins. The looks can seems very out there I find but if you pare them back to individual pieces there's a lot of good in there.

I love the Sunday Times Style mag for a bit of inspo, and the Sunday Independent Life is good for featuring clothes you can actually buy easily in Ireland.

In Penney's I just glide by the character stuff, I can't believe they're shifting so much of it to warrant taking over so much of the shop! I don't mind a few bits for around the house, or on a notebook or two, but I do find it a bit odd for grown women to be so obsessed. In saying that I am the proud owner of Puma X Hello Kitty runners!

Addle wrote: »
    Where do you shop when you get too old for the 'high street'?

I’m tending to stick to more high-end high street, if that makes sense. I’d say 75% of my dresses come from Closet London, and I tend to look more at places than Oasis and maybe Warehouse. Still high street, but a little more classic and less trendy than Topshop etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

H&M empire except H&M brand. Most of my purchases are from Cos, Arket, Weekday, and Other Stories. I really like Mango, Zara for trousers and some work basics from Uniqlo. An odd purchase from Finery or Uterque and that is 90% of my wardrobe. I'm not overly into florals or boho style so a lot of British (unhealthy obsession with florals) or French ( boho) brands don't appeal to me at the moment.

I actually don't buy that many clothes and keep them for years, I have couple of tops that are about 20 years old.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Oh I love Weekday! I practically fleeced the store in Copenhagen this time last year.

I've gotten a few expensive bits from Maje in the last year, certainly not in my everyday budget but their dresses are lovely, and lots of options come to below the knee which is always a positive in my books!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I’ve found that since Penney’s changed their sizing, their sizing has actually gotten worse. I’m a size 10 but I got a skirt recently in a 12-14 which fits just perfect. I had to size down in a top to a 6-8 and even at that there’s still room in it. I looked at running bottoms in 10-12 and the waistband was much bigger than that. Their sizing is all over the place and I seem to be between their sizes now.

I very rarely shop in Penneys but I got lured in today. I saw a lovely purple coat. I’m normally a size 12 and I always wear a 14 in coats because I need it across the shoulders.

I tried on the 14 in this coat and it was swimming on me.

I tried on the 12, and it was swimming on me.

I tried on the 10 and it was swimming on me and the arms were too short.

I get that the style is supposed to be roomy, but this was ridiculous! I also picked up a “medium” cardigan and could tell just by looking at it that I could fit two of me in it.

Is it an attempt at extreme vanity sizing or what? As if suddenly going from a 12 to an 8 in one shop is going to make you magically skinny in your head?!

I tried on the 14 in this coat and it was swimming on me.

I tried on the 12, and it was swimming on me.

I tried on the 10 and it was swimming on me and the arms were too short.

Oh stop! I was in Penneys trying on coats too today. A black & white one in my case. I'd normally be a 6-8 in clothes, but would tend to go for an 8 in coats/jackets in case I have a bulky jumper underneath. Well I looked at them on the rail and didn't even bother trying on the 8. I put the 6 on and it's safe to say that it would probably have fitted Mr Crumble who weighs 12 stone +!

As you say, they are supposed to be a bit loose and not too fitted, but this was taking the Michael! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Sometimes I think the poor sweat shop workers who slave away making cheap clothes for us are just having a laugh at our expense when they add size tags to clothes.
    Definitely no quality assurance when it comes to clothes sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Hi all, may I ask a question of online shopping experiences? I am very inexperienced and leery of shopping online for clothes (for proper fit and quality) and would appreciate your advice.

I really like some of the fashions (and the discount prices) shown on a repetitive Boards banner Google advert from (a supposed UK site) called Noracora. Since I've never heard of this shop before, I googled reviews. All of the positive ones are suspiciously not well written: "The beauty of woman comes out only when she dressed with her body and in actual fact..." "It is very well taken on my body, I liked my boyfriend, I look more sexy to see..." and my favourite was "ethical business with pug to cuddle..." Sorry, but don't they sound fake?

I googled again and found a disconcerting listing on reddit warning of a scam alert and insisting Noracora is a fraudulent site using a known serial-cybercriminal address in the Uk for their Hong Kong based operation... but since I don't use reddit nor do any online buying, I am not quite sure who or what to believe. Would Boards actually list a scam site on their google banner adverts? (I seriously doubt it.)

So, guess my questions are, has anyone ordered from any of the banner adverts before? is it safe? or do you know of any reputable online shop that carries similar styles to Noracora?

(and thanks!)

I’m not sure how banner adverts work, but it might be targeted advertising that boards doesn’t directly control. My experience is that hose websites are all fake, and pop up in various incarnations. Telltale signs are gorgeous dresses on beautiful models that are FAR cheaper than you know they should be.

I believe there’s a thread in Feedback or somewhere that you can report propblematic ads to boards.

I’m not sure how banner adverts work, but it might be targeted advertising that boards doesn’t directly control. My experience is that hose websites are all fake, and pop up in various incarnations. Telltale signs are gorgeous dresses on beautiful models that are FAR cheaper than you know they should be.

I believe there’s a thread in Feedback or somewhere that you can report propblematic ads to boards.

Good to learn, will take heed! So appreciate it Faith! :)
    (I had no idea :o)

• Advertisement

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Good to learn, will take heed! So appreciate it Faith! :)
    (I had no idea :o)

No problem! Other tell tale signs are shipping that takes more than 5 days. Even coming from the US, items will be with you in a week or so, generally speaking. Chinese knock-offs will have info under their “Delivery” section that may indicate time needed to “process” your order (I.e. make it to shoddy standards) and it’ll then take a long time to ship. You’ll often seem a quoted time frame of 10-30 working days.

How they generally work is they steal genuine pictures of clothing so it looks convincing. But then they just knock something together when you order it, using vastly inferior materials, that may or may not fit or even resemble the item you ordered.

The easiest rule of thumb is, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Also, read the delivery/return info pages and see if there’s a return address provided. Genuine retailers that sell at high volume and low price (e.g. boohoo, NastyGal) will have their address available. Knock off sites hide theirs to disguise the fact they’re in Hong Kong, so may only provide an email address.

Advertisement