Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats Happening...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

All Eyes Will Be On Dublin Skies For Air Spectacular
    FlightFest, a once-in- a-lifetime, international fly past; will take place in the centre of Dublin city on Sunday, 15th September 2013.

This will be a truly historic event involving more than 30 aircraft flying along the path of the River Liffey right through the centre of Dublin. Flightfest is expected to be one of the largest National events of ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ and is estimated that thousands of people from Dublin, all over Ireland and abroad, will line the banks of the River Liffey from Dublin Port up to the Customs House to experience this unique event.

A large section of the Quays from the 02 (Dublin Port) as far as the Customs House will be pedestrianised for the Free Family event, with many family attractions and festivities available, contributing to a carnival aviation atmosphere that will showcase Irish aviation.

The flypast through the city centre will take two hours to complete and the flights will be sequenced at five minute intervals.

Among the 30 aircraft taking place will be (http://flightfest.ie/displaying-aircraft) the historic 1940s B-17 Flying Fortress (Sally -B), a 1941 Catalina Flying Boat, the last flying Avro Vulcan, which was famed for its role in the 1982 Falklands War, the Hawker Hunter from the 50s, a C130 Hercules, an Aer Lingus Airbus A330, a 1936 DH 84 Dragon, an Etihad Airbus 340 and a British Airways A380, which carries almost 500 passengers.

Flightfest is proudly brought to you by the Irish Aviation Authority, Dublin City Council and the Gathering Ireland 2013, with the support of key sponsors and event partners.

For more information, see www.flightfest.ie or www.facebook.com/flightfest

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ArchitectDublin

A day of conversations on photography this Saturday at IMMA, Dublin

http://www.constructingtheview.com/

€50, €35 concession
    Thomas Struth is 'headlining'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If free mornings you might be interested in a ramble about the park.
    LANDSCAPE AND NATURE PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP,
    TOMMY KEOGH.

Capture the interesting and diverse features of Corkagh Park in the company
    of local photographer Tommy Keogh. This former estate parkland with rolling
    landscapes, fishing lake and wildlife is one of the hidden treasures of South Dublin County. This photography workshop is aimed at people of all abilities.

OR
    PHOTO WALK WITH AN ECO-EYE, CREATESCHOOL.
    A Photo Walk: (for the uninitiated) is a two hour session where participants ranging from complete beginners to budding photographers come along to the Rua Red Arts Centre to learn about some photography theory and then put that theory into practice on a guided walk of the local area. By including the natural and created environs as subjects, the Photo Walk will concentrate on eco awareness. We have a number of cameras available or you can use your own.

Two dates on this one.

via South Dublin County Council's Eco Week <-booking details in there (link is a sizeable pdf - just don't download on your mobile :eek: )

2nd April 10.30am (2 hrs) Corkagh Park

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Utv tonight at 12.10 Perspective. David Suchet-people I have shot. The actor take photographs

• Registered Users Posts: 24 phoneranger

Hi all

just letting you know about the Greystones Art & Photography Exhibition (GRAPE) which runs every Sunday in Greystones Harbour from 12 noon till 5:30. It is a fund raiser for the local tidy towns and cost to display your work is €20 for the day. we also have crafts stalls available and would love to see some new people taking part. This event is now in its third year and runs from the June bank holiday weekend until the last weekend in August. You can take a look at our facebook page by searching Greystones Arte and Photography Exhibition to see what it is like. Further details are available from me [Mod snip: Read Charter - no personal contact details. Contact via PM only]. hope to see some of you there soon. Jody

• Advertisement

Bray air show. 2014 Show, a free fun day for all the family! Sunday July 20th 3.30 pm

http://brayairdisplay.com/

Jammers if i remember correctly from previous year. Get there early.

Vintage & Veteran Car Rally in Trim, County Meath this weekend. Sunday 20th, so if you don't go to Bray, come to Trim. Generally its very well attended. Lots of interesting photo ops.

Free HDR shoot by the Institute of Photography - http://www.iop.ie/courses/free/freesessions/hdr.htm

Yes, there may be water, blue light, clouds, and even a sawn ffs! Get signed up now.

(in seriousness, Dave at the IOP does some great training - I think that's been the experience to date by boardsies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

One tip is to go there on Saturday, they normally do a trial run with the planes, no people and it's more condensed. You have to sit through a lot of breaks on the Sunday.
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Bray air show. 2014 Show, a free fun day for all the family! Sunday July 20th 3.30 pm

http://brayairdisplay.com/

Jammers if i remember correctly from previous year. Get there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Free HDR shoot by the Institute of Photography - http://www.iop.ie/courses/free/freesessions/hdr.htm

Yes, there may be water, blue light, clouds, and even a sawn ffs! Get signed up now.

(in seriousness, Dave at the IOP does some great training - I think that's been the experience to date by boardsies)

Just wondering if anyone registered for this and heard back?

• Advertisement

Photo Op Each Saturday for next 6 weeks. (if you are about town).

Tomorrow and for the next 6 Saturday's, a Ceremonial Military Guard will parade at the site of the ‘National Memorial to Members of the Defence Forces who died in the Service of the State’, at Merrion Square park, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Certified by the Guinness World Records for two consecutive years as the world’s largest photography contest, Ireland has never been a part of Wiki Loves Monuments until now.

Wiki Loves Monuments is an international photo contest, organised by Wikimedia, the movement behind Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – a global collaboration authored by volunteers. This year, the Wikimedia Ireland Community are running the competition for the very first time in Ireland.

The contest is inspired by the successful 2010 pilot in the Netherlands which resulted in 12,500 freely licensed images uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. It has grown substantially since its inception; in 2013 369,589 photographs were submitted by 11,943 participants from over 50 countries.

Cultural heritage is an important part of the knowledge that Wikipedia collects and disseminates. An image is worth a thousand words, in any language and local enthusiasts can (re)discover the cultural, historical, or scientific significance of their neighbourhood.

The Irish contest, focussing on Ireland’s national monuments, runs from August 23-September 30.

For more details about photowalks and taking part, see http://www.wikilovesmonuments.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dlight

Don't forget that Puck Fair is on in Killorgan, starting next Sunday 10th and on for three days. Should be a great photo opportunity.

Macnas doing its thing in Dublin on 27th of October. Photo op maybe?

Time: 5pm
    Date: Monday 27th October

http://www.bramstokerfestival.com/portfolio/macnas/

Just saw a post that there is an exhibition starting 23rd October of Father Browne's photographs - some are absolutely beautiful. I don't see any info up on the Farmleigh site though.

https://www.facebook.com/Farmleigh
    // Groundbreaking exhibition of Father Browne’s Greatest Photographs comes to Farmleigh Gallery on 23 October //

Frank Browne took his first photographs during a European tour in 1897, just before joining the Jesuits. These pictures convey something of the remarkable talent of a man who was to emerge as the most significant Irish photographer in the first half of the twentieth century. In 1912 his Titanic photographs brought international fame and by 1916 he was a WW1 chaplain to the Irish Guards. In 1921 took his final vows and still suffering from war wounds he went to Australia to recuperate and made a superb series of photographs of life in that country. On his return to Ireland he continued to record aspects of Irish ways of life both personal and corporate which, when added to his pictures in South Africa, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Spain and England constitute a fascinating interpretation of a rapidly evolving world. He was active in the photo-exhibition world and wrote articles for “The Kodak Magazine”. During this time he made 41,500 negatives. He died in 1960 and his work was largely forgotten.
    In 1985 Fr. EE O’Donnell SJ. came upon the trunk containing the negatives and quickly recognised that the pictures were exceptional but in many cases were deteriorating. This necessitated urgent action to conserve, duplicate and catalogue the entire collection. Edwin and David Davison of Davison and Associates carried out this work and now market the collection worldwide.

For twenty-five years they have believed that a definitive publication of Browne’s finest artistic works selected for their intrinsic merit alone would bring the photographer’s work to a worldwide audience. All these images have been re-mastered to print at a quality not possible twenty-five years ago and do justice to Browne’s marvelous photographs.

These pictures form the basis of this exhibition, which in conjunction with the Yale University Press publication, “Frank Browne, A Life Through the Lens”, will position him in his rightful place as one of the twentieth centuries great photographers //

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Went to see this exhbition yesterday and it was a real pleasure to view, with over 200 photos on display. One part on the exhibition specifically concentrates on Ireland in the 1930's & 1940's, a truly wonderful social commentry of Ireland.

The second part concentrates on his travels in UK, Australia etc, along with a number of very evocative photos from his time in the Irish Guards during World War 1.

It is in the Gallery at Farmleigh, Phoenix Park until Dec 23rd, open 7 days a week with free admission.

Well worth a visit :)

The Press Photographers Association of Ireland 2015 exhibition is now OPEN at Dundrum Town Centre on the top floor (and it's free...).
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Press-Photographers-Association-of-Ireland/541007022592309?fref=photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

there is a bike show on in the rds on the weekend of the 28th feb that could be interesting. it's on for the full weekend and think you have to buy tickets. my hubbie loves bikes so i might take my camera with me and see if i can get some interesting shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

There is a new facebook group for people wishing to get into astrophotography. We are planning to go out to the upper lake in Glendalough on the 18th Feb depending on the weather. The times are from 21:00-23:00. People are more than welcome to come. There is more information on the closed group Astro Photography Dublin/Wicklow.

• Advertisement

Riamfada wrote: »
    There is a new facebook group for people wishing to get into astrophotography. We are planning to go out to the upper lake in Glendalough on the 18th Feb depending on the weather. The times are from 21:00-23:00. People are more than welcome to come. There is more information on the closed group Astro Photography Dublin/Wicklow.
    Already got a photo-walk pencilled in for that date but I would love to hear of any further events. Also need top pick someones brain about fitting a webcam to a reflector.

Normally don't venture on to Facebook, would you have a link to their page? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Certainly. Sorry about the delay. Link.

It looks like its going to be a cloudy night so Im not sure if it will go ahead.

Certainly. Sorry about the delay. Link.

It looks like its going to be a cloudy night so Im not sure if it will go ahead.

Thanks Riamfada, I sent you on a PM.

http://ippaconference.com/about-the-conference/
    IPPA annual conference on 8th of March in Ballsbridge.
    Speakers:
    Andy Gaines
    George Karbus
    Kate Hopewell Smith
    Naoise Mc Nally
    Enda Cavanagh
    Peter Gordon
    Kelvin Gillmor
    Corin Bishop
    Brendan Lyon
    Neil Warner

The Cork Salon is also happening this weekend, with a variety of events and workshops on Sunday.

http://www.corkcameragroup.net/services/cork-international-salon/
    9am-5pm Trade Show (Free entry)
    9am-5pm Exhibition (Free entry)

9am Model Photo Shoot (€10 for 10 minutes, bring your own camera. Lights & backgrounds provided.)
    10am Seminar Seamus Costelloe
    12pm Seminar Julien Behal
    2pm Seminar John Hooton
    (€7.50 per person per seminar/special offer: €15 for all three)

I'll be there if anyone is about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 phoneranger

Greystones Art & Photography Exhibition (GRAPE) which now includes crafts, is starting on Sunday May 31st at 12noon in Greystones Harbour. Contact me VIA PM for more information Jody

One of our posters and regular winner of POTW is having a solo exhibition of his street photography.

2nd-8th June, Film Base in Templebar. I'm pretty sure it will be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Art Deko

Hi all,
    drop in over the next few days if you're in the Temple bar area and say hello or just check out the images.

http://www.thejournal.ie/photos-people-dublin-exhibition-temple-bar-2138602-Jun2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Great exhibition, lovely guy, highly recommended :)

Advertisement